Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Ridley Creek, Delaware Co., 4/24/2014

From Media, PA
Fished the open section for a few hours after work, starting around five, water clear and probably upper fifties; forgot to drop in my thermometer. It was a bit windy and there was a steady tan caddis hatch coming off, with some riser for a change. I switched over to a dry and caught one nice rainbow and missed another but the top water died off quickly despite tons of bugs. Also the fish were surprisingly picky. Met a friend around six and we prospected upstream but the action was pretty slow. My guess was the fish were stuffed form a prolonged hatch. Took a couple more on pupa and emerger patters and noticed a few more rises. Switched back to a no. 16 tan EHC and tossed back hand into the next pool up stream. The take was so vicious I over reacted and broke off, though probably a tired, after work knot was the culprit. While I was retying a couple fish rose close to where I broke off. A few more good drifts and a great take followed by a lively tussle on my 3 wt. Just a beautiful brown; 14'' with great fins and color. My buddy hooked up downstream at the same time; goof fishing fun. Nice evening on a pretty piece of water, and close to home, too.

Posted on: 4/24 21:57

Re: Ridley Creek, Delaware Co., 4/24/2014

Thanks for the report. I've only been there once but enjoy the open section more than the ffo. Some good pools to work in.

Posted on: 4/24 22:34

From Media, PA
I don't even remember the last time I fished the FFO there. I used to fish it more (many years ago) but there were better runs then, and way less fishermen. Plenty of scenic open water and usually a decent amount of fish, especially if you don't mine exploring. Didn't see another fisherman tonight once we got away from the road. Oh that was supposed to read good fun in my first post.

Posted on: 4/24 23:12

From Philadelphia
did you fish the open section up stream or down stream of the FFO section. Not been there in a while, and not sure if there are fish up stream above the damn?

Posted on: 4/25 13:42

From Media, PA
Upstream, and yes there are trout above the dam (also rising Rock Bass). If you park at the top of the fly stretch you can walk up to some nice water; the best of which starts above the handicap deck IMO. There are also fish below the FFO though I don't usually fish that as much. You can check the PFBC site which actually gives you nice maps of the limits, but the trout are often above and below these points.

Posted on: 4/25 21:46

Pulled 15 out of Ridley yesterday in the open section. Biggest went 15 or so inches. Lots of bait guys coming out with stringers full of fish.

Most came on a red copper john though I did switch to a EHC for some dry fly action. Decent number of fish rising by 3 pm

Posted on: 4/27 14:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com