Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Penns, Centre County, Fri 4-26 and Mon 4-29

From SEPA
Fished Penns on Friday 4-26. Since we had bluebird skies I decided to hit the brookie streams early, that turned out to be a good choice. Got to Penns between 4 and 5 pm. Grannoms and some Hendrickson were popping off the water. The water was up a bit and had a fair stain. There was an occasional swirl here and there. I found action with pheasant tail soft hackles swung in the current, the backs of pools were the area of choice. Picked up a handful of fiesty browns and a rainbow.

Hit Penns again on Monday 4-29. Water was lower and clearer, it was in fine shape. At 11:30 am the grannoms had already started to appear. I grabbed one out of the air to get a look at the body color, it looked to be a dark charcoal color. I put on a tandem of bead head pheasant tail followed by a smoky mountain blackbird, which was a good match for the grannoms. Later I changed to 2 blackbirds when the fish got active. If I could find a swirl, swinging a blackbird over the target would be met with a smashing take. I had to move several times to find active fish, but every spot produced. The highlight of the day was sticking a 16 inch, long, skinny brown in fast water. Caught a few rainbows early down deep, then caught a fair number of browns later on. Grannoms were out early (all day), and the hendrickson came out about 5 pm.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 15:51

Re: Penns, Centre County, Fri 4-26 and Mon 4-29

From Collegeville, PA
You're lucky, I fished Penns at Cherry Run on Saturday afternoon, and saw very few fish rising. There were plenty of bugs around all afternoon, but no fish were rising too them. When I left around 6PM, I talked to a guy who did well on dries the previous evening. I think that since it was quite cold on Friday night, the fish must had been turned off. There were a lot of fisherman sitting on the bank waiting for surface action that never occurred. All that I was able to catch was one little dink brownie on a nymph.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:21

Edited by TYoung on 2013/5/2 18:48:03

Re: Penns, Centre County, Fri 4-26 and Mon 4-29

From Richfield, PA
Quote:

TYoung wrote:
You're lucky, I fished Penns at Cherry Run on Saturday afternoon, and saw very few fish rising. There were plenty of bugs around all afternoon, but no fish were rising too them. When I left around 6PM, I talked to a guy who did well on dries the previous evening. I think that since it was quite cold on Friday night, the fish must had been turned off. There were a lot of fisherman sitting on the bank waiting for surface action that never occurred. All that I was able to catch was one little dink brownie on a nymph.

You left too soon, as is the case most times. Sometimes you can't wait till dark for the trout to start rising, and I understand that, but about an hour before dark caddis made an appearance, followed by a great Hendrickson spinnerfall.

I was much further up in the c&r section and heads were up everywhere. Prior to 6:00 though I didn't see any risers, and there was a good hatch in the afternoon. Lot's of times though the trout only like to play during the spinnerfalls.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 18:33
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com