Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Thompson Run,Centre County,10-20-13

From State College
Fished Thompson Run today a tributary to Slab Cabin Run and Spring Creek. I was surprised at the size of some of the fish that I caught. The majority of my catch was in the 7 to 13 in range Had an exceptional time with a good deal of fish of all sizes. Lost probably the largest wild brown I ever hooked in a plunge pool. Size 18 simplified olive hares ear (Just a dubbed noodle of olive hares mask) seamed to work well. What I thought was interesting was my catch ratio seemed to 80/20 in favor of rainbows to browns.

Click to see original Image in a new window

This one was close to 17 in

Posted on: 2013/10/20 21:10

Re: Thompson Run,Centre County,10-20-13

From State College
That place got hammered by flash flooding this summer. Obviously the trout are still doing fine! That last rainbow is gorgeous. I got skunked last time I went and haven't been back in a month or so, but used to fish it once or twice a month.

Last year I caught tons of 7-9" rainbows in there. They're all 12"+ now, must have been a great year class because I don't catch too many in other size ranges. And I hear you about the big brown...hooking them there is one thing, landing them is another!

Posted on: 2013/10/21 1:11

From Hunker
Very nice fish! I recently read about that stream somewhere and I've had an urge to give it a try. Is it a limestone spring or a freestone?

Posted on: 2013/10/27 15:00

From State College
Limestone. It's on the small side though. You can fish the whole length of the open water in two hours. Fished it today briefly and overall it seemed pretty dead. Fishing there is very hit or miss and will be mostly miss until we get more rain.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 22:44

From Pgh
Joe Humphreys used to fish that steam as a kid. Brookies back then.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:16

Anybody have theories about where all those rainbows are coming from? Not many years ago it was all browns in there.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:42

From State College
TB,

If you look at some satellite imagery from the early 2000's, it looks like the upper part of Thompson run used to split into two channels, one right along 26 and one behind the YBC and car place. Now all of the water goes in the channel right along 26. That means 2X the flow, but with riprap banks the channel can't widen to match the extra flow=deep, fast water. My theory is this faster water favors the rainbows. There are at least as many rainbows as browns in the channelized section. Above and below, there are some rainbows but browns still dominate. I've only been fishing it for 3 years so I don't know what it was like in the past, but that's my best guess as to why the 'bow population has taken off.

As for where they came from originally, JH told me that a long time ago a stocking truck full of rainbows broke down right near Thompson Run and they decided to dump them in right there instead of letting them die. Not sure when this happened.

I'm sure some also originated from hatchery fish that escaped into Spring Creek and started swimming.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:35

From State College
Nevermind about that theory- I looked a little closer and what I thought was a split channel was another branch of the stream entirely (walnut springs).

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:58

From Clearfield
Quote:

sarce wrote:
I'm sure some also originated from hatchery fish that escaped into Spring Creek and started swimming.

This would be my guess

Posted on: 2013/10/28 15:47

From State College PA
the number of bows in the major unstocked streams around center and adjacent counties have exploded over the last 3 years. The last 2 were especially productive. We have had two "mild" summers in a row and spring flows manageable. My theory is that the rate of reproduction has been constant, but a larger number of fish are surviving. The number of YOY stream-born rainbows I've seen and caught this year has been downright impressive. I fear a really dry and hot summer will drop the population again.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 7:31

From Gettysburg
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
the number of bows in the major unstocked streams around center and adjacent counties have exploded over the last 3 years. The last 2 were especially productive. We have had two "mild" summers in a row and spring flows manageable. My theory is that the rate of reproduction has been constant, but a larger number of fish are surviving. The number of YOY stream-born rainbows I've seen and caught this year has been downright impressive. I fear a really dry and hot summer will drop the population again.

Interesting!
Down here in center state in the Cumberland Valley wild trout of all species are doing very well. There are some exceptions IMO......but generally things are very good in the limestoners around here for brooks, browns, and bows. However, the spring creeks around here, I think, may be more stable with respect to flow and temp than the spring creeks in and around Centre Co. Would be interested to see some sort of monitoring of situations like this - ideally through electrofishing but anecdotal accounts from fishermen about rainbows and weather conditions over the years would still be interesting.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:40

Rainbow trout have been stocked by the millions ever since the PFBC was formed in the late 1800s.

But until recently there were very streams with wild rainbow populations.

So the explanation of the explosion in recent years has to be something else.

Namely the stocking of rainbow trout of different genetics than has been stocked in the past.

So, is the stocking of rainbow trout with different genetics coming from private parties? Or the PFBC? Or both?

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:37

From Clearfield
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Rainbow trout have been stocked by the millions ever since the PFBC was formed in the late 1800s.

But until recently there were very streams with wild rainbow populations.

So the explanation of the explosion in recent years has to be something else.

Namely the stocking of rainbow trout of different genetics than has been stocked in the past.

So, is the stocking of rainbow trout with different genetics coming from private parties? Or the PFBC? Or both?

I think a case can be made for both. Think of this stream (possibly stocked, or escapees), and the little J (almost certainly privately stocked). Both resulting in reproducing populations that were not there, or at minimal levels, even a few years ago.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 15:18

From Monessen, PA
Any fish is good fish.

-- Foghat

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:02

I assume you guys are accessing this stream behind Hickey's and the Marriott hotel? Between 26 and Slab Cabin.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:36
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com