Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Tulpehocken, Berks County, 06/12/2010

From Delaware Co.
I have yet to see someone catch a bigin out of there either .

Posted on: 2010/6/21 12:02

I'm a lurker and thought I'd add this to your Tulpehocken convo:

The water temps are regularly exceeding 72 degrees in the delayed harvest section and are higher down near the covered bridge. Fishing in these conditions is very harmful to the trout but you will still find idiots lined up elbow to elbow for the trico hatch. These are the same guys that will complain that the fish population is way down from previous years. Think about it! If you fish the trico on that stream and the water temps are 70-73 early in the morning, odds are a high percentage of the fish you catch and release die. It's really not that hard to figure out. If the temp on a stream reaches 70 for 2 days during a hot spell, that's one thing. If the stream is struggling to cool down to 70 in the evenings, that a totally different thing. Unless you know of springs entering a section, please stop! You are doing nothing but hurting the fishery for your own fishing pleasure. Not sure how many of the guys doing this have the mental capacity to grasp the concept.

Fishing this time of year should be confined to spring creeks, COLD tailwaters (excludes Tulpehocken and Lehigh) or small brook trout headwaters.

Thank you for correcting the brook trout post. That was bordering on absurd. You also mention that you were the only one fishing on Saturday morning. If you have an eye condition that prohibits seeing farther than 20-25', I can believe you. Otherwise, that stream is elbow to elbow every day once TCO posts: TRICO ARE ON !!

Posted on: 2010/6/21 12:22

From Bozeman
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I have yet to see someone catch a bigin out of there either .

I have seen some slobs caught in the ATW. Usually right below the dam.

Never saw much over 16 inches in the DHALO... but then again, the state record flathead was there.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 12:36

From Delaware Co.
I could deffinitely see that feeding on all thoughs dumb stockies and fish coming threw the dam .

So FrankRizzo tell us how you really feel about the fisherman on the Tully

Posted on: 2010/6/21 12:47

I've seen many fish taken or have taken fish in the 19-22" class in the special regs water. It was more of a regular thing in years past but it still happens from time to time.

Frederick,

My feelings aren't just directed toward Tulpehocken fishers but all ignorant anglers that put their personal gratification ahead of well being of the fish. It applies to all waters.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 13:28

From Eastern PA
Quote:
My feelings aren't just directed toward Tulpehocken fishers but all ignorant anglers that put their personal gratification ahead of well being of the fish. It applies to all waters.

Frank,
How can you proclaim to be a conservationist when you avatar promotes carp smoking Camels? You know perfectly well that Camels are no good for them there carp. It's people like you who promote Camel smoking to those Tully carp. There are better ways to curtail an invasive species than teaching them to smoke Camels.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 13:39

From Bozeman
I don't fish anywhere that's over 72 degrees, but the tully is the last place I'd worry about.

Isn't it open to harvest now anyway? The regs are DHALO because the fish aren't really supposed to make it. Holdovers are great, but they are just a bonus. The chance of catching a wild fish in there is practically nil this time of year. I don't like killing the fish I release, but I'm not losing sleep over people fishing the tully when it's warm.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 13:53

Good sir and obvious "know it all", that is clearly not a Camel. Since carp are the bottom feeding scum, you can only assume that the fish is enjoying the rich and smooth flavor of a GPC brand smoke.

You mention carp on the Tulpehocken being an issue, why? I began fishing the river when I first started as a C&R project and have continued to fish it but ONLY when the water temps permit fishing. In all of the hours I've logged on that particular water, I can't remember seeing more than a handful of carp, suckers or other "invasive species" that you mentioned. Possibly a fish identification book would assist you. The large fish you are seeing are actually holdover browns. Some reaching the 8-10 range. As they reach maturity, they under go a physiological change. Lake and sea-run trout develop a hump in the back and a pronounced kype. The larger trout on the Tulpehocken experience a similar change. Their mouth moves toward the bottom of their face and becomes very similar to a rubbery vacuum hose. They also develop dime sized scales. This makes it very easy for the novice angler, such as yourself, to confuse these large holdover fish with carp. Hope that helps you out. Tight lines, Frank.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 13:56

From Bozeman
LOL

Posted on: 2010/6/21 13:57

From Eastern PA
Jay,
Ya, the DHALO designation is primarily a result of the water temps and problematic hold over. Electroshock surveys this Spring indicated a 13% hold over from the Fall stocking. The odd thing here is that there are no temp issues between Fall stocking and the Spring survey. There was no harvest period between the stocking and the survey, so where did the fish go? They documented a ton of fish migration during the last survey (primary reason for rainbow v. brown stockings). Who knows? It will be interesting to see how the numbers on holdovers now that the adult only stocking program is now in effect with no fingerling stocking. Regarding taking fish, the FF culture of catch and release is definitely strong, as I rarely see anyone take and keep trout on the Tully. This is mainly because I don't see the poachers ever catching anything. LOL. I have saw a few decent fish this year and have hard quite a few reports of "the big one that got away". I know some 18" browns were directly stocked this Spring.

Frank,

I see what you did there. Very cleaver. Good point on the brand name smokes though. I have to admit I used Camel as that was my brand of poison back in the day. Have you alerted the PBFC to this metamorphosis phenomenon?

Posted on: 2010/6/21 14:06

From Montgomery County
I'm convinced herons do a # on the Tully trout. I had a decent outing this winter and 50% of the fish I caught below the outflow area had talon marks on their backs. Once you get downstream from the Cacoosing, the holding water seems to really improve and is where I catch my best trout.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 14:30

Exactly why you'll be guiding me down there for free. LMAO

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I'm convinced herons do a # on the Tully trout. I had a decent outing this winter and 50% of the fish I caught below the outflow area had talon marks on their backs. Once you get downstream from the Cacoosing, the holding water seems to really improve and is where I catch my best trout.

No doubt the herons do a number, but the effect of the cacoosing has nothing to do with holding water or herons and everything to do with water temperature.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:34

I think you may be wrong pcray. Recent studies have shown that given the choice, fishing birds prefer standing in cooler waters. Please check this link:

www.fisheatingbirdsurvey/estuary/chart.fabricated/address/.org

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:44

From Bozeman
Quote:

FrankRizzo wrote:
I think you may be wrong pcray. Recent studies have shown that given the choice, fishing birds prefer standing in cooler waters. Please check this link:

www.fisheatingbirdsurvey/estuary/chart.fabricated/address/.org

Interesting...

But I think he's saying that trout prefer it too. Therefore, you'll find more of them downstream of the cacoosing confluence, which would jive with the observation that was made.

I, personally, have always done better UPSTREAM of cacoosing.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
150 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com