Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tulpehocken - Berks County April 17 & 18

From York & Starlight, PA
Fished the Tully Wednesday & Thursday. Both days arrived around 11:30 and fished to 5:30. The weather Wednesday was very cloudy until about 2:00 and then it became very clear, sunny, and warm. Thursday it showered and then was very overcast and a bit cool for the remainder of the day.

Wednesday I was quite disappointed in that I nymphed with intensity, twice, from about 200 yards above Rebers Bridge to the bridge and only caught one trout in three hours. There was always a couple of guys in the riffle just to the right of the parking lot and above the bridge.

When I got back down to the bridge the second time there was no one in the riffle and a fellow below me said he'd caught a couple and that there were about a dozen right in front of me. I had strikes on my 2nd, 4th, and 5th casts. I'm not really a numbers guy because if I'm having fun I don't really care to keep a count. But I'd say I landed at least a dozen and lost or missed an equal amount. Also fair hooked two suckers. Best fly, hands down, was a #14 Walt's Worm tied with natural dark Haretron with a gold wire rib. Also caught a couple on a #18 clear bead black midge pupa. BTW I used 6X all day.

Thursday I went down stream a bit from the bridge (I'd say specfically where but don't want to be accused of spot burning Haha that's funny on the Tully) I hooked two big fish on my first two casts but but were LDR's. I'm going to say I must of been a bit slow on the strike.

I was still using the #14 WW but when I landed one of the rainbows and went to remove the fly I noticed that it's mouth was just stuffed with dirty white roe. There are many big suckers spawning in the deeper water as well as in the tail-outs. I had a couple whitish sucker spawn tied with the original Honey Bug yarn. I tied one on and for about an hour and a half I caught many trout on that spawn fly. That yarn has little loops built into it and if you make many little loops as you tie the fly it really looks like a skein or roe.

It was a great day until I broke the tip of my 8' #4 rod about 22" below the tip top. I was getting tired and the line got wrapped around the tip top. Instead of taking the time to untwist the line I had the rod nearly vertical and started to yank, with force, on the butt of the leader. It will take a long time to forget the CRACK!! sound that tip made as it fractured. Luckily I had a backup rod in the car.

No pictures - we all know what 10" - 14" rainbows look like anyway.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:27

Re: Tulpehocken - Berks County April 17 & 18

One question around fishing in the Riebers Bridge area. What is the best way to access the water between the bridge and the dam? I did some cross country walking and wading today but am wondering if there is a better way?

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:20

From chester ct
grey - go down Water St to the end of the dirt road, and you will be at the USGS water gauge. You can also drive towards the dam and there is a parking area across from the Palisades stretch. Bit of a downhill hike there.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:57

From Lancaster
A little bit of elbow room seemed to be at a premium on Wednesday on the Tully. I just passed by (didn't check the Palisades area), but it is great to see the amount of interest that the fishery generates in the early season among flyfisherman.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 23:07

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 15:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com