Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Fishing Creek, CLinton County, 11/13/08

Fished the trophy trout waters near Lamar on my way back to the arm pit of the earth that is New Jersey. Water was low and gin clear. Did'nt have much time to fish but landed one small brown that was brillantly colored in the narrows section of the stream on a #18 pheasant tail. Such a great looking section of the stream. I know this stream holds alot of large fish however they never seem to come easy! When living in State College I fished this stream many of times and found it to be one of the most challenging streams in the area! Any one out there with a little Fishing Creek insight?

Posted on: 2008/11/14 11:39

Re: Fishing Creek, CLinton County, 11/13/08
From Gettysburg
Stoned,
I too am a former happy valley student who used to fish BFC back in the day. These days I much prefer Spring Creek and usually fish it when in the Centre Co area. I get to BFC once or twice a year and, like you, have struggled to catch fish on this stream, esp large ones. I suspect some of the reputation of this stream for producing big fish is a bit overrated - admittedly, there have been some whoppers over the years: Humphrys' (former) record brown and the recent brook trout record awhile back. I think these fish were hatchery giants - as far as wild fish I consider a 14" brown or 10" brookie a very good fish from this stream. Perhaps there will be some postings from fellows who know this water better than I. I don't know any tricks for this stream - it has always been hot or cold for me and when cold, I can't buy a strike. I think it is just one of those waters - this is really part of its charm and attraction - that is completely mysterious.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 12:05

From Monessen, PA
I think low and clear conditions are not when you want to be in search of large wild brown trouts on Fishing Creek. It is my favorite stream to fish when at the Jamboree, though I can't say I do well on it.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 12:09

From Lewistown
Fish populations have declined in recent years, but the numbers are making a come back.

I wish I could lend some tips, but in years of fishing it (some years 2 times per week) the narrows always is difficult. However, the payoff is some of teh most georgeous fish in the state.

I have caught a couple fish in the 18" range, and have witnessed others landing fish in the 2 foot range. winter is a great time to fish this stream, a lot of the big fish are lurking around, gobbling up food.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 12:43

From Chester County
I too am a BFC fan. I one of my favorite stream in PA. Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to fish it that much in the last few years since a now live in SEPA. Jack is right; being low and clear makes it a little tougher.

I've caught a lot of fish and some really nice fish up to 20". I don't have a secret fly or method, although LaFountaine ESP’s & DSP’s work like magic just before and during the caddis hatch. Try hitting it during the grannom hatch in mid to late April, or fish a Rhyacophila larva fly (green sedge) in the fast water, that can really make your day.

I witnessed on more than one occasion, over a hundred trout rising within my sight during different hatches on BFC. I've had some bad days, but when the water is in good shape and a hatch is on, I can't think of many streams in PA that I would like to be fishing more than BFC. I can't say that it's usually easy fishing, but that's the way I like it. The fish are there, and I always say, if I don’t catch ‘em, it’s my fault….not the fishes' or the stream.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 15:51

From Pgh
I've fished it for 25 years and believe that its reputation as a big fish stream has largely been manufactured.

Joe Humphrey caught his record brown trout there back in the 70's... which was a hatchery escapee.

The state record brook trout caught from there in the 90's was also from the runways.

I've caught fish over 20 inches there, once during a drake hatch, but have caught many, many more -- and larger -- from Spring, Little J and the Yough.

There are a lot of fish for sure, a few big ones no doubt. But they are very difficult to catch most of the time, probably due to water conditions and the fact it gets a lot of pressure through the narrows.

BUT ALL THAT BEING SAID, there's something about Big Fishing that is haunting. When I close my eyes and dream about a place where the trout are wild, the water cool, the ground moss-covered, and the air tinged with the scent of decaying Hemlock... I always find myself at Big Fishing Creek.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 17:04

From Pittsburgh
IMO - the best time to hit Fishing Creek is the last 2 weeks in april
The blue quill and grannom hatches are really something else, along with quill gordon and hendricksons.
I also wouldn't call it a big fish stream - I can't recall catching anything over 15" there - even during the green drake hatch

Posted on: 2008/11/14 21:12

From Enola, Pa.
I've caught some of the prettiest fish, I ever caught on BFC. I've never had a lot of luck being there when the heavy hatches are coming off, bad timing. I did fish a nice Caddis hatch and the GD once. I've had most of my luck with terrestrails.

I have caught three fish in the 18 to 20 inch range, but never a lot of big fish, but they are beautiful. One time when Pad and I was there, I caught the prettiest brokie I've ever caught,in my life and it was a good size. I think he gave me a pic of it, but it's been a long time.

I've always wanted to learn more about the fishing below the narrows. I've fished down there once, didn't know where to go, just pulled off and fished, did catch one nice brown!

Posted on: 2008/11/15 10:27

From LV
FISHING CREEK in Lamar is one of my favorites, and I've done well there over the years whenever I hit a hatch. I have never done well there during the winter and unless I had someone with me during the winter won't fish it then. From March to November it is a very good stream, and I've caught my share of big fish there, it is the only place I ever had a fish bend a hook on me.
Why do people insist on calling this stream big Fishing Creek, I've never seen it listed on maps that way, the only Big Fishing Creek I've seen on a map is in Columbia County.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 15:51

I was in the area today (Saturday) running some errands, so stopped by to look at the Fishing Cr in the Narrows. I was shocked how LOW it was. Especially for this time of year. Lots of rocks showing. Maybe we'll get some rain soon that will fix that.

I nice bonus about FC is that there are still some native brookies mixed in with the browns. I've caught some up to 12 inches in past years. The biggest I've caught in recent years has been 11 inches.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 21:10

From Lock Haven, PA
Haha I so love this thread...the conditions are horrible right now and have been most of the late summer/fall with the very very low water. Doesn't mean you can't catch big fish though. They are in Fishing Creek and thats where all my big browns come from but I fish it probably 50 times a year though.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 21:54

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
FISHING CREEK in Lamar is one of my favorites, and I've done well there over the years whenever I hit a hatch. I have never done well there during the winter and unless I had someone with me during the winter won't fish it then. From March to November it is a very good stream, and I've caught my share of big fish there, it is the only place I ever had a fish bend a hook on me.
Why do people insist on calling this stream big Fishing Creek, I've never seen it listed on maps that way, the only Big Fishing Creek I've seen on a map is in Columbia County.

Chaz

I always wondered that myself, big fishing creek to me is has always been Columbia!

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/11/16 9:37

I'm pretty sure that the USGS name of both of those streams is just: Fishing Creek. That's how they are shown on the DeLorme Atlas.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 10:16

From Pittsburgh
I think that it's called big fishing creek to distinguish it from another fishing creek in the area called little fishing creek

Posted on: 2008/11/16 11:57

From Gettysburg
I agree that the correct name is simply Fishing Creek - and readily admit to being one of those who add the incorrect "big" prefix. The widespread use of "Big Fishing Creek" can likely be explained by the presence, also in Clinton Co, of Little Fishing Creek. Local fishermen, in casual conversation, get in the habit of using "big" to distinguish waterways. The name Fishing Creek is very common (we have one near me in Maryland too) and this habit is understandable. This is common with other creeks that have the same names and and are geographically close - they simply come to be referred as Big and Little.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 12:03

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com