Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Falling Springs Branch, Franklin County, 9/8/2013

From Hunker
9-8-13. What a fantastic day on falling springs. After fishing up at big spring ( which il post later) I thought I'd finish the day at FSB and I'm glad I did. Alot of the banks were covered in high grass and alot of bees so I tryed to avoid getting stung. However the grass did help increase my odds as I stealthily moved along the banks. I opted for my Orvis Hydro 9ft for the reach. I tied on my new 4x streamer leader with my olive/black sculpin and started in town. I worked my way downstream and was able to get 3 browns which were all about the same of about 12-13 inches, while also missing about 4 of them. As I got down near the hospital I came up to a bridge where the water is swift and deep and even with polarized glasses is hard to see into. I tossed my sculpin threw a few times and had a quick strike but not a firm take. As I got to the end of the pool and was waking back up I saw it... A monster 20-21 inch Rainbow or Brown ( I think rainbow) sitting on the bottom of the long pool. I didn't see it on my way down cause I was fishing the water, not the fish. A made a movement with my fly rod and it swam hurriedly into log walls. Next time il be prepared, and maybe get him. After that episode I was off to the heritage section at Greenway. My favorite fly for this area is the olive wholly bugger and today it didn't let me down...again... I worked downstream with my 9' rod and kept my distance. I hooked into 2 little rainbows in a nice weed channel that I knew held a few trout. Both around 6-7 inches. I then went up to the water wheel bridge and tossed my bugger gently under the bridge, I was quickly rewarded with a plump 12 inch rainbow that was beautiful. My next stop was Edwads Ave and I planned to throw nothing but a Letort Hopper size 14. I slowly waded upstream and astonishingly was able to hook into 2 more rainbows of about 8-10 inches. My last stop was quarry lane, and as I took a glance at the stream, a big beautifully colored brown went swimming by spooked by my presence. I went upstream looking for a good fish but only saw just a few little ones. A few yards past the barbed fence I'd when I saw it... The second falling springs monster within 2 hours. This one was deff a brown... A really really big brown. He was at the tail of the pool where he just stayed there.. Menacingly.. His size was so big that I called my wife to tell her to get the camera ready for she was just a stone throw away taking pictures. Of course he was in a extremely difficult position but I had a 3-4 ft window that had to be dead nuts on or tree limb. Luckily I didn't get no tree, nor did I get the brown... I threw cress bugs, scuds, white/olive buggers, PT nymphs, Hoppers, Beeltes, and midge nymphs, And a crawdad, but he just didn't move. Before I started casting my first pattern which was the hopper, I studied him for a good 10 minutes, but he wasn't feeding. If I had to make a honest guess, is say he was about 24 inches and probably 4-6lbs. A real trophy. But,, if you would catch every fish it wouldn't be that fun so maybe next time.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 1:11

Edited by JackM on 2013/9/11 7:11:05

Re: Falling Springs Branch, Franklin county

From cambria county
nice report. Those are the kind of trips that keep you coming back. i've never fished fsb or bs, but have fished upper letort. i cant think of much that would make it more difficult. ill be back though.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 6:24

Re: Falling Springs Branch, Franklin County, 9/8/2013

From Eastern PA
what length rod did you use?

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:31

Re: Falling Springs Branch, Franklin County, 9/8/2013

From Hunker
9' Orvis hydro 5 weight, usually use my 7' 4weight, but I left it at home being that my hydro just got out of the workshop and I love casting it.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 20:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com