Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

East Branch Delaware/Beaverkill River, Sullivan County, NY, 9/13/13

Got a new job, quit the old one, had some time and made the drive to the Catskills. Considering the rain we got, I went with the intent to poke around some old spots I used to fish when I was younger.

First up, at 7am, I hit fisherman's lane on the beaverkill, above junction pool. It's got great pocket water and interesting holes and structure on the sides, but it used to, half a mile up from the lot, have a really dynamic, windy stretch around two island, complete with one of the nicest holes I've ever come across. It's all gone, islands an all, just plowed through and straightened by the river. Really sad, but it makes me wonder what new obstacles may arise elsewhere. That transformation is a two way street. Anyhow, picked up a nice, ten inch wild brown on a caddis pupa and then quit that spot.

Headed over to the EB, scoped out a spot that once taught me a great lesson. Tell you what, in not normally this candid, but it was those islands above jaws. I feel funny speaking specifically about a spot on the Internet, but navigating it on foot is a real son of a bitch, so get yours if you're feeling masochistic. It's a beautiful spot, but the runs that look real nice from the roadway are really shallow, basically making half of the visible water unfishable. There's one substantial run in the middle, but to fish it right you have to really work hard for position. There's another run on the farthest side that's interesting, but it's too demanding to reach for what it is.

So, I went beneath jaws and immediately hit a bow in a riffle and then the rains came again and the fishing shut down to my surprise. I walked a lot and figured out some new approaches to some older spots, which is always rewarding... Until the river swells and blows that spot away. Then, at the end, I switched out the regular line for the old sinking line and nailed a bastard on a streamer I tried to submit for a contest but was rejected for because it strayed a little too much from a woolly bugger, so that ruled, haha.

No rises. Period. I left at around five as cahills began to fill up the air, but I was wiped as had to pull myself up the slope my car was parked on top of.

It's funny, my fishing pal ripped me off last year ad I told him to #censor# off, so now I fish alone.... But I've never consistently caught so many big fish up there until now. Classic double edged sword of life, I guess.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 12:04

Re: East Branch Delaware/Beaverkill River, Sullivan County, NY, 9/13/13

From Dauphin PA
Interesting report. With the recently cooler temps, the fish should be getting back on the feed. I'm surprised that you didn't see more bugs. Caddis, olives, Autumn sedge and hebes should be starting to shoe in good numbers. The jaws holds a lot of fish and it's always a decent choice. If you were a few hundreds yards above the Sunoco, it sucks walking around up there.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 18:41

From Eastern PA
Quote:

DavidFin wrote:
It's funny, my fishing pal ripped me off last year ad I told him to #censor# off, so now I fish alone.... But I've never consistently caught so many big fish up there until now. Classic double edged sword of life, I guess.

yeah, hell yeah interesting report.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:03

From Cato, NY
very interesting report.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 8:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com