Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Lititz Run - Lancaster County - 24.Nov.11

From Mount Joy, PA
I had a few hours to fish on Thanksgiving, so I met up with Sal at the "Catch and Release" area of Lititz Run off Creek Road from about 2:00 on. It was a clear day which ordinarily means that fishing on this stream is tough, but the Lancaster area had received a good dose of rain the day prior. This translated into the creek being high (not blown out) and off-color, although not zero visibility.

These conditions led me to be optimistic upon arriving at the stream as I know how tough this stream usually is. It has kicked my butt for several years and short of landing a 16" brown, haven't had much luck at all. When it's at normal flow, you see the fish and they see you.

Given the stream conditions, it was a "no-brainer" to tie on an olive sculpin and see what could be enticed from the undercuts and holding areas. Given the flow, it was a foregone conclusion the fish would be holding in the slower areas just waiting for a meal to come by.

On my third cast of the day, I swung my sculpin downstream, quartered it to the bank and started to strip it upstream. Before I knew it, a large fish darted from the bank and proceeded to nail the fly with reckless abandon. The fight was rather lackluster and he was in the net in no time. Seeing how well he was hooked gave explanation as to why he didn't go far.

Much to my surprise, it was a beautiful tiger trout, which was a first for me.

Click to see original Image in a new window

My nicest fish on a fly rod to date

We worked upstream to the spring house and got into a few other fish, but the hook sets were short and none were landed. I learned a lot about fishing this stream in the few short hours I was there and it really drove home the point of "conditions, conditions, conditions"! Given the right conditions, being successful on an outing becomes that much easier.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Full, but not blown out

There was some midge activity in the afternoon as the temps warmed into the upper 50's but I didn't see any risers.

All things considered, a great trip for only having a few hours to spend. I even met up with a fellow paflyfisher at the end of my trip (Luke). It's always a pleasure to put a face with a name!

Posted on: 2011/11/26 9:02

Re: Lititz Run - Lancaster County - 24.Nov.11

From lancaster county
I did see some rising fish to midges down in the lower C&R area but it was so sparse, it would have been hard to target fish with midges.

Jeff it was good meeting up with you and fishing again as always. I wish I would have had more time, but family, turkey and Black Currant Stout was calling my name. That was an amazing fish for sure. I wish I could have gotten that huge bow the whole way in, sometimes with streamers they just dont hit the hook. Do not forget the secret I told you, it may be worth checking out but I would only do it as a side trip. The other sections are far superior. Maybe next time we go some where even better. All hail Sculpins in high water!

As a side note, here is a thought I had about this trip and this past week. I'm currently going through some serious issues on the home front and fishing time is sparse. Jeff is 100% correct, conditions, conditions and conditions are 90% of fishing. If you go when the conditions are correct you will have a seriously good trip. With my time being sparse I have decided to concentrate my time on the waters I love the most. Spring Creeks. A clear water blue bird day is rough but you fish when you can where you love. Do not ever let poor conditions stop you if you have the chance to fish.

Whats better than spending time in a place that you love?

See ya next time Jeff.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 9:38

From Southeastern Pa
I may have to go over there this afternoon.

Nice fish!

Posted on: 2011/11/26 9:55

From Clearfield
Great fish!

Posted on: 2011/11/26 10:01

From Leola, PA
Jeff,

It was good meeting you. Hope someday to have the chance to fish together in the future.

Luke

Posted on: 2011/11/26 11:19

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Nice Tiger! I want to catch one, guess I have to use more pepper on my flies.

I would like to fish Lititz one day, I keep hearing positive things about the stream.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 12:25

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Gettysburg
Nice fish!

Posted on: 2011/11/26 14:34

From Ephrata, PA
D@mn it I ALWAYS get skunked there!

Ran into Sal's brother today and we went below the Oregon Road bridge swinging some streamers. Nothing.

I originally parked at the spring house farm. Never fished there. Got 10 yards into the farm lane and like, 15 dogs came at me. Seriously.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 15:21

well written W.G.Miller.
A pleasure to read.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 15:55

From Eastern PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Nice Tiger! I want to catch one, guess I have to use more pepper on my flies.

I see what you did there and we both likely need to get a life.

Nice fish Jeff!

Posted on: 2011/11/28 0:30

From York, PA
Nice report and a beautiful fish.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 0:54

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
I'll never fish it again. First time I walked the trail at the Conservacy with the pup, an old timer was jabbing a torpedo with his wading stick. F that! Good stream work on the lower waters. Too much live stock; "I've sheep, I've got mules, I've got horses, I've got goats, Ives got geese, I've got cows......I've got allllllll live stock!"

Pissy creek with incredible stream work....

F stockies, hit the upper section. I counted 30 redds on the 23rd.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 22:47

From Mount Joy, PA
I'd hit the upper section if I could. Unfortunately the Banta property is off-limits...

Posted on: 2011/11/30 11:46

From Ephrata, PA
What is considered the "upper stretch"? On 772 around LEFC there's that little park on the right that has a sign w/ trout species and stuff on it. Anyone fish in that area?

Posted on: 2011/11/30 15:08

From Ephrata, PA
I talked to Sal about how to get into the Spring House section w/out being chased by a pack of wild farm dogs. He said, "I just park at the normal C&R section and walk all the way up. The killer sheep aren't in that field anymore."

While this is true, the sheep have never been my problem. Its the bull in the second medow that has always caused me problems. I've been chased twice by him, and trying to out run him over uneven ground in hip boots is NOT fun.

Although, I could be wearing sneakers and running on a track and I would still hate it...just 'cause its running.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 15:12

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com