Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Monocacy Creek Illicks Mill (almost daily) report

From Lehigh Valley
I figure if I spend the bulk of every lunch hour at this stream, in the stocked park section, then why aren't I telling people about it?

Stream is looking good today, clear and a decent volume. Took a pair of browns on a generic cased caddis pattern (brown dubbing, green dubbing partridge legs, black dubbed head) just below the falls in the pocket water.

There were no other fishermen while I was there, but a few were showing up as I left at 3:15.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 15:38

Re: Monocacy Creek Illicks Mill (almost daily) report

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I figure if I spend the bulk of every lunch hour at this stream, in the stocked park section, then why aren't I telling people about it?

There were no other fishermen while I was there, but a few were showing up as I left at 3:15.

exactly...

Posted on: 2009/4/29 16:16

From Bethlehem
I was there from about 5:30 to 7:00 and caught a few of those 4-6 inch browns on a caddis emerger pattern. There were some sporadic rises starting around 6:00 but nothing too interesting. Lots of guys out, didn't even see any larger trout but they must be there. Some caddis on the water and a few BWO's coming off.

S6

Posted on: 2009/4/29 20:32

From Lehigh Valley
From 12 to 1, usual spot... Alot of black caddis in the air, so I went with the same pattern as yesterday.

Unfortunatly, I need to work on my tying. I had two quality strikes, but neither one was the hook set good enough. Too much body on my flies.

Anyways, they're there, and they're hungry. Its a bad time to be a caddis.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 13:55

I was up there a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. First time up there. Real nice area. I fished upstream from there and with up to the other section as well.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 17:09

From Bethlehem
I usually see a lot of black caddis in this area this time of year, but I have never had any success with a black caddis pattern. I don't know if it is just me, or that the black caddis is not a major food source. I do pretty well with tan caddis, especially the emerger which is my #2 pattern overall (after the BHPT).

I'd be interested to know if others can catch fish here with a black caddis.

S6

Posted on: 2009/5/1 8:33

From Lehigh Valley
I never catch anything on dries. Poor technique combined with lack of faith.

They've been pretty hot on caddis larva patterns this week, though.

Probably not going today due to the sporadic rain, so I brought my tying supplies to try Shark's Caddis Larva and I'll give 'em a go next week.

[img width=300]http://globalflyfisher.com/new_lib/image.php?size=w384&file=/home/gff/public_html/patterns/sharks-caddis-larva/caddis.jpg[/img]

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:59

From Lehigh Valley
Hey there it's good to see some posts in my neck of the woods. The Mill is one of the closest spots to my house but I usually avoid it in the beginning of the season because it gets so crowded. If you're looking for dry fly action I would check out Jordan creek. There's a lot of midges coming off and the stockies line up in the flats to feast.

I've never really had too much luck with caddis and traditional dries like EHC, anywhere in the valley. But the emergent sparkle pupa flies have done well and pulled some nice trout in the trophy trout section of the monocacy.

I avoid fishing nymphs if at all possible, but I've been meaning to tie some deep sparkle pupa flies to see how the caddis eaters like them.

I checked out the trophy section about a week ago at dusk, no sign of any suphurs at all.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 11:33

From Lehigh Valley
I spent early spring on the TT section, I'll probably spend fall there too.

My goal is to really learn the ins and outs of the Monoc around my house. Once I've got it down, I'll start branching out, but I've got plenty of technique to learn, I might as well cut my learning curve.

As for the Lafontaine Sparkle Pupa, I've been trying them but they just look bad when I do it. I never seem to get that effortless looking bubble or the nicely trailing shuck.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 15:27

From central pa
Quote:

PhilC wrote:
Hey there it's good to see some posts in my neck of the woods. The Mill is one of the closest spots to my house but I usually avoid it in the beginning of the season because it gets so crowded. If you're looking for dry fly action I would check out Jordan creek. There's a lot of midges coming off and the stockies line up in the flats to feast.

I've never really had too much luck with caddis and traditional dries like EHC, anywhere in the valley. But the emergent sparkle pupa flies have done well and pulled some nice trout in the trophy trout section of the monocacy.

I avoid fishing nymphs if at all possible, but I've been meaning to tie some deep sparkle pupa flies to see how the caddis eaters like them.

I checked out the trophy section about a week ago at dusk, no sign of any suphurs at all.

What part of the Jordan? I was up on the section in the gamelands last week and there weren't many trout. Water was low and clear. In about 3/4 mile of stream I counted maybe a dozen fish located in just three holes. I landed two on BHPT. Judging by the heavy boot prints the area has been fished hard.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 15:52

From Lehigh Valley
Went out yesterday in what appeared to be a break in the rain.

The radar map lied to me. I got lightly dumped on for forty minutes while I enjoyed vigorious flows and off colour water. I finished teh day with one small brown off a flashback pheasant tail, and having to slide over a 4' drop to precariously stand on some moss and slime covered rocks to retrieve a fly box fallen from my pocket.

This in turn meant a healthy slopping of mud on my slacks, and two more hours of work after I got back to the office.

Business casual not always the best fishing attire.

Heading in today it looks far higher, meaning I'll probably skip lunchtime fishing.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 8:53

From Lehigh Valley
High water, no sign of life, lost my last properly proportioned Clouser on some other jackhole's cut-off snag mid stream.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 14:53

From Media, PA
gfen, May I suggest a pair of slip on barn boots. I have a pair that are green rubberized boots, slightly less than knee high, with a good lug sole. (Tractor Supply) You could slip a pair of heavy socks on, and they would provide easy off after lunch break. You would be able to protect your slacks and shoes from tell tale mud, etc.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 15:49

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Van_Cleaver wrote:
gfen, May I suggest a pair of slip on barn boots. I have a pair that are green rubberized boots, slightly less than knee high, with a good lug sole. (Tractor Supply) You could slip a pair of heavy socks on, and they would provide easy off after lunch break. You would be able to protect your slacks and shoes from tell tale mud, etc.

I'll second this tip. A lot of the old timers at the Little Lehigh no wading section wear these kind of boots, and they are perfect for this. Easy on/off, and mine live in the back of my truck, so I always have them. Home Depot sells them for around ten bucks - the kind I have are used for concrete work. They actually have a nice lining that protects your socks, and are warm enough for a few hours wear in the winter.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:04

From Lehigh Valley
I've thought about putting my cheap rubber hippers in the car, but find htem to be annoying even for short periods. Also thought about a pair of those Bean duck boots, but in the end I find it amusing when I come back with my legs muddied up.

Its really the sort of thing I've been known for over the years, none the less, if they're really only $10, it'll be nice even if its only to wade out a couple feet to get a better angle in certain spots.

But, I spent my fishing allowance for the month. Hah.

I think I'll take an earlier lunch slot today nd report back in...

Posted on: 2009/5/6 11:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com