Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Lititz Run, Lancaster County, 3/27/09

From lancaster county
Will do

Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:18

From Manheim, PA
I think it'a about as tough as a stream as they come. That includes Valley and Letort and ranks right up there with them.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 23:50

Quote:

spectorfly wrote:
I think it'a about as tough as a stream as they come. That includes Valley and Letort and ranks right up there with them.

We established that, but not for the reasons of the other two you mentioned. The fish are pellet fed everyday. They are eating dog food consistently NOT NATURAL FORAGE. Therefore it's not an accurate assesment to put them on the same ballfield as the Letort or Valley. So when they refuse your fly it's not b/c of your fly or you.....Their looking for PURINA DOG CHOW. As mentioned before, a lot of fish come out of nowhere when those pellets start floating down. Fish you would normally not see....they do the same thing at LLH in the area they call the kiddie pool. I don't think you can compare Lititz to the other two mentioned. The fish may be really big there. But it's b/c they're being fed dog food, not natural forage. So your comparison is not really a comparison at all.

Don't put spin on this. I didn't say it wasn't hard. But the level of difficulty is due to being fed dog food.

Therefore, you really can't put the three in the same park. You can put the Letort and Valley in the same park but not Lititz.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 10:40

To boot, take away the dog food for 3-4 months and those long plump fish will turn into long skinny fish. Most of those big fish in there didn't get big b/c of survival of the fittest. So a trophy somewhere else isn't a trophy there IMO.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:39

From Mount Joy, PA
As far as the sculpin go, there must be some in there. I was at the Evening Rise fly shop the other week and they had a "Lititz Run sculpin" fly but I was too cheap to pay the $6 or whatever it was for the fly

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:18

From Plowville , Mohnton, area
6 bucks,,wow for a couple more bucks you could tie 25 of them,,its crazy what fly shops charge for flys,, and really,, cant we all just get along,!!!,,lol must we have a pissing contest over 2 different excellent trout streams.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 13:08

Quote:

jfetkin wrote:
6 bucks,,wow for a couple more bucks you could tie 25 of them,,its crazy what fly shops charge for flys,, and really,, cant we all just get along,!!!,,lol must we have a pissing contest over 2 different excellent trout streams.

It's not a pissing contest just some facts being stated. Also if I had a fly shop I'd charge the same. What are they supposed to do charge you what they pay in materials. Their charging you for their time spent tying. It seems like common sense to me. That is why I tie my own.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 14:01

From lancaster county
I think your over thinking this JustFish

Posted on: 2009/3/31 16:59

From Manheim, PA
I think you do over think it. Seeing as you haven't fished it yet I don't think you can acuratly assess it either.

They do eat natural food in there also. They don't just rely on pellets. They eat them when offered but it's not their sole diet. Minnows, freshwater shrimp, stoneflies, midges, BWO, sculpins, ect are all the diet for them.
Cast a midge in there when the trout on Lititz are rising to midges and see how many times they look at the fly but refuse it. Same goes for BWO's. Then watch them rise to the natural beside your fly.
Throw a scud in there when there is no surface activity but you see them feeding on the bottom and watch them ignore the fly time and time again.
They got big from pellets, but they haven't lived this long in there to be dumb. They've grown very smart over they years. I've seen and have run into the same on Valley and Letort.
Natural trophy's. No. But that's not what this discussion started on.
Compare the 3? Yes, I think I can, and I think I did and that's my opinion based on what I've experienced on the 3 streams, under the same conditions, with the same hatch going on and fish feeding on that hatch.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 17:23

From Plowville , Mohnton, area
Hey justfish,, I do tie my own, and to me it seems that you just like to dissagree with people,,lol, sal and spectorfly know that river real well and i would take there word on what they say there if i were you, especially since you never even fished it. its all good tho bro,,Justrelax

Posted on: 2009/4/1 10:53

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
Big streamers with zonker strips/rabbit fur strips should work well on Lititz Run; however, I caught a nice one on a wooly bugger the other day and could not get a hit on the big streamer. I also saw the flies at The Evening Rise and decided to spend $15-20 to tie my own rather than pay $9 for two of them.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 12:44

Valley - tricky because the fish can get really spooky with low clear water

LeTort - tricky because of tangling in all the water cress and junk on the bank

Littitz - tricky because its tight in some spots, fish eat about anything presented well

Posted on: 2009/4/17 0:52

From lancaster county
Where is lititz tight? Theres gotta be somewhere im not fishing it

Posted on: 2009/4/17 2:28

From Greensburg, PA
I wouldn't analyze it too much Sal,..most inexperienced anglers have problems under those three conditions...he'll figure it out eventually.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 8:59

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
101 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com