Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Casselman River, Garrett County, MD 4/29-30/2012
Webmaster
Made it to the Casselman for a couple of days with Ron and Seep. For those not familiar it sits just off Route 68 in Western Maryland near Deep Creek. Very pretty area. The Casselman sits on the Maryland side amongst many Amish farms. The river the extends up into Pennsylvania.

Conditions:
Very sunny both days and very little wind to speak of. The air temp was about 70 degrees, water was about 58 degrees water was very low for this time of year and clear (50 cfs normal is about 150cfs). Mostly a mild hatch of caddis and mayflies all afternoon into the evening. Small tan caddis and were coming off during the day. Some very large spinners showed up in the evenings. Looked like March Browns and saw a few of those during the day.

The trout basically feeding most of the day on the caddis. Sunday was a very productive day and did pretty well on Monday. Fish were rising and responding in much most of the faster waters and runs. Although I think on sunday I missed more than twice as many as I caught. Very interesting on how the fish were going after or should I say not going after the fly. Stock trout are stupid.

Surprised to see so many palominos stocked in the stream. Nice time and great weather.

R32D29

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_7117.jpg (107.38 KB)
1_4fa0041e8dd20.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  photo.jpg (148.41 KB)
1_4fa004287af4c.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  DSC_7089.jpg (85.14 KB)
1_4fa0043098af7.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:54

Re: Casselman River, Garrett County, MD 4/29-30/2012

From Pittsburgh
I once stopped at Grantsville with the wife on the way back from another vacation destination. She hit the little shops in town, while I checked out the stream. Didn't have a maryland license, and never wet a line. But it is a pretty stream.
I was quite impressed with the old arch bridge that's located just outside of town. It's very large - in relation to the size of the waterway - and I wondered why it was built that way

Posted on: 2012/5/3 23:45

Re: Casselman River, Garrett County, MD 4/29-30/2012

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Maryland's free fishing days are the first two Saturdays in June and July 4.

Take advantage of the fish for free days...
http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/keepfishing/?page=freebayfish

Posted on: 2012/5/3 23:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com