Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Dunbar Creek - Fayette County - 8/27/2006
From Monessen, PA
Quote:
salf2
Re: Dunbar explosion? #12

Mr. Sarcasm here
boy that really sounds like a peaceful tranquil place to spend the day fishing worrying about death from noxious fumes and hell bent atv riders shooting you in the arse and stealing your gear! 100 fish is small deep hole can anybody say fish in a barrell?

S2

Posted on: 2006/8/31 17:38

Quote:
ryanh
Re: Dunbar explosion? #11

From a public health standpoint that is a troubling possibility. I did not detect a Cl smell, but more of a sulphur smell. At the very least this is a driving hazard. If this is something that occurs on a regular baisis, it should then be clearly posted in the general vicinity.

Posted on: 2006/8/30 11:01

Quote:
JamesD
Re: Dunbar explosion? #10

ryanh,

I too have experienced the vapor cloud on more than one occasion in the low lying stretch of paved roadway near the downstream start of the project waters. From my experience as a hazmat technician, I believe it is a chlorine based product used in the mining operation up the mountain. Chlorine as a gas is 2.5 times heavier that air - hence, it rolls down the mountain to a low point. It also has a greenish/yellow color, which was what I observed.

It is somewhat diluted by the time it reaches the roadbed, otherwise its properties as a posion would have caused more than one accident - severe irritation to the eyes & respiratory system. It is also very corrosive to metals other than brass when in high concentrations.

JamesD.

Posted on: 2006/8/30 7:34

Quote:
sandfly
Re: Dunbar explosion? #9
some people are very protective of their areas, why not ??
N.J.B.B.A.#2215
www.astrosafari.com
"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job."

Posted on: 2006/8/30 5:07

Quote:
Chaz
Re: Dunbar explosion? #8

A guy at work was telling me that he went with a friend to that SGL, and his friend told him that the folks down there consider that land theirs.

Posted on: 2006/8/29 14:49

Quote:
snerd
Re: Dunbar explosion? #7

Try terrestrials like big black ants. Or beetles. Or green inchworms. I think that will catch some fish.

Not sure if that will help with the explosions, masked ATV riders, car vandalizers, knife displayers, drug plantations etc., though.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 18:48

Quote:
ryanh
Re: Dunbar explosion? #6

DFG,
Yes and no about the micro flies. I didn't really count that as fishing. I mean the fish were confined to a small area, there had to be over 100 of them, and there wasn't any current. I would have been hard pressed to fish that fly if it would have been in moving water. But it is a start for me I guess...

Posted on: 2006/8/28 16:58

Quote:
snerd
Re: Dunbar explosion? #5

All the fishermen who have run into problems there, been harassed, seen illegal activity etc., should get together, compile all these accounts, and send a letter to the proper authorities, describing what goes on out there, and asking that law and order be returned to this area.

Send it to everyone you can think of: Game Commission, Fish Commission, state police, state legislators, governors office, the drug czars in Washington DC, if the "cash crop" rumors are true, FBI, the major newspapers, etc.

You could organize via the Internet. You could create a name for your group, even it it's an informally organized group.

There's a lot of law enforcement people in PA and the nation and it looks like they've got some work to do in the Dunbar area. The role of the citizens is to make sure that they know about the problem.

Quote:
Chaz
Re: Dunbar explosion? #4

When I went there during the spring I saw something similar, the smoke was on the yellow side, I though it was from mining, maybe dust from a truck full of waste, it had a smell but not like smoke.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:30

Quote:
schrec
Re: Dunbar explosion? #3

I've seen blasting caps along barren stretches -- in terms of trout -- of that stream before. It's sickening. But then, they have to protect their cash crop somehow.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:05

Quote:
dryflyguy
Re: Dunbar explosion? #2

Ryan,

I remember your post a short while ago asking if tiny flies were really necessary - I'm sure you got the answer now after fishing that low clear water.
As for the explosion - who knows - anything is possible in that area.
I had my car broken into twice while it was parked just outside Connellsville

Posted on: 2006/8/28 9:56

Quote:
ryanh
Dunbar explosion? #1

Fished Dunbar on Sunday. Water was quite low. Fish limeted to pools, jackdams. Caught a brook and a brown, missed a few. They would inspect everything that I threw, but would only take micro patterns. Fish seemed to be in good condition. Were actively surface feeding on midges.

More interestingly on the way out by the Dunbar mine I drove through what I first thought to be fog. It turned out to be smoke, with an explosive smell to it (sulphur) It reminded me of an army smoke grenade. I had 0 visibility for about a 1/2 mile. I did not hear any detonations, so I have no idea what it could have been. It is entirely possible that one of the Fayettecong got ahold of, and did set off a smoke grenade. NOTHING OUT THERE WOULD SURPRISE ME!!

Posted on: 2006/8/28 6:53

Posted on: 2006/9/10 8:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com