Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Donegal Creek, Lancaster Co, 12/1/12

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I wish the Pa FBC would talk more about its efforts to reduce poaching. From my perspective it seems like little or nothing is being done. We have all seen it; at times even reported it but follow up investigation never occurs . Many times these cases are dismissed when they reach the magistrate.

Is poaching really a problem or is it something we exaggerate? I know its impossible to be at every creek all the time, but when a special effort is being made to establish or to reestablish a fishery one would think more of a law enforcement presence would be provided.

Would it be wrong or illegal to create a Megan's law like website of the worse poachers? I think these people need to be identified and made known to the angling public.

And don't get me started on how trout fishermen have been funding the lion's share of the recovery effort for the blue heron :)

Quote:

I certainly hope the fingerling stockings are successful. The Donegal has a lot of potential, but IMO is hit hard by poachers. In fact, right after this year's spring stocking, I "caught" two bait guys taking out 6 just stocked 'bows. I told them they were in a catch-and-release area. They replied that they didn't know. Right, it's only posted every 20-30 yards or so. Also, I agree that the Blue Herons are a problem. I see at least one per visit ( I try to fish the Donegal 2-3 times a month)

Posted on: 2013/1/2 7:48

From Lewistown, PA
I've been trying to learn some nymphing techniques while fishing the donegal this winter. Had some success - on a good day I'll catch 3-5 trout there. Never 17 though! The only technique that seems to work for me in indicator nymphing. I'm generally using a scud pattern, or a "Czech mate" - the little rainbows on the donegal seem to love that pattern. I'm generally using a pretty long leader to keep from spooking the fish - it ends up being about 10 to 12 feet depending on how much tippet I add.

I have no idea how I would fish the rig you described - wooly bugger with a trailing nymph. Do you just cast it and dead drift? Or do you strip it in? What does your leader look like for that rig? How do you detect strikes? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 13:45

From Parkesburg
Blue herons are definitely a problem on many of the streams I fish.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 18:31

From Marietta, PA
Another problem on the Donegal are the moo-moo cows. Damn things always seem to take a leak right beside me while I'm wading :) The smell of cow urine leaves much to be desired....

Posted on: 2013/1/8 19:32

From Da 'Berg, PA
re the poaching. no need to confront them if they look shady, take a photo of any parked cars in the area and send a list of the registrations to the PFBC and ask them to send a letter to the owners reminding them of the regs.

if these people know they're going to be watched and reported it will stop them i think.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 18:21

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

jeremymcon wrote:
I've been trying to learn some nymphing techniques while fishing the donegal this winter. Had some success - on a good day I'll catch 3-5 trout there. Never 17 though! The only technique that seems to work for me in indicator nymphing. I'm generally using a scud pattern, or a "Czech mate" - the little rainbows on the donegal seem to love that pattern. I'm generally using a pretty long leader to keep from spooking the fish - it ends up being about 10 to 12 feet depending on how much tippet I add.

I have no idea how I would fish the rig you described - wooly bugger with a trailing nymph. Do you just cast it and dead drift? Or do you strip it in? What does your leader look like for that rig? How do you detect strikes? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to use a leader this long on the Donegal, even for the streambred fish. You can just match your leader to your rod length and you'll be fine. It won't hurt anything to go long, but you're wasting a lot of tippet in doing so. This stream just doesn't require a stealth presentation like that. Letort, Falling Spring, sure.

A white wooly bugger is deadly on this stream. To fish a tandem rig, just tie on a trailing nymph and fish it like the bugger is pursuing the nymph. Like so much bugger fishing, there is no wrong way to fish it; only the way that catches fish for you. You could go with a single bugger and be fine as well.

The Donegal fish aren't highly selective and you can tie on a scud, SJW, generic nypmh, egg pattern, or streamer and have success.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 9:30

I fished Donegal last night for the third or fourth time this season. I caught a couple on top and then found them going crazy for a green san juan worm. The fingerlings stocked in the fall seem to still be doing ok. They are colored nicely and are plenty fiesty. There's a lot of summer ahead of them, though.

The creek is very low right now and the fish were concentrated in just a couple of holes in the section I fished from the bamboo up to the farmer's crossing. I was disappointed to see that the four wheelers had actually been riding in the stream. There were lots of tracks in the gravel bars above the stream crossing. This year is the first I've fished in quite a while. I used to fish Donegal a lot about a decade ago. I know they always rode ATV's and dirt bikes there but there seems to be a lot more evidence of it now and I never saw torn up stream bed from the activity before.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:42

What is the approximate, but as accurate as possible, length range of the fall stocked fingerling RT at this point in time?

Posted on: 2013/6/1 15:02

I didn't take a really good look at them. I was keeping them in the water as much as possible. If I manage to get down again and catch a few, I'll measure a couple of them. For a rough average I would say about 9".

Posted on: 2013/6/2 10:59

From Lancaster
Mike,

The last time I fished the Donegal was on May 5. I caught four of the RT fingerlings. I do keep a log of my fishing trips and looking back I estimated (not actual measurements) - 2 of them at 9" and 2 of them at 10". Can't remember if I took any photos of them. I'll have to check on my computer, if I have any photos of the May 5 fish I will email them through to you.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 16:28

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com