Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Little Juniata Creek, Perry County, 6/22/2011

From Philippines
Had some difficulty finding access to the stream, but eventually did and fished from around 830 - 1100.

Fish were rising when I arrived at the stream and I worked a Yellow Humpy and had numerous strikes but couldn't get a good set. I could tell they were very small trout and I would like to think it was the reason for the lack of setting but it was probably my skill level. This was an improvement for myself from a week ago when I fished. Less rust but still no trout. I also worked a Hair Wing Caddis and had a few hits as well and I tried a smaller Adams hoping that would help my set but it was to no avail.

I crossed paths with another fisher and it appeared as though this area of the stream does get traffic because of bait container litter and boot prints aplenty. The stream seemed to be typical of a mountain stream and had plenty of insect activity.

All in all, a good time even if I got skunked. Will keep the faith!

Posted on: 2011/6/22 14:54

Re: Little Juniata Creek, Perry County, 6/22/2011
From Monessen, PA
You may have been on the Juniata River in Perry County, but not the Little Juniata. If you were on the Little J, the County, I think is wrong. Do you care to give the approximate location so we can get the stream name or county corrected for the database?

Posted on: 2011/6/23 9:58

From South Central PA
He can speak for himself, but Little Juniata Creek in Perry county looks correct in this instance. Small stream with thermal issues in any hot year. Gets pounded pretty good. The PFBC plants fingerling rainbows in Mid-Spring. Not a destination stream but if in the area worth some time.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 10:43

From Philippines
Exactly the stream I speak of. Outside of New Bloomfield in Perry County. Appears it would have thermal issues and I was taking hits from the fingerlings. Definitely not a destination stream as stated, but nice scenery and a good quiet setting.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 12:13

From Monessen, PA
OK, so I understand, this creek is not the same as the Little Juniata River (branch of the Juniata River), correct?

Posted on: 2011/6/24 11:26

From Eastern PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
OK, so I understand, this creek is not the same as the Little Juniata River (branch of the Juniata River), correct?

Right. River v. Creek.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:10

From Monessen, PA
I did not know that.

Nevermind.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 18:14

From Hatfield, Pa.
That’s one of my home streams, starts in New Bloomfield and dumps into the Susquehanna at Duncannon. The state and a couple local clubs stock it for the ’worn chuckers’ and even though the state has been putting fingerling rainbow only in, there are wild browns to be had as well. Don’t know about the thermal issues as I fish it year round when I don’t have a lot of time to spend on the water. If you want more details drop me a line.

Buffalo

Posted on: 2011/6/27 12:37

From Southeast Pa
I might be in the new bloomfield area this weekend and saw little Juniata creek on google maps any advice on where to target this stream and what lurks in there would be greatly appreciated thank you

Posted on: 2013/5/17 17:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com