Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Shenango River, Mercer County, 5/11 and 5/12/13

From Ohio
Fished the Shenango River yesterday morning from around 7ish to noon and then again today from I want to say around 10:30 to 2. Great fishing both days.

Yesterday started off abnormal. I arrived at the river to see a pretty good caddis hatch(nothing out of the ordinary) but the fish were rising everywhere! For some reason the fish on the Shenango don't really take advantage of the hatches there but yesterday they did. Lost track of how many trout I caught I dries, I think around 10. Tan caddis sz 16-14ish. I left my main dry fly box at home so I didn't have a good selection, and I eventually lost both of my flies(one to a fish, one to a tree) that I was having action on. The next fly I tried the color and size was off a little and I barely got any to rise. Frustrating. I then tied on a dropper with a sz 16 cased caddis larvae and picked up a few more. Also stopped by Cool Spring Creek for a half an hour(didn't have much time) and picked up one bow on a streamer. Also ran into fishingnoob there which was nice.

Today the caddis were still hatching but I saw very few rises, although there were a few. Nothing on dries, but got a few more trout on streamers.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Oh and I caught a LOT of natives both days. They attacked streamers aggressively, but I even got one on a dry and one on a nymph! Trout were a nice by-catch though

Water conditions were good both days(as always there usually) and a good amount of other people but not a whole lot of catching by others. Great two days on the water!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 20:09

Re: Shenango River, Mercer County, 5/11 and 5/12/13

From Northwest PA
nice Nick. I'm still anticipating my first trout catch on a dry. Haven't had any luck yet. Maybe I'll have some luck this weekend at the jam

Posted on: 2013/5/13 8:07

From Ohio
Looks like you guys had nice outings.

Fishingnoob, a few words of advice. There is no substitute for time on the water practicing on fishing dries, this advice works for any new method of fishing. A good way to do this is by leaving the nymphs and streamers at home so you focus on getting better fishing dries (bring a few small nymphs for dry/dropper rig but don't fish them anyother way). One thing I did to get better at dry fly fishing was to fish for blue gills with a dry fly. Blue gills will rise to a dry fly and can be very discriminating at times.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 7:46

From harlansburg
oh, I think if your coming to the jam this weekend you'll get your chance to catch fish on dries, this time of year on those creeks, it's the only way lots of us fish, nymphs are for winter!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 8:09

From Northwest PA
Funny you mention that bikerfish cause I DID!!! Nailed a nice 13 inch brook trout with a march brown on fishing creek...absolutely incredible and totally thrilling...it was the highlight of my time at the jam

Posted on: 2013/5/19 18:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com