Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Conewago River, York County, 7/22/13

From Glen Rock PA
Fished the Conowego in York county yesterday. Weather was cloudy to partly cloudy, few quick sprinkles, lower 80s. Water temp was warm but not hot but not able to temp. Water was a little off color, with 2-3 feet visibility.

Started at 6:15 am. fished about 1 mile or so of creek from 3/4 mile above confluence of Little Conowego to about 1/4 below.

Had 9 smallies by 9:00 and picked up 3 more by 11:00.

This section of river has lots of rocky bottom some fast sections as well as some slower, deeper holes 4 feet deep or so. Fish were in scattered spots, 1 or 2 fish at a time and then nothing for 50 or more yards.

Caught 3 on a black popper with chartruse bucktail. 2 on size 8 chartruse clouser, 6 on black and flo red clouser size 8. Biggest fish was 13 inches. all fish were fat, most in 8-11 inch size. No signs of any skin sores. healthy looking fish.

Watched another fly-fiherman above me land a 17-18 inch smallie, on a large black bugger. He also caught a good sive channel cat.

Good day of smallmouth fishing. Had a few more hooked, and saw lots of chasers.

A few big carp on the river but not enough to consider this a good location for carp.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 10:23

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/7/23 22:48:43

Re: Conewago River, York County, 7/22/13

From York County
I really enioy that stretch of water, especially being a few minutes away from me.

Its not the best spot on the stream but if you work it it will produce some bass.

The Conewago is 80 miles long, so there's a few decent places to fish if you put some work in.

Sounds like a decent day. Nice report.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 8:27

Re: Conewago River, York County, 7/22/13

From Glen Rock PA
I would agree a decent day nothing great. I was kinda of surprised by the lack of rock bass and not many sunfish!? I have fished one other streatch near east berlin and caught more fish but mostly rock bass & redbreast. i plan to explore more of this creek, see what it is like near G.P. state park, seems a little more hilly there maybe some good rocky bottoms.

But now I have had 3 good days on the Juniata, so will be hard to stay away from there!

I will say being so close to the Susky I am glad the fish seemed so healthy.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com