Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Tulpehocken, Berks County, 06/12/2010

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I'll take your word on the crowds. I used to fish the Tully quite a bit, but haven't made a trip there even once this year. When it was stocked with fingerlings the fish and fishing were decent. Now it's just another stocked stream and way too crowded to bother. There are many other streams closer or the same distance for me to fish that are not nearly so crowded, including many that have some wild fish.

Just remember that there is another 3 miles of (imo) better looking water below the DHALO section. Once you get below the Grings Mill park area you are very unlikely to see another fisherman. As Mr. Kauffman points out in his 06/13/2010 report, there are plenty of fish in the ATW that are willing to play. Only issue I see with the lower section is that it is a couple degrees warmer and thus will get marginal much earlier. Let me know if you would like to get out there some time this year.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 11:37

From Chester County
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:
I'll take your word on the crowds. I used to fish the Tully quite a bit, but haven't made a trip there even once this year. When it was stocked with fingerlings the fish and fishing were decent. Now it's just another stocked stream and way too crowded to bother. There are many other streams closer or the same distance for me to fish that are not nearly so crowded, including many that have some wild fish.

Just remember that there is another 3 miles of (imo) better looking water below the DHALO section. Once you get below the Grings Mill park area you are very unlikely to see another fisherman. As Mr. Kauffman points out in his 06/13/2010 report, there are plenty of fish in the ATW that are willing to play. Only issue I see with the lower section is that it is a couple degrees warmer and thus will get marginal much earlier. Let me know if you would like to get out there some time this year.

Mr. Kaufmann (Mike) sure knows where the fish are no doubt. The one thing I've learned is the the SR areas are usually crowded and many times do not have the best fishing. I fished a stream in open water last week, and caught more than 30 trout in a few hours of fishing. Most were stocked, but a few were wild. This stream fished hard by the "chain gang", but most have given up on the stream because it's "fished out".

I saw one other angler fishing on this stream. He told me he was some kind of fishing guide and began name dropping (I didn't recognize any of the names). He was fishing with wax worms I believe....lol. Anyway, he saw me pull out a few trout from the pool he just fished and ran up asking what fly I was using. He literally fell down running to his truck to get his fly rod. I worked my way up and turned around and saw him fishing right in my boot tracks where I caught those fish. I guess he thought I found the magic spot, and was using the magic fly...lol.

Anyway, plenty of streams still have a lot of trout outside the SR areas as Mike frequently posts. Check the temps this time of year though. I generally stop fishing the freestone streams in the warmer weather and stick to spring/limestoners, tailwaters, or I fish for SMB, LMB or panfish.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 12:12

very sad to hear about that kid that drowned

Posted on: 2010/6/14 12:47

Hey would any of you guys be willing to share specific patterns and sizes for the Tully right now?

I'd head in with Trikes, size 22-24, crystal flash or ploy wings, males and females (even have a few Bob Miller styles); Sunken Tricos (John Barr style); CDC microcaddis from size 18 down, in tan and olive; and throw some assorted midge nymphs.

Anything else? Oh, and 7X tippet a must.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 12:52

From Eastern PA
Nope Ned, you got it nailed bro. I my experience crystal flash wing > poly wing and male > female. Have fun and get there early. My kids are down in NC with the grandparents so I will be fishing tricos somewhere most mornings for the next couple weeks. PM if you'd like to get together.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 14:10

From Berks County, PA
Ned - Yeah that fly list will do it for the Tully right now. I fished size 18 tan caddis and then switched to trico's in size 26...cleaned house on the Tully yesterday morning with both of these patterns.

Ron

Posted on: 2010/6/20 14:22

From Mohrsville, Berks County
I fished down from Reber's Bridge on Saturday 6/19/2010 and it was excellent. I did not have anyone fishing near me. I broke off 6 and brought 3 Brookies to the net. I was using Trico patterns male and female and I used a Grey Trico that I tie myself. They were size 20 to size 22. I have a BWO land on my arm, first time I have seen one there. I think that was the coolest thing that happend that day. It had typical clear wings that folded up right and a nice green body.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 16:00

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I fished down from Reber's Bridge on Saturday 6/19/2010 and it was excellent. I did not have anyone fishing near me. I broke off 6 and brought 3 Brookies to the net.

Wow, no one around you on a Saturday below Reber's. I drove by Reber's around 6:00 AM and the parking lot was full and I could see waving rods from the bridge. You hit it at the right time.

That is a heck of a lot of break offs, even with 7/8x tippet!

Brookies?

No pressure and Brookies. Are you sure you were on the Tully? LOL.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 17:30

I got there at 520 am and there was 3 car in the parking lot. When I left at 10am the parking lot was full. There was a lot of bikers and runners. When I left I saw 4 guys above the bridge and only 2 guys below the bridge.

Yes I was using 8X tippet and I do break a lot off. Setting the hook way to hard is the problem. I was surprised that i did not catch or see any Rainbows.
I am really surprised how low the number of Fly Fisherman I have seen this year. I actually got a chance to fish above the bridge about a month ago with out anyone there for an hour.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 21:40

In 15+ yrs of fishing the Tully, I've never heard of a brookie being caught in the DH section below the lake. The water temps and water quality would not work for brookies. I'd go as far as saying that you could stick a brookie in there and it probably would survive 24 hrs. Plum Crk, below the bridge, sure isn't adding any clean cold water to the river. I think most of the fish stocked were browns (jdaddy would know) and that's why you're seein less rainbows this year.

I fished Saturday from 5:30-10 between Cacoosing and bridge w/ many names. I could see 6 other anglers. On my way out, There were at least 5 guys above Rebers and 2 guys were already fishing there when I was driving in.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 3:12

From Delaware Co.
I was thinking the same thing but god knows what someone could of stocked in there but yet again he could have his trout crossed

Posted on: 2010/6/21 7:24

Yes I am sorry I did cross the trout. They were Brown Trout not Brook Trout. I am sorry for the error.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 7:48

From Chester County
RT stocked in the upper section, BT (Brown Trout) stocked in the lower section this spring.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... id=158408#forumpost158408

I'm still holding out on fishing until they build that walkway. I'll be first in line to buy my "Tully Tokens" for the turnstiles...lol

Posted on: 2010/6/21 8:00

From Eastern PA
I regularly fish all sections of the Tully, from the dam way down into the ATW and my catch is 90% browns. I caught a bunch of freshly stocked, really washed out ugly rainbows early in the year, however the few rainbows I am catching now are absolutely beautifully colored and run hot as butter on a Georgia sidewalk.

Went out last night and fished from the dam down to water works. Flows are terrible and temps were around 72. I did not fish, simply walked the creek making mental notes of future holding holes when the water gets back up to over ankle deep. All the normal holding areas were a foot deep at best. We did fish the standard holes around water works as dark approached and did well, however I felt really bad about the water temps, low flow and stress on fish. There was a ton of tiny little white/yellow mayflies in the film. Not sure what they were. Fish were responding to 18 x-caddis and 24 trico with most wing material pulled to resemble midge. Probably the last time I will fish it until flows and temps get better. We do have a few days of rain coming up. Historically temps should still be hovering at or below 70.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 11:31

From Bozeman
I have always caught more rainbows than browns in the tully.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 11:45

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com