Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Little Juniata River, Huntingdon Co., 8/18/2011
From Monessen, PA
Stopped by after dropping Connie off at State College. Fished several locations from Grier School to Spruce Creek. Water was low, a tad murky but still cool. By no means cold.

Hatch activity was limited to some smalll dark caddis and a yellow cranefly. Was scouting for Isos but didn't see any. I only caught smallish trout, but missed a couple respectable ones on dries. I may have caught a couple bobber fishing with a pheasant tail, also, but don't wish to talk about it.

I would say it is safe to fish early and late, but take temperatures if you are there mid-day or go to areas where springs dropped the temp a bit. I lost my thermometer, but I would say when I started, it was likely into the mid-sixties, but the trout seemed healthy and were feeding sporadically, so I suspect that has been the peak for a spell, at least.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:18

Edited by JackM on 2011/12/24 11:02:42

Re: Little Juniata River, Huntingdon Co., 8/18/2011

Always good to get out. Have you read TCO's stream reports. i think they are pretty accurate in saying that the LJR deserves a break right now, especially with no thermometer.

I am not being controversial in any way - just think it makes sense to follow this report up with a conservation pep-talk in case other uneducated forum readers read this and decide it is a good idea to fish the J.

LOTS of other great options up that way within minutes - PM me for the list

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:26

Jack, this is by no means a shot at you. I understand that you outlined the possible issues with fishing this river this time of year. I wanted to reiterate the importance and offer some alternatives.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:29

From Altoona/Smoke Run
If you know where to fish it and take temps its no different than any other stream. Glad to hear you got some even if you had to resort to such unrefined tactics.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 23:19

From Eastern PA
Lol. Did you put any of the feesh on rocks, roll them in mud and photo them for a few minutes? That would make for a better troll.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 23:50

From Monessen, PA
Actually, every fish I caught seemed healthy enough to survive the onslaught I laid on them. I try to assess the situation on streams for myself and would never let a flyshop or guide service tell me when THEY think it is safe to fish. My experience is that when they decide it isn't worth fishing, they want everyone else to believe it is irresponsible to do so. I don't buy their services or their tripe.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 2:55

From State College PA
So that this doesn't get out of hand (it has that smell)-
I can say with confidence that the stretch Jack fished was under 70, even at the high of the day/early evening.
The evening lows were in the high to mid fifties with low humidity the night before.

TCO is well meaning, but that is a very cautious report that probably applies to the lower river (Baree Gorge). Jack was closer to the spring sources and that section remains cool unless there is a heat wave. I think it is a bit harsh to categorize their report as tripe, however. Don't be angry with them.

Back when we had the heat wave, most of the section he fished hit the low 70s during the peak times. Now with highs in the low 80s and lows in the high fifties/low 60s warming is not an issue.

it would have been better to check, but no harm done.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 8:16

jdaddy, looks like you care enough to make a post so I guess it worked on you..:) I'm glad my educated opinion was enough to draw you out of your lair as well.

Nymph, I have to respectfully disagree with you on the temps. thouigh you might be close to right, I don't agree b/c I have days and days worth of data throughout that entire area from the last 6 weeks and your assumptions aren't the same as what I've found. TCO knows the local waters and I have no reason to believe they aren't accurate. I'm sure it applies to the lower J, but even the mid-section, which I agree is usually coldest is still problematic. It REALLY depends exactly where you are fishing and is touchy. Touchy enough that I'd very much rather see guys give it a break for a few weeks and fish the tons of other really cold water up that way.

I'm not saying you have to - I just wanted to make it known and offer up some other options that can only help the safety of the J.

If helping alleviate J trout during the summer is Troll activity then I guess I am a Troll. Doesn't really matter to me - I know how the Troll shouters are so that is why it really doesn't bother me a bit, because I know what you are all about...;)

Posted on: 2011/8/20 8:39

From State College PA
No need to keep this going, but people would be interested to know that the Little Juniata River Assoc recently purchased (5 I think) water temperature monitors that will be placed throughout the J. They will not report in real time though, but data will be collected and made available at some point, some way.
I was told real time monitors would cost a few thousand each. Any rich benefactors out there?

Not exactly on topic, but related.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 9:34

From Monessen, PA
The best real time data is a stream thermometer, but if I didn't mention it, I had lost it and haven't replaced it. This was the first instance when I really wish I had replaced it already, because I know the J can warm this time of year. I thought you would hold it to my credit, that I was unaware of TCOs pronouncement of a period of rest for the river. My sarcasm was aimed at any shop or guide who would be so presumptuous.

In any case, I first observed the river. The flow was sufficient to provide very good oxygenation. I took a hand-temperature, which I am very confident in with 4-5 degrees. If I had to give all benefit of the doubt to error, I was certain the ater was below 70, more likely in the mid-sixties at around 4:00 PM when I arrived.

I looked for risers and I saw them. this told me the fish were not hunkering down in the streambed or gathered in groups near springs. When I caught the first one, it was sufficiently healthy to justify in my mind spending a few hours on the creek. I did this at each of the three spots I fished.

The fish did not seem to object to my presence any more than they do in April or October.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 13:37

From Pgh
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Stopped by after dropping Connie off at State College.

Jack,
You realize of course, no matter what your daughter is studying at PSU, one of the REQUIRED courses would be Flyfishing as a Phys Ed credit. I'm sure you've already had a talk with her about that.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 14:16

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:

TCO is well meaning, but that is a very cautious report that probably applies to the lower river (Baree Gorge). Jack was closer to the spring sources and that section remains cool unless there is a heat wave. I think it is a bit harsh to categorize their report as tripe, however. Don't be angry with them.

I should have addressed this before:

I was hasty in using the epithetical expression "tripe" but I'm prone to such behavior. TCO surely means well, but I do get a negative feeling when fly shops don't leave it at something like this:

"Temperatures mid-day have been recorded at X and X, ... Please fish early or late or use a thermometer. remember, during higher than ideal water temperatures, seek out oxygenated water and try to refrain from keeping the fish out of water for a picture in the mud and leaves..."

I would rather see fly shops perform this kind of oblique educative function, than to present a mandate to potential customers regarding fishing on any particular waterway.

Posted on: 2011/8/20 18:14

From Minglewood
Jack you should read through some of the Delaware River Clubs reports you'd love them!

Posted on: 2011/8/20 22:21

From Ebensburg, PA
I just thought I'd add that I fished the Little J yesterday and temps were 59.7 - 60 deg on the mid-upper river at 11 am. The flow was around 220 and muddy but fish were chasing streamers pretty steadily.

Posted on: 2011/8/21 10:47

From Huntingdon
hey guys i am new to the forum. My name is Josh. i am on break from college in rexburg Idaho, SAKE RIVER is in my blood now :). anyways my home is Huntingdon and i was on the little J yesterday 8-20 at about 9 am the water temp was 61.5 degrees just down from grier school. it was warming slightly i was gone at about i didnt fish it though. i was dropping my father off in altoona to pick his truck up in altoona and only wanted a temp sample as i am headed there this week. Anyways i saw sporaddic rises in the 25 min i was there looking around and then i was itching to hit a favorite stream outside Newton Hamilton for some wild browns so i bailed. But the temp has definately gone down enough to fish in the past few weeks.

Posted on: 2011/8/21 16:05

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
151 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com