Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Spring Creek, Centre County, 10/14/12

From chester county
Fished Spring Creek Park from 12-4. Water was low and clear. Started out swinging streamers and got some smaller fish to hit. Couldn't hook any so I went to a smaller streamer, and then they stopped hitting it. Eventually switched back to a #8 olive woolly bugger and started getting hits again. Some high clouds rolled in and I finally landed a fish around 3 pm, to my surprise it was a little rainbow! This one is the 20th wild bow I've caught on the fly rod this year, but my first from Spring Creek.

Fished a couple more runs and landed two small browns, 7" and 9". In the last spot I hooked a really nice brown, easily 15-16". This one took an aerial escape route, leaping a full body length out of the water four times in a row before finally throwing the hook. As much as I didn't want to leave on a bad note, I was out of water to fish so I had to leave. I was kicking myself the whole way back for losing what would have been my best Spring Creek fish.

I saw a few fish rising throughout the day, not sure what to as I didn't notice any hatch. I was kind of surprised how aggressive the trout were toward my streamers, they would come from 20 feet away to hit it but most were short-striking it.

Also noticed that many of the trees along the stream have lost their leaves already. I have pictures from this time last year and all of the trees still had leaves. I hope winter doesn't get here too early, today was beautiful!

Attach file:

jpg  bow.jpg (67.96 KB)
2806_507b548c73823.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/14 20:11

Re: Spring Creek, Centre County, 10/14/12

From Bucks County
Awesome coloring on that guy... Nice Fish.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 7:49

From Monessen, PA
Spring Creek is very tranquil and productive in the winter, so don't give up on it if you live close enough.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 8:16

From Parkesburg
No doubt that bow is wild... been seeing some more in Spring lately.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 10:16

I've caught quite a few rainbows like that around spring creek park, and also in slab cabin run. A few years ago during a very cold day in november I caught six or seven little rainbows in slab cabin.

Posted on: 2012/10/20 9:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
162 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com