Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Donegal Creek FFO Lanc Co 5/14/14

Fished the C&R section today for about an hour between turkey hunting and doing some chores and the stream looks great. I only managed two, both browns, on a BHPT nymph. Very little in hatch activity and no risers. The bigger brown was only about 10" and considering they haven't stocked browns in 3 years (i think) I'm assuming it is stream bred - it certainly looked it. It had some of the largest and brightest red spots I've ever seen on a brown. After bringing it to hand and seeing the color I tried to get a pic but in my screwing around it let itself off hook. I'll be there more often this year considering all the fished I spooked by being hasty.

Posted on: 5/14 17:56

Re: Donegal Creek FFO Lanc Co 5/14/14

From Mount Joy, PA
All the browns in there are streambred. Rainbows (for the most part) are stockers.

Posted on: 5/25 21:35

From Mountville
I hit up the Donegal several times in April and each time I have only been able to manage 1 or 2 fish. I even fished it during an early sulfur hatch, probably the first of the year on that stream, and still no risers. I have to agree that the stream does look a lot better than I have ever seen it with flows being up and only slightly stained. I have decided to put this stream on the back burner until about mid June when water temps area up. I have had the most success when fish are activley rising. When things are not just right you would swear that there are no fish in the stream.

Posted on: 5/26 21:08

From Mount Joy, PA
White. Wooly. Bugger.

Posted on: 5/27 12:12

Ya ditto that...my go to fly on that steam when nothing is happening. All my best fish on donegal came to hand with a bh white bugger as well

Posted on: 5/27 23:40

I fished it last evening. There was not much top action but I had to leave a little after seven. As I was walking out the sulphurs started coming off in pretty decent numbers.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Para-ants, green weenies, and white woolly buggers (I took the tip, guys... it's not something I fish a lot, thanks) produced for me. The ants were the hottest fly of the evening. They fooled the fish regularly but I had to change flies after each hook up as the sparsely hackled, dubbed body ants would not float after spending a little time under water. I just finished tying up half a dozen foam bodied versions for my next trip out.

A couple of the fish:

This is the first time I fished it this year and I have a question. Last year, IIRC, the property with the red barn/shed on Donegal Creek Rd was for sale. When I drove past, there seemed to be quite a few changes and I assume it has changed owners. Is it still ok to park at that location? I didn't see any signs forbidding it and I assume that, with the history of fishermen parking there, they would have posted it if they didn't want people parking there. I parked on 772 and walked down to be on the safe side.

Posted on: 6/2 22:41

From Wrightsville
Beautiful fish ROVERT. Not easy an easy creek to fish. I'm not sure about the parking issue. I don't typically park there.

Don't mean to take over a post, but anyone know what's going on where it meets Chiques?

Seemed like a good place to ask this question.

New bridge below 441? New parking area? Power company building something they'll tear down later?

Posted on: 6/3 0:11

From Lancaster County
Rail/Trail bridge is being built below 441. Recreational use. Has nothing to do with power/energy companies.

Parking at Red Barn is sketchy. Do not park on the side of the lane towards the red barn and do not park in front of the red barn as may have been the case in the past. The lane itself is owned by the person who lives in the house that overlooks the stream, and he has been friendly to fisherpeople in the past. The owner of the red barn may try to run you off from parking on the left side of the lane, but I don't think he has any right to do that, as it's not his land. He told a person I know that she could not park there, then made up a story about how a cable guy was coming to do some work. All in all, it's not a happy access situation. Although the right to access the stream is probably secure, it's just not good when an adjacent landowner makes life difficult for anglers. And it only takes one angler who decides to retaliate in someway to cause additional issues. Some of the DFCA members might be able to weigh in with some updated info about landowner relations. They are aware of the situation and working on it.

Posted on: 6/3 12:15

From Marietta, PA
You may park on the left hand side of the lane when facing the red barn as long as you are not blocking the lane. There is a spot right at the start of the lane. The adjacent farmer owns that and has stated very recently that people accessing the stream are allowed to park there. Just don't park anywhere on the right hand side of the lane or in front of the barn. Also, don't block the lane.

I have noticed recently that the owner of the red barn sometimes parks his vehicles on the left hand side now that he know he doesn't own it.

Posted on: 6/3 12:23

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Posted on: 6/3 20:33

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:

Parking at Red Barn is sketchy. Do not park on the side of the lane towards the red barn and do not park in front of the red barn as may have been the case in the past. The lane itself is owned by the person who lives in the house that overlooks the stream, and he has been friendly to fisherpeople in the past. The owner of the red barn may try to run you off from parking on the left side of the lane, but I don't think he has any right to do that, as it's not his land. He told a person I know that she could not park there, then made up a story about how a cable guy was coming to do some work. All in all, it's not a happy access situation. Although the right to access the stream is probably secure, it's just not good when an adjacent landowner makes life difficult for anglers. And it only takes one angler who decides to retaliate in someway to cause additional issues. Some of the DFCA members might be able to weigh in with some updated info about landowner relations. They are aware of the situation and working on it.

Yeah, it's a crappy situation. The jerkoff who bought the red horse barn will play games by parking on the left side of the lane, just in an attempt to keep the fisherfolk from parking there. His land is just the barn and on that side of the lane (old meadow, etc.). The lane leading back to John's house and the lane going down to the old quarry are a "right-of-way", so don't let him tell you otherwise...

Posted on: 6/4 15:48

From lancaster county
If I know or see him doing that, I'll park uncomfortably close to his car with my boat

Posted on: 6/4 18:41

Biggest wild browns seen there so far during surveys have been 16-17 inches. The few first years stocking of fin-clipped fingerling RT are now around 14-15 inches long and very sparsely distributed. Forage fish are now abundant, as they should be, and the browns are quite robust.

Posted on: 7/3 22:24

Survival of fingerling stocked trout has twice been about 20 percent from October to early July.

Posted on: 7/5 7:29

From Lancaster, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Biggest wild browns seen there so far during surveys have been 16-17 inches. The few first years stocking of fin-clipped fingerling RT are now around 14-15 inches long and very sparsely distributed. Forage fish are now abundant, as they should be, and the browns are quite robust.

Mike,

I've caught those big 14-15" rainbows as far upstream as Trout Run Road, so they move around. I haven't fished further upstream than that. I don't catch as many browns there but I have hooked into a large one in the 16-17" range and lost him when my line broke. I've seen my nephew catch a nice 14" one.

The browns are doing well even in the stocked section--it seems as if the "bucket brigade" crowd mostly catches the rainbows.

I haven't fished the Donegal since earlier this spring as I've been focused on waters that are harder to fish in colder weather. The Donegal I can fish even in the dead of winter. I need to get back out there when its too hot elsewhere.

Jeff

Posted on: 7/5 8:54

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com