Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Pohopoco Carbon County 06-24-2010

From Bozeman
All of that may be true, but I think the point being made is that a stocked fishery can never be "world class". I certainly believe that.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 16:17

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I've fished numerous destination-type trout waters up and down the East from the Tuck and Nantahala in North Carolina, the Beamoc and Upper D systems in NY, West Branch Ausable and other Adirondack rivers also in NY, as well as the incredible Upper Connecticut River in New Hampshire and the Lehigh is pretty darned close to most of them and improving.

If that is even remotely true then the Lehigh is definitely getting a bad rap. I grew up fishing Tuck and Nantahala and would love to get that kind of quality fishing locally. I mean I am a master at dodging the tubers and rafters on the Nantahala, so I should be golden on the Lehigh. I am going to NC for a week or two to fish the NC/TN rivers. When I get back I will allow you to take me out and prove the Lehigh. LOL.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 16:55

From LV
Anyone know why the Upper Sections of the PO are closed, I used to fish there and it was way better fishing for wild fish then stockies. IMHO it would be a wild trout stream without stocking headwaters to mouth even if the d*!? dam wasn't there. As for the Lehigh it probably only needs about 250cfs all summer of cold water, the trouble is it's managed for only one thing, that is rafting.
A fine brook trout fishery was taken away from us when the dam was built.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 19:34

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Anyone know why the Upper Sections of the PO are closed, I used to fish there and it was way better fishing for wild fish then stockies. IMHO it would be a wild trout stream without stocking headwaters to mouth even if the d*!? dam wasn't there. As for the Lehigh it probably only needs about 250cfs all summer of cold water, the trouble is it's managed for only one thing, that is rafting.
A fine brook trout fishery was taken away from us when the dam was built.

What do you mean its closed? To my knowledge the upper reaches of the PO are not closed but rather access is severely limited because it predominantly runs thru private land and is posted against trespassing.

The Lehigh is actually not just managed for rafting anymore. Fishery concerns have been addressed, maybe not to all of our satisfaction but there has been progress in gaining considerations for fishery release management of the dam. At any rate, the #1 management directive for the FEW dam is flood-control, recreational management is always subject to flood control needs. If more and more area fly anglers would support the fishery efforts on the Lehigh with regards to lobbying for better release considerations the trout fishery would improve even more.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:59

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
All of that may be true, but I think the point being made is that a stocked fishery can never be "world class". I certainly believe that.

I though the point he was making was mostly that the Lehigh has no potential to have thriving wild trout fishery. I tend to agree with you that for a river to be world class it has to have a thriving wild trout population. However, there are rivers throughout the country that I've heard the term "world-class" associated used to describe the fishing and not all of them are exclusively wild trout fisheries.

I just don't understand some of the lack of support or greater interest from area anglers to help with the goal of further improving what is definitely a very good and viable trout fishery already. I only started fishing it a few years ago and at first had a tough time finding trout, however once I did I found out how productive it could be. During this time I was beginning to make some runs up to the Upper D system. The Upper D is beautiful country but I grew tired of driving 2.5 hours each way to seemingly always fish in 40mph winds while trying to get accurate casts and drag-free drifts to very spooky and selective trout. In 30 minutes or less I can be on the Lehigh anywhere from Palmerton to White Haven and have my own adventure with the real possiblity of catching a half-dozen to a dozen trout with a good chance at several fish over 16, 17 inches.

I get a little overexcited about the Lehigh but its because I've seen its potential both on the water and thru the findings of the coldwater study and Dr. Bachmann's opinion based on his tailwater trout fishery expertise.

Without a doubt my 3 favorite PA trout streams to fish are Big Fishing Creek(Lamar), Brodhead Creek, and the Lehigh River.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 9:14

From lancaster county
Quote:
I though the point he was making was mostly that the Lehigh has no potential to have thriving wild trout fishery. I tend to agree with you that for a river to be world class it has to have a thriving wild trout population. However, there are rivers throughout the country that I've heard the term "world-class" associated used to describe the fishing and not all of them are exclusively wild trout fisheries. I just don't understand some of the lack of support or greater interest from area anglers to help with the goal of further improving what is definitely a very good and viable trout fishery already. I only started fishing it a few years ago and at first had a tough time finding trout, however once I did I found out how productive it could be. During this time I was beginning to make some runs up to the Upper D system. The Upper D is beautiful country but I grew tired of driving 2.5 hours each way to seemingly always fish in 40mph winds while trying to get accurate casts and drag-free drifts to to very spooky and selective trout. In 30 minutes or less I can be on the Lehigh anywhere from Palmerton to White Haven and have my own adventure with the real possiblity of catching a half-dozen to a dozen trout with a good chance at several fish over 16, 17 inches. I get a little overexcited about the Lehigh but its because I've seen its potential both on the water and thru the findings of the coldwater study and Dr. Bachmann's opinion based on his tailwater trout fishery expertise. Without a doubt my 3 favorite PA trout streams to fish are Big Fishing Creek(Lamar), Brodhead Creek, and the Lehigh River.

I agree except for the last sentence My 3 are different

Posted on: 2010/7/13 9:20

Quote:
The Lehigh is actually not just managed for rafting anymore. Fishery concerns have been addressed, maybe not to all of our satisfaction but there has been progress in gaining considerations for fishery release management of the dam. At any rate, the #1 management directive for the FEW dam is flood-control, recreational management is always subject to flood control needs. If more and more area fly anglers would support the fishery efforts on the Lehigh with regards to lobbying for better release considerations the trout fishery would improve even more.

Hey Ryan

Good stuff you been posting. One thing however that needs to be differentiated between is the term "Recreation" and what is good for the fishery/trout. "Recreation" is a secondary purpose for FEW. However, under the terms of "Recreation" there is no protection for the fishery. Yes, anglers may get flows/releases that are able to provide access (wade or float) to the river....but it will not require the Corps to release water in a manner that will protect the fishery or trout.

This fact needs to be incorporated into any future plans and Studies. FEW needs another purpose to "protect" the fishery or provide environmental protection (or some language to this effect) that requires the Corps to release water in a manner that will protect the trout (i.e - not deplete the coldwater) and provide benefit or improvement to the aquatic ecosystem.

A wise man has always said to me...."its about the trout - stupid"

This fall at the Trout Work Group meeting we will discuss...Hope you can attend.

Dean (aka - LR)

PS - Agree with 1 out of 3 of those streams you listed -

Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:04

From Lehighton, PA
You're correct I simplified too much when I stated fishery management. I did just mean the so-called fishery releases under the Recreation release plan. I figure its an improvement that its not whitewater releases every weekend all season long and at least anglers are getting invited into the room (even if we're still fighting for an equal place at the table.) Still trying to get up to speed with all the apects of that recreational plan knowing its consequences for the fishery inside and out but I'm getting there. I'm an enthusiastic cheerleader for its potential.

I got my copy of the newsletter last week, great stuff. The fingerling survey should reveal some great data. Just from word of mouth and guide reports I think the PFBC will be pleased. I've caught fin-clipped fingerlings in several locations up and down the middle river.

This year between the latter 2 of those 3 stream I mentioned I absolutely wore out my slate drake dry flies! The dry fly fishing was outrageous on both streams this spring.

Now that we just got a 2-man Scadden I can't wait to get my Dad out on the Lehigh this fall.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:05

Why fish for trout in the Lehigh when there are all those slab smallies?? LOL Seriously though, they are quite under appreciated. And they don't mind the hot water all that much.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 20:17

From West Lawn, PA
I fished there for smallies Monday. Did not disappoint me.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 22:28

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com