Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Thompson Run,Centre County,10-20-13

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
The rainbow looks like a hatchery fish, but not sure how it could have reached the upper sections of Spring Creek. There is a large dam near the Rock which would impede fish passage. I think the dam might be at least 5 feet high. Benner Spring is the last hatchery upstream and I don't believe it could have come from there. I have caught small rainbows above the dam and the rock. Are there any clubs or private stockings on Cedar Run?

Posted on: 12/5 17:47

From State College PA
albud,
there have been rumors that the private water upstream of the rock, along trout road, is/was stocked. These are rumors and should not be taken too seriously.
No doubt natural reproduction goes on in upper spring creek (not saying wild fish). One stretch in particular has a good and growing number of YOY caught. Larger fish in the area are caught too. It's hard to tell the source. These fish obviously came from the hatchery at one point. The open discussion is how much repro, if any, is going on.

Posted on: 12/6 8:04

From State College
Two from Slab Cabin...personally, I firmly believe rainbows are reproducing throughout the system. Wild bows are fairly limited in upper Spring and middle/upper Slab Cabin, but common in Thompson run and lower slab cabin. Occasionally, one of these rainbows appears to be a hatchery escaped fish, but most are not. There are too many smaller rainbows for all of them to be seeded by a few escaped fish, and plenty of larger ones that look identical to the little ones. If you don't believe they are wild, that's fine. Mario and I will keep surveying the population

Attach file:

jpg  100_0241.JPG (236.89 KB)
7984_52a200dfd1f14.jpg 716X328 px

jpg  100_0230.JPG (217.81 KB)
7984_52a200e95c94e.jpg 748X402 px

Posted on: 12/6 12:05

From State College PA
I have no doubts fish are reproducing. I wonder when it can be considered a wild population. After I added my post above I got to thinking. What is the definition (or distinguishing feature) of natural reproduction versus wild populations?
Anyone know? two generations? three?

Posted on: 12/6 14:33

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
If the fish was born in the stream, it is a wild fish, period.

Wild fish can occur without a "permanent, established" population. It would just mean, if left to it's own devices, the population would not sustain its numbers over multiple generations.

FWIW, rainbows in upper Spring are NOT new. As I said, I do not trust myself in judging the wildness of rainbows based on pics alone (unless freshly stocked, of course). There is indeed an established, wild population in Spring Creek proper, centered around the mouth of Slab Cabin, Thompson, and the like. I don't doubt that a stocked fish from below, could, on occasion, get up there. But I'd say the majority up there are indeed wild. So, an established, wild population with the occasional stocker thrown in for good measure.

On the other hand, I've also caught rainbows at Benner, Paradise, and all the way down to the mouth. It is clear that fair numbers of fish escape from the hatcheries, often at a young age, and they grow up, color up, and take on some traits of wild fish just like a fingerlinged stocked fish would. Further, they stock fish in the city of Bellefonte. From Benner down, I've always believed the majority of the rainbows have hatchery origins. That said, I do not doubt that those hatchery fish occasionally reproduce, meaning there are a few wild ones mixed in. i.e. a hatchery population with the occasional wild one thrown in for good measure.

What I question is whether there is a stable, established population down there, or if that population is dependent on being continuously "re-seeded". i.e. if the hatcheries were to shut down and they were to stop stocking in Bellefonte, would that population die out in a generation or two? I lean towards this being the case, but don't pretend to be sure of it.

Posted on: 12/9 9:26

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I would have to say there is a permanent wild rainbow population in lower Spring Creek that is self sustaining. I have not fished upper Spring Creek as much until last summer. I have caught small rainbows in the vicinity of the rock but only browns from the sheep farm up. Thanks for the pictures Sarce. Always cool to catch an occasional rainbow. They do fight well. Does anyone know when the last wild brookie was caught out of Thompson Run?

Posted on: 12/9 10:23

From State College PA
My opinion about the heart of and distribution of the wild population in Spring is the same as pcray's.
Another source of rainbows in lower Spring (milesburg) is migration of fish from the bald eagle looking for a thermal refuge as summer approaches. Not sure how much this contributes versus those escaping from hatcheries.

Posted on: 12/9 11:09

From State College
Below Bellefonte I have not caught many rainbows that were of the smaller size range. In Slab Cabin and Thompson, I have caught many rainbows that are in the 3 to 9 inch range. In Thompson I have no problem making the argument that rainbows outnumber browns, by a vast number.

Posted on: 12/14 21:03

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com