Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Meadow DHALO, Fayette, 07APR2007

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
With all the fun Tom and Ryan and Jack have been having on Meadow Run, I just had to get down there again. It was cold with frequent snow showers. I started with streamers and buggers. I got a few flashes and follows, but no hits. I switched over to stonefly nymphs and started getting into the fish. I landed about ten and probably lost as many. Nicest fish of the day was a fat 19 inch palomino.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2007/4/7 23:54

Re: Meadow DHALO, Fayette, 07APR2007

From SW PA
Went there today myself, had a lot of follows with buggers(no hook ups), switched to soft hackles and landed a few. Also caught one on a clouser, was pretty neat to watch the take. Here's a pic of a brookie my buddy landed.
JH
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posted on: 2007/4/8 0:37

Albatros,
I tortured that fish for about 45min on tuesday. That is what I was going to let Bruno tell you about. He said that shortly after I left him alone he started rising for flies. Jumped out of the water twice! Still have not caught a palamino.

What did you finally get him on? DId you actively fish for him or was he a surprise? I pitty the poor guys that stock that stream it must be a real pain in the but.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 12:17

Ryan,

There were 2 palominos I saw. I hooked the first, but he got off. The first one was only a couple hundred yards upstream from the parking area near the mouth of Meadow. There were a bunch of invisible brooks and browns lying with the palomino, I caught several of them. The second (larger) palomino (pictured above) was in the huge pool with a giant boulder on the far side of the creek. I actually crossed the creek at the tail of this pool and was fishing from on top of the boulder (someone said you can learn about bugger fishing that way). The palomino had a lie under the boulder where I couldn't see it, but several times it followed my fly out from under the boulder and I would see it. I changed flies a few times and, while I wasn't constantly fishing for this palomino, I would give him the ocassional drift. I finally put on a Bead Head Halfback Flashback nymph (kind of like a stonefly) and that got him on the first drift. Heres a link to a Halfback nymph link

I had my best luck all day on big ugly stonefly nymphs. The fish didn't seem real particular as long as it was big. I caught fish on a conehead rubberleg stonefly, a beadhead twenty incher, a golden stonefly that was probably on a #4 hook, and of course the Bead Head Halfback Flashback nymph.

One of the brookies I landed had a Joe's Fly spinner in his mouth which I kept as a souvenir.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 18:38

Bruno,

Did you catch this fish too?

Posted on: 2007/4/8 23:14

From Room 109
No. I saw the fish you mentioned in the pool below. I could not get him to hit a dry. I guess I got some golden feaver when I saw him rising to dry flys. I have never caught a palomino. Funny as hell to see this fish come out of the water.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 8:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com