Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Susquehanna River, Luzerne County, 8/7/12

From Glen Lyon
i grown up fishing for smallies but never with fly rod but now that i start fly fishing for trouts i decide i want to try and catch smallies on fly rod so last weekend i buy some poppers for fly rod and finaly get to fish tuesday night after finaly finishing big roofing job that go on for 3 days. i fished the susky by the hunlock electric plant in my boat and caught smallies on fly rod with biggest one being maybe 4lbs. it was so cool seeing smallies smash popper and it took a few missed fish before finaly set hook and netted a nice 2lb smallie for my first on fly rod. susky was a little dirty but dirty is sometimes good for fishing and always for girlfriend.

the guy at the baitshop says my fly rod a old berkley 8ft 5/6weight that was my uncles is to small for smallies and i should get a 9ft 7weight for smallies but i wonder if he only wants to sell a rod and if i really need this rod or is mine ok so what does anyone think is he lieing to me or is he right.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 19:06

Edited by Fishidiot on 2012/8/11 8:14:45

Re: susky luzerne county hunlock area

From Shamokin-Coal Township
If you caught fish on what you have, that should answer your question. But there are bigger fish in that river and a heavier rod could give you a better advantage.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 21:41

Re: susky luzerne county hunlock area
From Dallastown, PA
PJ,

Fly rod wts are geared toward the size/wt of the line being cast and ultimately the fly being cast. Length helps with that wt rating. Inherent in the longer rod of heavier weights is a stronger backbone (near the handle) to manage larger fish easier.

So yes what you had caught fish but the larger size fish possible in the river would be easier to handle with a longer, heavier weight rod.

So the bait shop guy wasn't lying but I am sure he would like to make a sale.

Fish with what you have till you convince yourself or take his and our advice and go bigger rod. I use a 10' 6 wt. or a 9' 7 wt. Same as I use for Steelhead.

Bigger fish, bigger flies require larger levers to get it to the fish and to bring the fish in.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 2:52

Re: Susquehanna River, Luzerne County, 8/7/12

From Glen Lyon
thx Maurice for advice sorry i not thx you sooner but i have been at work a lot all day putting on roofs and work a lot when no rain to make money to spend on fishing and beer. so i went back to the bait shop and talk to the owner about alonger rod for bass and he said i should try tfo profesional rod so I try a 9ft 7weight. the bigger rod is harder to cast but if i do the cast right the bigger fly is cast easier. but i like to trout fish more with fly rod and i have all bait caster and spin rod gear for smallie fishing and i was not sure if i want to spend money on bass fly rod that i do not need and then the guy at shop said my fly rod for trout is too big so he said i should try a smaller size rod of 7.6ft 5weight tfo profesional rod for trouts so I try it and i like the feel so I buy the fly rod. i try rod today at hunlock creek and will post a fishing report.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 23:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com