Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Codorus & Conewago Creeks, York County, 7/10/13

Many people have long considered the term “Trophy Trout” for that water to be a misnomer. It sets unrealistic expectations and makes it sound that much more attractive to poachers. Lots of guys would like to see it called anything but ‘Trophy.’
The fish that do manage to grow larger have a lot working in their favor. I believe that most folks who don’t do well there simply don’t use the stealth required for wild trout in close quarters. They send those ‘sentries’ Maurice mentioned scurrying and alarm the better fish before they even cast. And most of the poachers I’ve seen over there don’t have the skills to do much damage. Do they luck into nice trout sometimes? I’m sure they do and it annoys the crap out of me – I’m just not convinced they have much effect. Most of the poachers I hear about (and I hear plenty) usually don’t have any fish in their possession. If they do, it’s usually only 1 or 2 and they’re not necessarily larger fish.
I’ve fished outside the TT area (in open water or with permission) where there’s no special regs, and little if any fishing (poaching or otherwise) taking place. I’ve found the numbers and size distribution in those areas to be same as the TT section. That tells me its habitat, biomass, etc. driving the size and numbers of fish – not regulations, poaching or whatever.
Anyway, say what you will about it, but the bottom line is that it’s a cold, healthy wild trout stream that we’re all lucky to have – we should enjoy it and work hard to preserve its future no matter how big the fish are.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:35

It is likely in this particular stream that the availability of big fish physical habitat exceeds the ability of the stream to support large fish due to the limited availability of forage fish. This appears to be true throughout the wild trout stretch except in its lower mile. In such situations large fish may roam substantially in order to find enough forage and occupy different holes at different times, leaving a few to many holes vacant with angler perception then being that poachers or substantial harvest of larger fish have been at work. Regulations that stockpile smaller fish and voluntary catch and release fishing probably contribute to this problem, but anglers might not be happy with the size of the reduction in the abundance of smaller to mid-size wild trout that could be necessary to improve larger fish abundance. And I am not certain that it would work in this case. The limited ability of the special reg area to produce larger fish was the reason why we originally instituted selective harvest (12") regs on this stream.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 10:52

From Banshee
You are right about the forage fish, I've only caught trout on codorus, where as on Muddy Creek I'll catch chubs 10-1.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 21:50

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com