Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lyman Run/Pine Creek Tioga/Potter County 11/9/12

From Ephrata, PA
I had a day to fish God's Country before meeting up w/ our church's youth group who had a retreat this weekend in Morris, PA. Arrived in God's Country around 10pm on Thursday night (after a stop in at Big Meadows to see Sandfly). It was well in the 20s on Thursday night.

By Friday, the air had warmed up considerably. I was fishing with two noobs to fly fishing (one had only been fishing a few months, the other had never fly fished before). Our first stop was Lyman Run. I wanted them to experience small stream, wilderness fishing. They're both hunters, so I thought they'd appreciate the environment. On Sandfly's advice, we started close to the lake. At the first hole I showed them how to cast in a small stream situation, and I promptly got a hit from a nice sized brownie. Failed to land it, 'cause I was talking more than fishing!

After helping them learn to roll cast, drift, etc., we started hole hopping. I mostly showed them the holes and how to cast into them. They did pretty well, but I spent a lot of the morning tying tippet and flys on I managed one small brownie, and one fairly large 'bow that came up from the lake. Neither of my buds hooked up with anything, but they really loved fishing the small stream. By the end of our time on Lyman, they were starting to read water and find holes without me saying, "this would be a good spot to fish!" Didn't see any signs of the spawn. Water had a good flow, was relatively clear, and cold. Took a temp, I think it was around 46 degrees. Some of the standing pools in the meadows had a thin layer of ice over them, but it was quickly warming up.

After Lyman, we headed down to Slate Run Tackle. The lads weren't in, but we picked up a few supplies, parked at the big lot there, ate our lunch, then hit the big waters. Completely different experience for my friends. They really got to practice longer casts here. My one friend, who had never fly fished before, was a natural. His casting and his drifts were simply amazing. He didn't hook up w/ anything, though I'm convinced he had strikes, he was just slow and clumsy on setting the hook. My other friend hooked into two, but due to inexperience, lost them both (too much slack). I forgot how tough the learning curve is when you start fly fishing! I managed several stocked brownies, and this beauty, which I THINK may be wild, if not, a hold over for sure. I caught it at the mouth of Slate Run and Pine Creek.
Click to see original Image in a new window

My friends did great, and they loved every minute of it. They really got the bug for fly fishing. The weather was perfect, too!

Posted on: 2012/11/13 14:04

Re: Lyman Run/Pine Creek Tioga/Potter County 11/9/12

From York, PA
Sasquatch,

Excellent post! Thanks so very much. A pic also!

I have been backsliding big time with my UL spin and the lake crappies.

This gives me a reason to pick up my flyrod again. I heard they stocked Laurel Lake today (south of Carlisle).

I'm glad to see that you still kept your faith with all this political crap around....... even if you are a "righty"?

Posted on: 2012/11/14 1:03

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah pics are a bit of a rarity for me! I have some beautiful ones from the Pine Creek valley and Lyman Run, though. Hard to take a bad picture in that part of the world.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 8:05

From Clearfield
Did you catch anything out of the pipe?

Posted on: 2012/11/14 9:56

From Ephrata, PA
Not this time! Didn't have to resort to such Lehigh Valley Gorilla Tactics, as the fish were actively feeding in the main water.

That fish will forever live in my memory though. When getting the skunk on PA's wilderness brook trout streams, try fishing the drainage ditches!

Posted on: 2012/11/14 9:59

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

csoult wrote:
Did you catch anything out of the pipe?

Ha! This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this report.

I was just up at PCFCG a few weeks ago Andy. Didnt fish though just in case they were spawning. I was going to stop by the camp but it looks like I would've missed you anyway.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 10:26

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah my brother would have been there at the camp. That could have been awkward hahaha! We should start planning for the spring NCPA Summit. My dad was asking about it last week. This year, our camp is open for everyone to stay at.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 10:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com