Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Tulpehocken, Berks County, 06/12/2010

From Eastern PA
There are heron all over that joint. I could literally see four in one single stretch between the 2nd and 4th deflector last night. I don't typically see them standing in water though, usually in trees or on rocks. I don't think they like getting their feet wet. . . . lol. I guess they are having a field day right now with the incredibly low water levels. Easy pickings. Too bad something can't be done about the heron, but my guess is they are probably represented by Heron Unlimited.

Based upon the temps I have taken the last couple of weeks, Cacoosing impact is practically lost by the first riffle after the Cacoosing slick pool. Last night I had 73.1 at Grings Mill Park below Red Bridge, 72.9 at poachers hole below 222/rtnw and 72.3 at the basin well above first deflector. I was surprised that the water variance was so minor given how hot and sunny it was plus the incredibly slow moving/shallow water.

The holding water below Cacoosing is better than above, and the water in the ATW is much better than either of the aforementioned. However, Jay's experience of catching more fish through Palisades/water works is often cited by many anglers. Quite frankly, that whole creek is packed with fish. Think about the shear number of fish that you see being caught every morning/evening. There are folks that say the fishing through the deflectors is great, but when you look at that water . . . yikes. Other than the deflectors themselves and the few trees laying in the water, there is little holding water up there. But wait until evening and the surface explodes. Again, it will be interesting to see how the adult stocking makes it through the Summer. If they could get a 20 - 25% holdover rate, stock it in the Fall and Spring, then Spring 2011 would just be nuts with numbers and size. It is well documented that Tully fish grow like crazy IF they survive.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:10

From Montgomery County
I think the cool water is a small part of it, but the cover, oxygen and depth of the water really increase around the overpass. I can't imagine the cooling effect of the Cacoosing lasts more than a couple hundred yards unless they cut the gates to little more than a trickle.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:10

From Bozeman
There was much better holding water up there (the deflectors) before the summer of 2003. The high water wiped most of the habitat out up that way, IMO. The erosion was incredible.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:19

Like Jeff said, the landscape upstream from the stairs at the water works is pretty ugly. Not much there. Below Cacoosing, the habitat is much, much better. If they could get some bank work and cover put in between Rebers and Cacoosing, that could be improved and wouldn't be as hard to access as above the water works section.

I hooked my biggest fish ever right below the steps at the water works 3-4 yrs ago. I was fishing for a 16-18" brown that I could see sitting on the bottom nymphing. After pounding him for 20 minutes, a rainbow came out of nowhere and grabbed my caddis larva. The run that followed equaled anything I've ever seen. He ran upstream 50 yds in 2-3 seconds! the line came off of my reel so fast that it was a high pitched whine and backing poured onto the water in front of me. Result, giant tangle and lost fish. The guy fishing 20 yds to my left yelled "Was that the big rainbow you had hooked? If it was, I landed him last week and he's a shade over 24". The water is only 18" deep and I never saw him to begin with. I don't see how they survive in there but I'd believe there's some fish in the 20-24" range.

Last week, I lost a fly in a heron that snuck up behind me and go a backcast in the head. :)

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:45

From Bozeman
I have a similar story from about 4 years ago. Weird. Same spot and everything. A fish slurped my fly and took off downstream. He was headed for the next fisherman down that way, and I tried to put the brakes on. It broke me off pretty easily.

I always wondered...

I caught quite a few 16" or so fish in there. I used to go catch them in the middle of the day on bright days. Usually the only anglers there were busy eating lunch at their cars. There was always a flurry of activity, once they got a few minutes peace from the constant line of a dozen fisherman.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:49

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Jay is correct, my implication was that Cacoosing adds cold water that allows fish in that area and below to hold over better. I was not saying that the water temperature in any way affects herons.

I haven't been down there much this year, so I'll trust the temp readings that were given. I took plenty of readings last year.

#1: The waters of the Cacoosing and the Tully do not mix very well for at least several hundred yards. One side of the Tully will be significantly colder than the other. The cold side is shallow and flat except for right at the PaperMill. But yes, when the water gets into the mid-70's elsewhere, all of the cold areas are full of trout.

#2: Even if the effect doesn't last for more than several hundred yards, thats quite a thermal refuge that can hold a lot of fish. Those fish will spread out again come fall, and most will go down.

This, IMO, is why there are more holdovers below than above, which by the way, my observations mirror yours. That said, the fishing for this year's fish is just fine anywhere, until summer's water temps do them in, and its stocked in the fall too.

As far as holding water. Waterworks is quite frankly poor water, but its stocked heavy and thats all that matters anymore. Rebers is alright, refrigerator hole is alright, papermill is pretty good, etc. But its telling that only the name pools offer anything as far as holding water. And none of them hold a candle to what's below Gring's Mill, thats the best water on the stream. But of course, holding water is only part of the equation. Water temp, regulations, and where they stock can't be removed from a discussion on what areas fish the best at certain times.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:51

1200 views and 50 comments on the TULLY! This has got to stop. Based on the amout of fisherman I see there, Reading must give free fly rods to anyone living in 20 mile radius.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:02

From Mohrsville, Berks County
Ok I normally do not post much here but why is there a problem with the Tully and the people that fish there?

Most of the time I go for the Trico hatch it has been crowded. I would say I see the majority of the Fisherman are above Reber's bridge and a lot down stream from the bridge. I would say I see 3 or 4 fisherman at the Refrig pool but not overly crowded there.

This year so far the Tully does not seam to be overly crowded. Most of the time I go on Saturday mornings early and I only stay until 10 or 11 am.

This year has started out better for me in terms of catching at least some Trout. Some days are much better.

Sorry if some people are not happy with the Tully but then you do not have to fish there.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:37

From Berks County, PA
Everybody seems to congregate at the typical Tully holes. Fish upstream and downstream of those well known areas and tell me what you see and catch.

Ron

Posted on: 2010/6/21 20:11

I cruised by the lower portion of the DH Area on Sunday 6/20 at 9:30 AM...Cacoosing to the Covered Bridge...and saw only one angler below Cacoosing and one car at the Road to Nowhere. I guess everyone else had left and the trico action was over for the day. I continued downstream to the "bait area" and had a good stretch to myself. Caught 9 in 1.5 hr. on nymphs. Why so many anglers dwell on the "typical Tully holes" mentioned by Ron above when they could be having fun in the "fished out" bait areas there (on the Tully) or on other streams always makes me wonder about special reg guys. They go to crowded stretches and then turn around and complain about the crowds when they could be having a blast on untold numbers of other stocked streams with no anglers in sight. The Tully can't be the only larger stream in Berks with a Trico hatch and, in fact, I know that it isn't.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 21:55

Quote:

Mike wrote:
I cruised by the lower portion of the DH Area on Sunday 6/20 at 9:30 AM...Cacoosing to the Covered Bridge...and saw only one angler below Cacoosing and one car at the Road to Nowhere. I guess everyone else had left and the trico action was over for the day. I continued downstream to the "bait area" and had a good stretch to myself. Caught 9 in 1.5 hr. on nymphs. Why so many anglers dwell on the "typical Tully holes" mentioned by Ron above when they could be having fun in the "fished out" bait areas there (on the Tully) or on other streams always makes me wonder about special reg guys. They go to crowded stretches and then turn around and complain about the crowds when they could be having a blast on untold numbers of other stocked streams with no anglers in sight. The Tully can't be the only larger stream in Berks with a Trico hatch and, in fact, I know that it isn't.

Spot Burning the ATW! Spot Burning the ATW! Just kidding Mike.

Here's a newbie tully fisherman's take on the tully:

I remember reading over the past year plus reports on the tully and how bad it sucked and the waste of a time it is to even visit, for trout. Mind you I live 35 minutes from the paper mill and refused to visit it. I was there last Thursday for the first time ever and only had a chance to fish above Cacoosing in the slow water and landed one fat 14" (approx) brown. With some nudging from ours truly Sight Nymph I headed back there Sat with him and fished right in front of Cacoosing with him and some other trico guru and we all had a great time.

Bottom line the tully forces you to
A.) Change flies
B.) Get near perfect drifts.
Can't most of us use that kinda practice. I'm goin out on a limb here but I'll bet that stream taught JayL quite a bit about FF and I know it could teach many more if you let it.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 23:49

From Parkesburg, PA
You are absolutely correct in your implication that the Tully is no joke. I have gone and really flopped at the Tully and then other times I have some of the best times fishing I have ever had.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 0:34

From Reading
Quote:

bert304 wrote:
Ok I normally do not post much here but why is there a problem with the Tully and the people that fish there?

Most of the time I go for the Trico hatch it has been crowded. I would say I see the majority of the Fisherman are above Reber's bridge and a lot down stream from the bridge. I would say I see 3 or 4 fisherman at the Refrig pool but not overly crowded there.

This year so far the Tully does not seam to be overly crowded. Most of the time I go on Saturday mornings early and I only stay until 10 or 11 am.

This year has started out better for me in terms of catching at least some Trout. Some days are much better.

Sorry if some people are not happy with the Tully but then you do not have to fish there.

bert304

There is one simple reason for all the trash talk about the Tully. It is very challenging to fish. If you aren't changing flys or getting a good drift or matching the hatch it is very easy to get skunked! Yes it does get crowded at the honey holes but there is plenty of other water to fish. I have always said if you can consistently catch trout on the Tully you can fish anywhere.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:01

I know some that DO catch a pile of trout on the Tully but when they go to the Delaware.... ZIPPO. So much for that theory.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:24

From lancaster county
Quote:
There is one simple reason for all the trash talk about the Tully. It is very challenging to fish. If you aren't changing flys or getting a good drift or matching the hatch it is very easy to get skunked! Yes it does get crowded at the honey holes but there is plenty of other water to fish. I have always said if you can consistently catch trout on the Tully you can fish anywhere.

I disagree.

I have trashed talked the Tully not based on how it fishes but rather its ability to get warm. The Tully is not a real trout stream or tail water for that matter. It used to be better, and now it is not as good. I donot know why it is not as good as years past but its just not.

I have caught fish in the Tully and do not find it that hard to catch fish there. If your techniques are correct you will. It is rather hard to spook a fish on the Tully, which is why I find it easy.

Now I have always said that if you can catch fish in the Letort, then you can catch fish anywhere. Not everyone that can catch fish in the Tully can catch them in the Letort.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:53

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com