Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Lehigh River, Carbon County, 4/1/ 2012

From PA and NH
I see two distinct types of browns on the Lehigh. The least common has that olive color and irregular sparse spotting. The most common and I think introduced type are less olive , more silvery and almost scaly? type that I see probably 10 to 1 compared to the olive type. Now the stocked ones have gone wild in every way and actually fight a bit harder than those I think are streambred. The first I would say is wild and the second introduced but being an electrician and not a fisheries biologist I could very well be full of poo. and happy about it.

Attach file:

jpg  troot.jpg (157.06 KB)
3094_4f7b7693bc640.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  brown.jpg (137.54 KB)
3094_4f7b76ca6e62d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:18

From Gettysburg
Wow!
The Lehigh has got some mighty fine lookin browns these days.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:09

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Thickest caddis hatch I have ever seen today. Fish did not turn on till dusk. Try to post video later.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:37

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

All brown trout originated from either the loch leven or vob behr strain. The true loch strain is silvery with black spots while the Von behr is More brightly colored - similar to the differenes in each photo. While it is highly unlikely either of those browns are pure strains, the difference in coloration is possibly due to one strain of gene being the dominant gene in that particular fish.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:50

This went for 3 hours with only a couple sporadic rises, until dusk. It then became a mad house with fish.

O and I had a cigar in my mouth, so sorry for any slurred speech. I swear I was not drunk! BTW, someone tell my friend how to dress.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 22:49

From Delaware County
I like my damn orange jacket ok! I had a great day buddy.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 0:47

Len

From Lehigh Valley
This is crazy, yes, with the mild winter the swarm of insects will make at least some people happy!

Posted on: 2012/4/4 0:48

From PA and NH
They're gorging themselves on pupae, your legs were probably covered with a crawling mass of bugs.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 7:30

Can you describe the caddis? Size? Body color?

Posted on: 2012/4/4 7:54

Last summer was kind to the trout in the river. Lots of rain and the river stayed cool, for the most part of the summer.

The numbers of trout that are being seen in the river this year is a direct result of being able to keep the river cool with a good flow. The trout will respond accordingly. River levels are perfect right now for surface activity, so that helps too.

Shane - wouldn't it be nice to have it this way every year??? It is possible you know.

That vid is amazing for the amount of bugs. I've seen days like that in the past during those caddis hatches. Were those the grannom caddis (black body) or the green body?

BH - that first trout pictured with limited spotting is most likely a wild or fingerling grown up. The 2nd, larger more spotted, brown is likely a holdover stocked fish, but is a solid fish.

Regardless...both are nice fish to catch in a large trout river.

With all these fishys being caught, I hope people will fill out the surveys. http://www.thelehighriver.org/survey.php

Last year anglers participation was very poor, however that was likely due to river levels being almost unfishable the entire summer.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 9:27

Quote:

LehighRegular wrote:
Last summer was kind to the trout in the river.

Last year anglers participation was very poor

Maybe there are more trout IN the river now because less were taken OUT last year than usual?

Posted on: 2012/4/4 9:46

From West Chester PA
Hey Becker, I was one of the 2 guys you saw while you filmed this. Ditto on the caddis hatch. It was unreal only to be outdone by a few white fly hatches I have seen on the Susky. My guess is they are gorged on what is underneath.

I played with the rising fish below you until he finally stopped and I could not see. Did catch one big brown earlier in the fast water on a Hendrickson.

By the way, we have a bet. Did you fall in over your waders or not?

Posted on: 2012/4/4 9:58

Quote:
Maybe there are more trout IN the river now because less were taken OUT last year than usual

Troutbert

Very possible...but I think it might have to do more with water temps then creeling. Big river and its hard to "fish it out".

When the water stays cool the trout won't concentrate at the tribs/springs. Then the locals can't hammer on them and fill up their coolers.

But it doesnt hurt the trout numbers if people can't catch and kill them.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 10:12

Quote:

AugustWest wrote:
Hey Becker, I was one of the 2 guys you saw while you filmed this. Ditto on the caddis hatch. It was unreal only to be outdone by a few white fly hatches I have seen on the Susky. My guess is they are gorged on what is underneath.

I played with the rising fish below you until he finally stopped and I could not see. Did catch one big brown earlier in the fast water on a Hendrickson.

By the way, we have a bet. Did you ,fall in over your waders or not?

I would not describe it as a fall. More of a gradual slide that I could not stop, till I began to float. . There were some real beasts on top. Those fish were like a whales swimming across the top of the water with their mouths open. Taking in all of the insects that floated near them.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:21

There were three different kinds of caddis hatching, possibly four. Green, cinnamon, tan, and black body. I saw more green bodied below Palmerton. I then moved up river and saw black and tan and cinnamon. All different sized caddis as well. This is why we had such a hard time picking up fish. So many different kinds and sizes on the water all at once. Throw in spent caddis, hendericksons, and spinners. Just impossible to determine what exactly they wanted. Wt tried everything.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com