Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gunpowder, Baltimore Co, MD 5/19/2013

From Bel Air, MD
Fished the sulphurs this evening - counting gearing up, walking in and out, was there for about 2 1/2 hours. Landed 7, LDR'd 2, missed 5 or 6. Most fish caught swinging soft hackles - partridge and yellow, and gold ribbed hares hear.

The water started boiling just like its always does right at dusk, but these eyes are getting too old for this stuff! Wanted to switch to a dry, but waited too long and couldn't see enough to make the switch, so I caught one more on the soft hackle. If I wear my contacts, the readers just don't do enought - if I wear my glasses I can see perfectly to tie flies, but can't see the damn fly!

All in all, a pleasant evening. Fished Masemore Road downstream.

edit: Conditions - air temp 67, water temp 59, cloudy and overcast

Posted on: 2013/5/19 22:21

Edited by BelAirSteve on 2013/5/19 23:17:54

Re: Gunpowder, Baltimore Co, MD 5/19/2013

I was at Gunpowder this morning trying to get some strikes on nymphs with little success. Is there some standard patterns that consistently work well at Gunpowder? The one's I used today did not get much interest.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 19:42

From Bel Air, MD
Curious...what did you use?

For me, smaller pheasant tails in traditional and olive, 16 and 18, and gold ribbed hares ears. If it is your style, soft hackles always seem to take fish on the Gunpowder - add a soft hackle to any of the above, or traditional partridge & orange, partridge & green, partridge & yellow. Since I started fishing soft hackles, gold ribbed hares ear soft hackle in 14 or 16 have caught me more fish than I can count.

For what its worth, I have never had much luck with any kind of caddis pupa on the Gunpowder. Midges and brassies work well.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 21:42

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Back in 2005 my FF mentor built a homemade strain out of a window screen. He placed the screen in a small gravel riffle and I scooted my feet across the bottom from above. The amount of midge larvae was astonishing to say the least. Hence my avatar name....

A fantastic set up for the gun is a tandem zebra midge size 20 or smaller. 24-28 is ideal if you can thread the eyes of the hook. Dark colors and white work best.

Black caddis larvae are devastating from March through December.

Fish one hook size smaller when fishing a hatch.

Move slow!

Posted on: 2013/6/15 22:47

From Virginia/SWPA
Red san Juan consistently catches fish for mr at the GP. Speaking of homemade dip nets go to lowes an buy a 5 gallon bucket paint strainer. $4 for 2. The fit right over your net

Posted on: 2013/6/16 10:30

~Irish proverb~

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com