Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Letort Spring Creek - Cumberland County - 07/08/2011

From Parkesburg, PA
After originally planning to fish Big Spring I arrived to see quite a few other folks already fishing. I decided I would head over to the Letort and fish from the Cumberland Valley Trout Unlimited parking lot up to the quarry from about 3:30-7:30. The temperature was about 90 degrees and it was overcast with the sun peeking through sporadically throughout the day.

While fishing I kept finding myself saying "I hate this place. Why did I come here"? The truth be told I do not hate the Letort but have the absolute and utmost respect for it. It is a tough stream to fish not just because the fish are finicky and tough to catch but also because the banks are like quicksand and you can pretty quickly find yourself scrambling to get to solid ground, easier said than done.

I fished some different terrestrial patterns such as ants, beetles and grasshoppers with no takes. I then switched to a sculpin pattern that I came up with that has been surprisingly bringing many large fish to net on the limestoners. I caught three fish in the 3 hours that I fished. One of the browns I caught swam downstream from under some brush along the banks to take the sculpin.

Another slammed it as I was shaking my rod tip to give it some action. It was about a 16 inch fish and it immediately swam underneath a weedbed. I began to move downstream of the fish so I could pull it out of the weedbed and stepped into a very muddy section of the creek. I fell and dropped the rod with the fish still on and was trying to get up, man was it difficult. I was able to get up and finally net the brown.

They say Letort fish are memorable and thats the truth. I finished fishing and walked all the way up the gravel path that runs past the quarry. I decided to walk the road back to the car. I absolutely did not want to walk along the stream to get back to the car because I was pretty tired. I should not have wandered so far from the car. Just in case anybody else gets this idea its probably a better idea to just man up and walk the stream back to the lot. It took a really long time to get back to the lot taking the road.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 8:11

Re: Letort Spring Creek - Cumberland County - 07/08/2011

From lancaster county
Quote:
I absolutely did not want to walk along the stream to get back to the car because I was pretty tired. I should not have wandered so far from the car. Just in case anybody else gets this idea its probably a better idea to just man up and walk the stream back to the lot. It took a really long time to get back to the lot taking the road.

Your not the only one to have these thoughts

3 fish in 3 hours is pretty darn good on that stream. Your report reflected how many feel about the Letort for sure. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:08

Nice report. And I agree with you...love it hate it..........so I drive over it on my way to the Yellow Breeches. Although I do slow down or stop on the bridge to look at the stream, then I remember the time I was stuck up to my waist and I snap out of it and drive on.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 17:58

From Altoona/Smoke Run
Biggie- Your avatar makes me wish it was October so badly.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 19:02

Been fishing for about 65 years and the one fish that really stands out-A large Letort brown that slashed at a hopper,beneath the wild rose that use to grow on the banks of the stream.Broke it off immediately but the memory lingers on.lol

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:18

From Parkesburg, PA
"Your not the only one to have these thoughts

3 fish in 3 hours is pretty darn good on that stream. Your report reflected how many feel about the Letort for sure. Thanks!"

Sal,

I did take some pictures but when I took a spill my camera got wet even though it was in a dry bag. I am sure that I will return for more punishment its just a matter of when.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:52

From Parkesburg, PA
"Nice report. And I agree with you...love it hate it..........so I drive over it on my way to the Yellow Breeches. Although I do slow down or stop on the bridge to look at the stream, then I remember the time I was stuck up to my waist and I snap out of it and drive on."

I like fishing the Letort because of the challenge and solitude that the stream provides. I wouldn't know where to fish the Yellow Breeches outside of Boiling Springs.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:55

Nickyboy, the YB is pretty long. Just look at a map and drive a little. Lots of open spaces outside of the special reg. area...

Posted on: 2011/8/8 21:20

@BPS ..........that's what keeps us driving 5 hrs one way.......come on Oct.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 22:05

From Gettysburg
Nickyboy,
Please check your PM.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 22:56

From lancaster county
That sucks about the camera. It happens I'm on camera #4

Your were talking about how Letort fish are memorable Nickyboy and Pete shared one. Here's a memory about a fish in the Letort of mine. Thought you might enjoy it. Got a story about a fish why not share it?

A repost:

I have had larger wild browns hooked and lost......most from the Lackawanna River. One of these dang days Ill show you guys what a non Delaware River Super Trout looks like The shear size of those fish are amazing and they are by no means pushovers.

I saw a wild brown this size in the Letort before. I was on the bank in the shade looking down at the undercut I was over. About 20 small browns at the base of that undercut. I looked up for a second and a brown that has to be WELL over 6-7lbs was slowly swimming upstream. He scared the crap out of me in that crystal clear water as he started to swim past me. I could see every detail and spot on the side of that fish. He had a kype and was very very colorful. Looked more reddish than yellow. Just as I started to puzzle together a way to catch this fish (let him swim past and get upstream, get in good position, make sure your in position to throw over the cress between you and him and cast to him soft/slow)....he saw me somehow. He darted directly at me and went under that deep undercut at lightning speed. I did not expect this and it actually kinda startled me again. Funny thing was the 20 small browns I was looking at turned into about 50 from under that undercut. They almost looked like glass that was dropped/ shattering and scattering across a marble floor outward in all directions. The bank explosion from the Tomahawk Trout Missile..........startled me again. Remembering this makes ME need a valium too. Do we have a PAflyfish Rx here? We need a large order in this thread. Ill take 2.

By far one of the coolest things I ever saw while on the stream and a memory that I will never forget. Come to think of it now, while I would have loved to land that fish.......this was better.

The mystery and memories of my failures on the Letort I cherish with all my heart.

I agree with you. I hate the stream like most fisherman because it is a bear to fish, impossible to approach, no stream-bank sinking, clear water, watercress and tall weed maze he** with the spookiest fish in the world. I also love it because its a bear to fish, impossible to approach...........

Posted on: 2011/8/9 1:35

From Chester County
Great Letort stories.

On a decent day sometime during the long winter, I usually call FishIdiot to guide me on the Letort (and most times we hit BS too). The water temp is in the 50's, the streamside weeds are down and the bank is frozen. Great time to fish; especially on a cloudy day.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 7:40

From lancaster county
afish

All my DD days on the letort have come on days just like those and I don't have many.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 7:45

From Parkesburg, PA
There are some monsters in the Letort. I stepped on a fallen tree limb that was laying in the stream and there must have been a 4-5 pound brown with a kype jaw that literally swam on top of water because the movement of the tree limb startled it. Thats when I told myself that the Letort is the real deal.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 7:57

From Gettysburg
My favorite Letort fish story:

I started fishing Letort in the early 1980s and, on a beautiful, blue sky day in June 1985 I was throwing a streamer just down from I81 above Fox's Meadow. In a small but deep hole (long since gone) an enormous rainbow rose to the surface and gently inhaled my fly. This fish was in the 25" range and very heavy with stunning colors. I missed the strike and sent my fly up into the trees. After a few shakes, I pulled it loose and sent it back. The big bow followed it several more times but wouldn't bite. I walked downstream and Charlie Fox was out at his benches and we chatted and I told him about the big bow. He was surprised and said the PFBC had just shocked the stream and got no rainbows in that area. Anyway, I determined to catch that fish and returned several times that summer but never saw it again.

Postscript. I'm currently studying old PFBC electrofishing surveys of Letort for a research project and am interested in looking for big rainbows. Letort was stocked with rainbows back in those days by the Army War College and my guess is this may have been a holdover stocked fish. By 1987, however, the PFBC had concluded that wild rainbows were established in upper Letort and more recent studies continue to bear this out. I'll always remember that fish - stands out in my mind like yesterday.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 9:02

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
82 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com