Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Muddy Creek, York County 3/22/2013

From S. Central PA
Fished in the FFO stretch of Muddy Creek from around 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Water was maybe a little low for this time of year and clear, water temp a chilly 40*. Which was also close to the air temperature, windy and mostly cloudy. Caught about a 10" brown in the hole below the big rock and about a 16" bow at the big rock. Both on a #16 Hares Ear. Also fished a BHPT and IPW but no more fish. No bugs.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I've always heard that crayfish are a sign of a healthy stream. Does size matter?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 22:22

Re: Muddy Creek, York County 3/22/2013

From South Central PA
Looks more like a lobster!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 14:28

From Da 'Berg, PA
good eating. they also live off trout eggs. i would have eaten it.

thats a lovely brown. reminds of the wild ones i've caught

Posted on: 2013/3/23 14:50

From S. Central PA
Don't think the thought of steaming that beast up with a little Old Bay didn't cross my mind. Especially considering it was way too big for it to be trout food. Maybe I would've been doing the trout a favor by harvesting...

I'm sure the bow was a fresh stocker. Not so sure about the brown.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 16:39

From Lancaster
I can remember many years ago, fishing the Buffalo Creek (an ATW) in Perry County with my son on a weekend family trip to the cabin. I was flyfishing the upper end of long pool and my son (probably 9 or 10 at the time) was fishing the deep mid section of the pool with worms and his spinning outfit. When I got back down to him a little before dark he had the entire bottom of a large Igloo cooler covered with some monster crayfish.
I remember telling him if we were going to keep them we needed to eat them. He obviously had no problem with that! My wife on the other hand ....... well ....... she was a bit less than impressed with the number of crayfish that he happened to fool that evening. However, we did steam approximately two dozen large crayfish and with a bit of ketchup and horseradish sauce they really were not too bad. Oh, the memories!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:27

From Gettysburg
Good chance they were Rusty Crayfish - not a good thing to find in your local waterway (they're in the Susky drainage now).
However, they grow big and make for good eating.

Even if they were not Rusties, many of the native crayfish are very large this time of year after they come out of hibernation. I have a personal theory that the very large adult crays are more active in cold water. I see a few - usually very large - crayfish that are out and about in the dead of winter with water temps in the 30s. By this time of year, crayfish are starting to move and it's often the bigger ones that you'll see first (at least that's been my unscientific observation).

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:45

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Good chance they were Rusty Crayfish - not a good thing to find in your local waterway (they're in the Susky drainage now).
However, they grow big and make for good eating.

yup, they can overrun streams and ponds. i saw a show about a pond in London that the park wardens were trapping 200lbs of signal crayfish a week. they couldn't trap them fast enough...

a trout net and a chicken bone was we used to use as kids to catch em.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 18:07

From S. Central PA
Just as well I passed on the fresh water lobster. A quick check of the regs...

Quote:
Approved trout waters are closed for taking fishbait and baitfish from March 1 to the opening day of trout season.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
100 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com