Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Trindle Spring Run, Cumberland 08-15-13

From Harrisburg
Trindle Spring Run is a little-publicized spring creek running through a very populated and commercial center near Mechanicsburg. Although it originates about 6 miles from the Conodoguinet, the 'fishable' portion, where it last emerges from underground, is almost a mile long. I have attempted to fish it once before, but returned defeated with only one possible trout sighting.

Trindle is special because all stocking of the stream by public or private parties stopped in 1992 because a viable wild population of rainbow trout was noticed.

A 2009 survey found that around 200 fish were within this stretch:
http://fishandboat.com/images/fisheri ... m/2009/7x11_20trindle.htm

The most trout-friendly water, in my opinion, appears to be near the mouth by an old, abandoned spring house.
Click to see original Image in a new window

The sky was clear blue, and the water was gin clear. I was on the water from about 7:45am - 12:30.

The water was VERY cold. I did not have a thermometer with me, but I would estimate the temperature to be around 58. It was dramatically colder than the Connie and my expectations! I would like to return with a working thermometer to get a real number.

There is a lot of vegetation in Trindle Run. The stream itself flows along the right side of this picture and averages about 2 feet deep when the stream width is under 5 feet. When it widens to 10 feet, that drops to 1 foot or less.

It's rather beautiful for being surrounded by population. So far I have seen no evidence of trout.

Nature abounds around this stream! It is absolutely important to the local wildlife- I saw more creatures around this small, urban stream than I would find in the state game lands of the area. It is clearly one of the few refuges for a large amount of animals. This is a black snake that I found near the upper reaches of the run.

At this turn in the stream I saw two fawns cross after two adult female deer. One of the fawns is in the picture, but even I can't clearly see it because of the lighting.

These 'meadows' are strewn about the upper reaches of the run. Not far after the Carlisle Pike does the stream turn treacherous. I encountered mud that was very much like quicksand. It would envelop entire legs, and each step only dug you equally deep. Eventually I had to crawl out on my hands and knees. This occurred 2 or 3 times during the trip up.

There are also trees that have fallen across the stream forcing fishermen to either crawl on their belly or walk through the thicket on the sides of the stream. This was my first time using a new pair of waders and, after a few thorn scares, I found it was easiest to try and go below any trees in the one or two feet between the water and the tree. Spider webs when trying this were more than annoying.

More whitetail! This one looked very young. The stream splits into two, and I followed the heaviest flow for another 200 or so yards until it essentially was just water flowing from rocks, not far beyond this picture. This was a very young deer, and after he scampered away I also saw a muskrat that swam right past my legs. There were a few long-rotted 'bridges' that people had built in the upper reaches. They were probably a part of a nature walk or birding trail and a football field in any direction took you through the trees and into someone's yard.

After turning around, I was exhausted from trudging through so much mud and muck. I walked as much as I could along the stream, but it was pretty often that the water was the easiest route (and with the fewest spiders)!

On the way back I made sure to pick up rocks and check on the invertebrates. Perhaps this could help shed some light onto why the stream seemed devoid of trout.

All-in-all, I saw 2 or 3 trout during my day. One of them nearly took my tan caddis, but turned around quickly. I saw another fish with bright red coloring hide away at one point. I initially thought it was a very vibrant brookie, but that's probably conditioning. If that was a rainbow, that would be among the brightest red marks I have ever seen in pictures or person.

The bottom half of the run has ample amounts of scud. Unfortunately I only had a few in my pack, and none in the correct size. I found one that was a size 14, the rest were very small size 18s and were very prominent. I did not find any mayfly nymphs, but small brown mayflies (tricos, I believe) caught in spider webs show that they are largely in the area and probably not just in the Conodoguinet.

If you are looking to try this stream yourself, I recommend that you have a healthy adventurous spirit and are more interested in sights than fish. Use tiny scud patterns, grey or chartreuse, and only go as far as the Carlisle Pike. More than 200 yards past that I only found one single scud on a rock and sighted no trout (though they are likely around, as herons were present).

Better yet-

Swing a bugger in the Connie and enjoy some wonderful bass fishing! My only fish of the day came during my trek back to the car through the Conodoguinet. There are plenty of bass and they are eager to chase a bugger.

My adventures to Trindle Run on two separate occasions have left me worried about the trout population there. I have never had such trouble encountering/scaring trout in view, let alone catching them. After a little research, I now realize that 200 trout, if that number is still relatively similar, is very few, and angling surveys will not accurately determine stream health.

Although it left me bruised, battered, and beaten on two occasions, I do think I'll return some day and try again. It just feels very defeating to spend all day looking and not see but one or two trout on a class-A stream.

But wow, what a pretty little gem! Anyone ever have luck there? There's also a similar stream on the other side of the Susquehanna that I'd like to try again, very similar in difficulty and setting.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 13:32

Re: Trindle Spring Run, Cumberland 08-15-13

From Harrisburg
Just read through some old discussions here as well as some old photos of the stream.

It looks and acts nothing like it did 8 or more years ago! What a shame.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 14:00

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Cool report and pics Goro...even if no fish were caught.

It's a true limestone spring...think Letort or Big Spring, just smaller scale. The fish on those streams are often like ghosts, laying in the weed beds rarely to be seen, but they're there. I'm not saying Trindle is on the same par as those two, but it has fish in it. I know a couple guys who catch large wild Browns in the Connie in the Winter...these fish undoubtedly hang out in the mouths or lower reaches of streams like Letort and Trindle during the Summer.

I fished it once, took home a skunk (had one good look from a smallish Bow, but no hookups) and decided there was better water nearby. As you noted, it's a royal PITA to fish. From what I understand a lot of the biomass at the time of the last Class A survery on it was concentrated in a large, slow pool created by a small low head dam. That dam is now gone, and so is its holding water. You probably saw the remnants of it...that's where I got the one swipe when I fished it.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 14:18

From Dauphin PA
Fished it once and caught a beautiful bow (small in size) below the dam that was removed. It is a pretty stream but god awful to fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 15:44

From Mount Joy, PA
I think you'll find similar experiences from many anglers on here with regards to TSR. For exploring, you're definitely better off fishing it in the fall, winter, or spring when the streamside vegetation isn't so hearty. That goes for any of the CV limestoners as well.

You couldn't be more correct about not fishing above Route 11. I've gone all the way up the "headwaters" as well and there was nothing to be found. The best chance at finding trout are definitely south of Route 11. I can tell you that there are trout in there (not a lot) and actually a few rather large trout, but they are tough to find and even tougher to catch. This isn't a "destination" stream by any stretch, but instead a good place to spend an hour or so, then go to Wegman's to enjoy the beer garden.

Sadly, all one has to do is look up the stream banks to see the largest detriment to this stream. Its days have been numbered since the over-development of the immediate area began many years ago.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 19:24

From York County
I will just say it's been a while since I've been there. I feel guilty even fishing it as I feel it is threatened and has a very limited population of trout.

But anyway. They are hard to catch... and little gems.

Attach file:

jpg  Wild bow.jpg (79.17 KB)
1899_520f815800b5b.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 2013/8/17 9:39

Edited by JakesLeakyWaders on 2013/8/17 9:57:24
Edited by JakesLeakyWaders on 2013/8/17 9:57:48
Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/8/17 10:01:54

From Harrisburg
"This isn't a "destination" stream by any stretch, but instead a good place to spend an hour or so, then go to Wegman's to enjoy the beer garden. "

Exactly! I usually end up trying Trindle when I want to pick up a 6-er and feel like some good warm water action. In the future, I'll probably just try the first 200 yards or so of the stream and then focus on the Connie.

Great pic, JLW! I haven't yet caught a wild bow in PA (might have gotten a few out in Idaho, but who can tell?), so the search continues! I guess it's time to finally hit Big Spring

Posted on: 2013/8/18 12:07

From Cumberland County
I thought the Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Association continued to stock this annually? I used to fish this regularly and caught some huge fish. I found the section above route 11 to be the best. I'll admit I would throw in minnow, back in the day. But once parking from the shoulder became impossible and the water snakes were just too intimidating, that was the end of it.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 11:32

From SCPA
Limestone,
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the sportsman's association stocks it above where Silver Spring (the actual spring itself) enters. If you walk up to where the spring comes in, you can see that the water above is less fertile and has less (at least historically) natural reproduction. I think they might still stock up around Mulberry Dr near the old Grand Slam USA and Trindle Rd.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 12:23

From Harrisburg
My last conversation with one of their board members say 3 yrs ago was they no longer stock it.
Dont know why it never got protection as it was certainly a class A when I discovered it. Maybe just not long enough.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 11:31

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I believe the Sportsman club now stocks Hoguestown Run about 2 miles away.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 12:41

From Da 'Berg, PA
great photo essay - what a pretty stream, back in ye olden days, such rivulets would have had a full time riverkeeper to cut back the trees, scythe the weeds in early spring to create slots to fish and help nature out a little, and maintain the bridges.

they'd also use a wooden shovel shaped like a bricklayers hod to dig out the worst of the silt - though course now we'd just put in some wooden deflectors.

i'd guess that with a little TLC that stream could hold a lot of small trout or a few real nice ones.

a great long term project for someone with time on their hands...me, if I lived nearby and could get permission.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 17:16

From Harrisburg
Fascinating! I had no idea such positions existed, official or otherwise

Posted on: 2013/8/20 17:24

From Da 'Berg, PA
if you can get it, read Keeper of the Stream by Frank Sawyer written in 1925 by the inventor of the Pheasant Tail Nymph.

here are some of his predecessors :

his modern day counterparts :

Posted on: 2013/8/20 20:18

From Mechanicsburg
I live about 3 minutes from trindle and ive gone about 6 or so times. I went this morning for 2 hours and i had a shiner take my pheasant tail but thats it. Of all the times I've went, i never even seen a bow there. I usually fish hogestown run now because I've actually been catching the wild trout above the stocked section. Trindle would be an amazing stream if the trout were in larger numbers there.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 17:21

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com