Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Donegal Creek, Lancaster county, 3-17-2013

From Lewistown, PA
I was on the FFO section of the donegal for about three hours from 1 to 4 pm on the 17th. I'm officially calling it spring, because I was catching fish on dry flies!

There were some larger midges on the water - about a size 22 or 24 rather than the size 28 or so that were there for most of the winter, and I saw quite a few fish rising. I caught one 7 inch rainbow on a size 14 Adams. Then tried nymphing for a while, but was unsuccessful. Switched to a size 20 parachute Adams, and caught 2 more rainbows, and a brightly colored brown trout around 8 inches long. Water was low and clear, and my thermometer said the water was about 48 degrees.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 9:57

Re: Donegal Creek, Lancaster county, 3-17-2013

From Mount Joy, PA
Those rainbows aren't real educated yet when it comes to topwater action, so they're susceptible to a wide selection of flies. They were just stocked in the fall, so once they get a season of hatches under their belt, they become tougher. There aren't a lot of good hatches on the Donegal anymore, but midges and BWO's are always a sure bet. You can also get some good action with a caddis pattern or sulphur pattern in early summer.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 19:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com