Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Spring Creek, Centre County, 06/16/2011
Webmaster
Made my way to Spring Creek. My daughter was up registering for fall classes at PSU.

Beautiful night with clear sunny skies and temps in the mid 70's. Water was its normal off color and running at about 120 cfs. Everything was in good order.

Sadly no hatches came off. I was hoping for some smaller BWO that had been reported a few days earlier. I did bring a few up with a #18 BWO and kept with Walt's Worms for the rest of the evening.

Nice night.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_5931.jpg (179.01 KB)
1_4dff30d82050f.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 7:28

Re: Spring Creek, Centre County, 06/16/2011

From Lehigh Valley
Dave - this is payback for having to pay her tuition.

Being the caring and concerned Father that you are, I think you should drive up to State College to fish, I mean check on your little girl every weekend. Can't be too careful, ya know.

Congratulations to both of you on a fine choice for higher education!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 8:07

From Monessen, PA
Dave, I second HeritageA's suggestion. We can visit the same weekends and slip away to fish while the mothers take the daughters shopping.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:56

Webmaster
I will be up checking on Spring Creek, I mean catching up with my daughter a lot this fall. The cool part is I have Yellow Creek and the Little J on the journey.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 10:29

From Pittsburgh
As a former Penn Stater and fly fisher I am trying to gently persuade my children (9 and 8 yrs old) to consider the benefits of PSU, however I'm not sure if it will take or not - any advice?

Posted on: 2011/6/20 11:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
As a former Penn Stater and fly fisher I am trying to gently persuade my children (9 and 8 yrs old) to consider the benefits of PSU, however I'm not sure if it will take or not - any advice?

Take them to a few PSU games. Big games, thinkin OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Alabama, somethin like that, not the sisters of the poor.

Either of them boys? If so, wait till their 14+, take them for a walk on campus before game, where scantily clad coeds are out and about.

On the downside, PSU is rather steep in price, at least compared to the smaller state schools. I did it right. IUP for my undergrad. Get a free ride + stipend to PSU for grad school!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 12:41

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Either of them boys? If so, wait till their 14+, take them for a walk on campus before game, where scantily clad coeds are out and about.

Yeah my boy's only 9 right now and he still thinks girls are yucky and might kill on contact. But that suggestion is sure to work in a few years.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 11:47

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

dkile wrote:
I will be up checking on Spring Creek, I mean catching up with my daughter a lot this fall. The cool part is I have Yellow Creek and the Little J on the journey.

Dave, dave, dave... No son or daughter wants their parents hovering about them as they explore their first tacit steps into independence or adulthood, to do so would be smothering and overbearing.

However, I assure you that your children would be well served by knowing their father would be in close reach, in the event of emergencies. Rather than driving from halfway across the state, knowing that should a need for beer icecream money arise, that Dear Ole Dad would be only minutes away would be a terriffic thing.

No, you shouldn't visit her every weekend. You should just remain in a 30 minute window. But, don't smother her, no sir... Enjoy the local scenery, I suppose that could be this "fishing" thing you enjoy so much. Maximize the time ont he stream, time better spent not being a helicopter parent, but just in the vicinity of your children.

If for no other reason, this allows you to take in maximum time doing whatever hobbies you need, while allowing your daughter the freedom to grow into adulthood!

I suppose visiting this Spring Creek place might not be a bad way to be close, but not smothering.

(good luck with that line of reasoning, I can be consulted for low fees on the proper simpering tone to take when exercising this line of argument with the missus)

Posted on: 2011/6/21 16:29

From State College PA
FYI: youth FF tryouts tuesday-wednsday up here

Posted on: 2011/6/22 6:55

From Monessen, PA
I am an emergency helicopter parent-pilot and I will swoop in and provide rescue logistics when needed. This usually requires a dinner the night before, then up early and on the water within 15 minutes while the rest of the family sleeps: "Call me when everyone is dressed and ready to do something." (That usually gets me until noon, which is cool during move-in assistance, because of the tricos).

And speaking of "Move In Weekend:" find away around it; it is a fiasco. Tell your daughter to pack for a week and then walk her up with a handful of items and a couple suitcases to get her through the first week. Go fishing. Then, take Friday next off and load up the van with all her other stuff. Take it up without competition, then go fishing.

I went to college with a large army box and a suitcase and came home with the same. Girls need to rent a small moving van.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 8:01

From SE PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:

I went to college with a large army box and a suitcase and came home with the same. Girls need to rent a small moving van.

With girls it gets worse each year. I'm up to two pickup truck loads for my daughter as a senior next semester.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 9:29

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

ezpickins wrote:

The football thing is obvious but if either of them are wrestlers and Cael is still there it probably won't be hard to have them wanting to go to PSU. What's happening at PSU with Cael at the helm is amazing and special. He doesn't have to go out and really recruit wrestlers quite like coaches at other programs do, plenty of the country's best wrestlers are seeking him out.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 10:49

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Girl's v-ball games are a ton of fun too....

Posted on: 2011/6/22 14:23

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Girl's v-ball games are a ton of fun too....

My daughter is in the 95+ percentile for height maybe I could push her into volleyball at PSU

Posted on: 2011/6/22 17:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com