Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Spruce Creek 5/1/09-5/3/09 Wayne's Private Section

Fished with a group of 12 guys on three separate sections of the stream named "the cabin", "the cottage", and "Wayne's Private." First time on the stream but would guess flows were normal to slighly low. Water was clear. Weather was picture perfect on Friday night, partly cloudy/(sunny?) on Saturday and colder with light rain showers on Sunday.

Fishing was good with more hook-ups coming below the surface vs. above. Fish were taken on a variety of nymphs. Patterns mentioned most frequently to me were bead head prince size 12-16, and green caddis pupa 14-16. I personally fished a size 12 copper john below a 16 pheasant tail "crashing" the flies into the turbulent water below the various jack jams, with most of my fishing coming on the copper john. When fishing the riffles, runs, and glides, I had success fishing a chartruse stimluator with a size 18 bead head trailer, taking fish on both flies.

Overall hatch activity was sporadic at best, with evening "action" between 6-8 and late morning from 10-1. I fished a tan 16 elk hair with a cdc caddis emerger behind it floating in the film, both taking fish. During the evening hours I heard guys mention success with a sulphur pattern.

One of the best fisherman on the trip caught trout throughout the day Saturday with a size 14 black "griffith's" parachute pattern and below with a size 16 soft hackle, but between you and me he could probably bring them to the net with a shoe on the end of his line.

Good guys, good food, good fishing, good trip.

Tight lines

Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:34

Re: Spruce Creek 5/1/09-5/3/09 Wayne's Private Section

From Greensburg, PA
12 guys on spruce...sounds like opening day...

Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:36

From Room 109
What did that cost you? 500 bucks ?

Posted on: 2009/5/4 15:34

From Gettysburg
kheher,
Welcome to the PaFlyfish forum and thanks for the stream report. In the event you haven't had a chance to scroll through past threads, please be aware that there are many on this site (myself included) who are not particularly fond of privatized or fee fishing areas. Of course, this doesn't detract from what sounds like a great day of fly fishing - nor should it be construed as personal criticism - but this stream reports section is geared toward providing information for board members who might consider fishing that same water. Obviously, the posted sections of Spruce Creek would not fall into that category for the vast majority of our readers.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 16:08

From Bozeman
Agree with fishidiot. Nice story, but reports about fishing in the land of Oz don't provide much useful info.

No hard feelings here, but that's how you'll find things to be here.

Welcome!

PS: I think I saw you guys on my way to the J.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 17:34

From Greensburg, PA
Hey, he got the format as close to correct as anyone...that should count for something. Maybe in the professional reports.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 19:01

From Monessen, PA
I would think that water conditions and hatches would be consistent along the creek so that even if the water fished was private, the information could be helpful to someone planning to fish the George Harvey waters or any other areas they can gain access to.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:02

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I would think that water conditions and hatches would be consistent along the creek so that even if the water fished was private, the information could be helpful to someone planning to fish the George harvey waters or any other areas they can gain access to.

That's true what JackM says. Even though there's not much open to the public - stream conditions and hatch information would pertain to those sections too.

Also - How many would refuse a chance to fish those waters if we had the opportunity?

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:30

Nice report just a free Ad for Harpster or a guide? I would think business is way down this year?

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:46

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

I understand everyone's feelings towards private fishing and the laws of PA. Believe me I considered it before accepting the invite as i appear to agree with the majorities view point on this site and yes going was hypocritical.

I considered its applicability to all before posting since it was a trip to private waters, but as someone mentioned although there is only a 1/2 mile or so open to the "public" i thought the information would still translate or perhaps someone would be "fortunate" enough to fish the same section in the near term.

In case you wondered there were about 3 miles of stream we were "allowed" to fish. The weekend cost me $500 bucks including food and lodging. And no I am not a guide or promoting the owner's property, just giving the report of a weekend fishing trip with my Dad.

Hopefully someone finds this useful and sorry for the rant and post. I stumbled across the site and want to give back since I enjoyed reading the reports as I was getting excited for my upcoming trip.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 0:10

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Kheher01,

Thanks for sharing your day. Hope you and your dad had a nice time. I'm sure you can understand why many of the regulars on the site would grumble a bit about the private water aspect of your post. Please don't be frightened off, you really did make an excellent report on your day. Give us a report of your next trip to open water!

Welcome to the board and hope to hear from you again soon.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 1:02

From Gettysburg
kheher,
I'll second Alby's advice - by all means stick around. And don't be too hard on yourself. Taking the opportunity to fish private water from time to time isn't hypocritical. Through a family connection, I get to fish a posted section of Spruce Creek on occasion (just a private section, not a fishing club). It's a nice experience and I have caught some enormous trout there but I don't post reports on that section nor do I post the fish photos out of courtesy to those on the board who don't have the option to fish that section. While Jack makes a good point about water flows and hatches (the section I've fished is not far upstream from the PSU section) the nature of Spruce Creek is such that the posted sections are quite a different fishing experience from the small PSU stretch.
Anyway, don't sweat it.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 8:15

I would not feel the least bit bad about it. It was $850 in 2006 for two days with meals, lodging etc.... You might consider $500 a bargin.

It's private property and not public like Beaver's so in my mind it is two different things.

Never have paid to fish anywhere and probably never will but if I got an invite for free I sure would go.

Here is a story of Harpster- 4 pages.

http://www.agriculture.com/ag/story.j ... ry/data/1138295021584.xml

Then on the other hand..........

Attach file:

jpg  no no no.....jpg (954.00 KB)
772_4a00400577ba5.jpg 2458X1843 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 9:32

From Chester County
I fished the Harpsters stretch of Spruce a few years ago. It was before the Beaver thing got all the attention. I was never a big fan of fishing private water on principle. A while back, I bought a new house and I was beefing to my wife about not getting out-west on a fishing trip, so she booked me long weekend trip to fish Spruce at Harpsters. I caught a ton of hog bow and browns on the trip, but was actually disappointed. I had envisioned fishing for wary wild browns on the stream, but found it to be stocked to the gills, and wild fish were few and far between.

Akid is right to make a distinction about Beaver and the SRC, versus the Harpster family opening up their land for fishing. Still, I am not a fan of the privatization of streams and rivers, but I believe landowners have a right to control their own property and raise cows, plant their fields, or let people fish for a fee on their land and stream. Now Beaver is a different story altogether.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 9:56

From Bozeman
Don't sweat it. I pay $30 to fish the douglaston salmon run every year, so it's not like we're all above it. Like the others said, the spring ridge club is a different story. I respect their right to do what they do, but they still violate the one governing rule of the universe: don't be a douche.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 10:01

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com