Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Potomac River, Washington County MD, 07/16/13
From Gettysburg
Hit the upper Potomac yesterday evening with 3wt7X for a nice summer evening. Water level on the river was 4.5' at the Hancock gage, which is a bit on the high side for mid July however overall conditions looked excellent to me. Water was crystal clear with good summer grass growth. I didn't get a formal water temp but it felt cool to the touch - would guess it to be pushing 80 considering that air temps were in the 90s.
Fishing was decent with a slow pick of small bass and sunfish (mostly greenies) before the sun set. Small bass were visible in the usual spots and, as is typical for the upper Potomac River, catfish were very abundant. We saw dozens of catties, usually in packs of 4-6 fish in the 12-18" size range. They'll hit a fly if you present it to them but we didn't catch any. Also saw a few carp and a muskie. When the sun set, the river picked up a bit. There was a steady popper bite for a short period and Josh brought a couple good fish to boatside (probably bass from the big 2007 year class on this river). Several bass were hooked when seen busting minnows right up against a rocky shoreline - always fun when you see this.
Altogether, we stuck perhaps a dozen or so bass. Not fast and furious fishing but a nice evening.

Attach file:

jpg  236.jpg (33.55 KB)
26_51e69c94bac3d.jpg 319X239 px

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:33

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/7/17 22:35:12

Re: Potomac River, Washington County MD, 07/16/13

From Glen Rock PA
Good to hear of lots of grass! i fish at ft. frederick st park every year at least once, 2 years back grass was low almost looks like a fair amount had died off, last year we hit the river high and muddy so could't get good look at the grass.

Nice report! I like that river.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com