Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Mud Run, Carbon County,4/6/2012

Discussions about the lack of fish in these streams has been an ongoing one for quite a while. No one seems to know what the story is, other than the fish (and bugs for that matter) don't seem to be there like they've been in the past.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:03

From Carbon County
I'm not a fly guy (spinners and spoons here) but I fish Mud Run about once every three weeks or so. Fall, Winter and Spring I tend to see the most amount of fish. The fish are incredibly picky and almost maddening to get to hit. The sections I work have never produced a limit (keep or release) however the fish I do land have all been near trophy size. Brookies, Brownies and Tigers all bigger than 18 inches which keep me going back in hopes of the day they happen to be aggressively feeding. If I want to catch a lot of fish I go else where. If I want to try for a big fish I stop here.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 12:49

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Lmao, not even a good troll.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 13:35

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
I caught an 18" 'bow in Mud Run once.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 14:07

From Easton, PA
I know this discussion is over a year old at this point, but i figured i would share some encouraging news regarding the wild trout populations in some of the streams being discussed. I, as well as most everyone else who has posted, has had little luck on Mud Run (just 1 decent Brookie upstream of the confluence with Panther Creek and no more). However, I fished Hawk Run last winter and caught roughly 15 wild browns and brookies (all legal size) from the confluence with Mud Run up to RT 534. In fact, there is a nice little pool on Hawk Run about 2-3 feet deep and 20 ft long just on the North side of 534, in which at one point there was a surprisingly large cache of young brookies - i would say upwards of 30-40 fish. I stop there occasionally just to see if they are still present, and they are, just not as many (I would assume easy targets for heron and other wildlife, and not very well hidden or off the beaten path). I have also caught a couple of wild browns (very dark coloration) on Panther Creek within 100 yards of Mud Run. The largest brown I caught in the area was in the upper plunge pool of Hawk Falls - a VERY yellow brown trout roughly 12 inches.

I also fished Black Creek last winter from RT 534 to Fourth and only saw one fish darting away as i approached. No hook ups. From what ive read this apparently used to hold some very nice wild trout, many in the 14-20in range. Im sure many people read the PFBC biologist report that shared this info and had their way with it.

I would like to know if anyone has fished Mud Run downstream of the TPK. On satellite views, it appears that there is a decent sized waterfall about 2 miles down from the TPK bridge (halfway between the bridge and fishing club further down), but i cant find any info on these falls. Seeing as this is a pretty steep gorge and fairly innaccessible, i would assume the fishing pressure is not as great in this section. Anyone have any feedback on this section of stream? This is just outside of what appears to be SP boundries, so maybe it is just private and unfishable?

Posted on: 12/30 15:13

From E-Town and Germania
homeontheroad, check your PMs.

Posted on: 12/30 19:01

Sterile...nothing alive. Just kidding. I've done quite well casting henyville specials in the little pokets in the riffles upstream from the falls in mud run over the years. A Reasonably fit person should have no access problems. Not the easy access like valley creek but then there's nothing alive in there either.

Posted on: 1/1 23:29

Quote:

vcregular wrote:
Discussions about the lack of fish in these streams has been an ongoing one for quite a while. No one seems to know what the story is, other than the fish (and bugs for that matter) don't seem to be there like they've been in the past.

I fished Mud Run since the 70's, never witnessed prolific hatches. Why? Don't know. And I was never impressed with the trout population.

Posted on: 1/2 0:17

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

homeontheroad wrote:
I also fished Black Creek last winter from RT 534 to Fourth and only saw one fish darting away as i approached. No hook ups. From what ive read this apparently used to hold some very nice wild trout, many in the 14-20in range. Im sure many people read the PFBC biologist report that shared this info and had their way with it.

There's been some pretty extensive discussion on here about Black/Hayes recently. Just do a search and you should dig up the threads. I believe the latest discussion was around electroshocking and confirmation that there are actually fish in there, although they may be higher up in the waterway where access is, ummm, difficult at best.

Posted on: 1/2 10:12

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com