Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Thompson Run,Centre County,10-20-13

From State College
FWIW, I get the impression these rainbows were fairly well established before I started fishing it. Some of the first rainbows I caught there were pretty big, probably 4-5 years old, and their parents must have been there a few years before that...I'd guess they've been there at least ten years. Obviously I don't know if there were as many in the past, but there must have been some.

I caught a rainbow at Fisherman's Paradise a few weeks ago that looked (and fought) identical to the wild ones in Thompson and Slab Cabin. Have also caught a few small ones at Spring Creek Park. I think they are pretty widespread. I even caught what i think was a wild rainbow in a Centre County freestone stream, but that had a completely different spot pattern from the ones in the spring creek watershed.

Quote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

I assume you guys are accessing this stream behind Hickey's and the Marriott hotel? Between 26 and Slab Cabin.

Yes. Plan on dodging lots of traffic if you want to fish above there and try not to hook cars or a catabus on your backcast, lol.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 20:29

Thanks sarce! I was thinking about the layout when reading this and that was the only logical place I could come up with.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 22:20
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From State College
A prof told me about this report that was recently published. Maybe a little heavy on the tech side but very interesting, especially page 33. At the very end are some pics of the flash flooding this past summer. Worth a read if you are interested in the history of this stream.

link

Posted on: 2013/11/12 20:28

From Lancaster County
Interesting report.

Is that you in Figure 11?

Interesting that the bulk of the runoff from the campus proper ends up in the Duck Pond sub-basin. No wonder floods blow Thompson Run out, given that 50% of the surface is impervious.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 21:10

Edited by salmonoid on 2013/11/12 21:26:30

From State College
Lol! I don't dress that well.

I think I almost snuck into fig 64- I fished that exact pool (which was two pools the day before) after the flood and remember the water clarity and level were almost exactly what is shown in that picture.

I noticed from the one table, 4 of the 7 highest flow events since 2007 occurred in a one-month span this past summer. Ouch.

And take a look at figure 52- is that our answer for why there are more rainbows? It shows the flow from the main spring basically doubling starting in 2011.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 1:40

From State College
Figure 64 is my favorite on that stream.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 14:37

I saw two fly fishermen on this stream today. In front of Alexander Dodge.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 21:22
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From State College
me and sarce have both been kicked off by the dealership, but not at the same time lol

Posted on: 2013/11/16 14:03

I wasn't sure if the two I saw were people from here, that's why I mentioned it.

I keep planning on fishing this stream. It seems something always comes up.

Posted on: 2013/11/16 18:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Regarding #52, if I'm understanding the discussion correctly, it's not that it actually flows heavier. It's that it's recorded more accurately. Prior to that, some of the flow went under the flume and was not being captured by the recorder. When they built a new flume, it captured ALL of the actual flow, hence the increase.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 11:33

From State College
I fished the length of the creek today, my observation: On the lower end I caught almost all browns; on the upper end almost all rainbows. Such a strange stream, the biggest was around 20 in according to the marking on my fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:33

From LV
Quote:

sarce wrote:
FWIW, I get the impression these rainbows were fairly well established before I started fishing it. Some of the first rainbows I caught there were pretty big, probably 4-5 years old, and their parents must have been there a few years before that...I'd guess they've been there at least ten years. Obviously I don't know if there were as many in the past, but there must have been some.

I caught a rainbow at Fisherman's Paradise a few weeks ago that looked (and fought) identical to the wild ones in Thompson and Slab Cabin. Have also caught a few small ones at Spring Creek Park. I think they are pretty widespread. I even caught what i think was a wild rainbow in a Centre County freestone stream, but that had a completely different spot pattern from the ones in the spring creek watershed.

Quote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

I assume you guys are accessing this stream behind Hickey's and the Marriott hotel? Between 26 and Slab Cabin.

Yes. Plan on dodging lots of traffic if you want to fish above there and try not to hook cars or a catabus on your backcast, lol.

That tells me they are stocked fish, maybe some reproducein Spring Creek or the tribs. I think it is different genetics that allows the bows to reproduce successfully. It appears that photos indicate they are stocked, beat up fins. I've caught rainbows in Spring Creek over the last 10 years down as far as Milesburg, and though everyone was stocked, maybe escapees. They just didn't have the color of truely wild fish.

Posted on: 12/3 8:38

From State College
Quote:
Chaz wrote: That tells me they are stocked fish, maybe some reproducein Spring Creek or the tribs. I think it is different genetics that allows the bows to reproduce successfully. It appears that photos indicate they are stocked, beat up fins. I've caught rainbows in Spring Creek over the last 10 years down as far as Milesburg, and though everyone was stocked, maybe escapees. They just didn't have the color of truely wild fish.

I have little doubt that they are wild, many small ones 3-5 in. Look at the colors on this oneClick to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/3 9:42

From State College
Chaz, in all the stocked vs wild threads that have been on this board I have never seen you say a fish is wild.

The fin indicators go out the window on Thompson run because part of the stream practically is a concrete raceway. I've caught some browns and bows that were clearly wild fish with some minor fin damage. With that said, I can think of a couple larger rainbows I've caught there that did not look wild, they had a very dense spot pattern that is completely different from most of the rainbows there, along with bizarre split dorsal fins.

Posted on: 12/3 10:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
FWIW, while I don't trust myself in identifying rainbows, based on the pic alone I'd guestimate that Mario's fish is stocked (escaped at a young age maybe). I could be swayed either way on it.

That said, there ARE documented wild bows in Spring Creek. I catch my share of stockers around the hatcheries and downstream, and think that MOST of those are indeed stocked, though I don't deny that a couple may and probably do successfully reproduce. But farther upstream there's a totally different population. And they are probably what seeds Thompson.

And the wild one's tend to be LESS colored up than the stockers. I've done only a very little bit of wild bow fishing in the SC limestoners. But in more northern areas, all of the wild bows I've caught don't have very impressive colors.

Posted on: 12/5 12:00

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com