HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Cape Cod, Barnstabe Co., MA, Sept 1 - 8, 2012

From Philly
Quote:

Gorosaurus wrote:
What kind of dog is Dilbert? He's adorable!

And that pic of the lighthouse is awesome!

Thanks!

He's a rescue so we aren't 100% sure. Definitely a beagle mix...the adoption place told us he was part chihuahua, but I could also see some jack russell or even dachshund. Those guesses are all we've got though.

Still hoping to get him used to coming fishing (FI, I think he could use a lesson from Benny). He loves exploring, but his nose will absolutely get him into trouble; so I still gotta keep a constant eye out. Someday!

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:28

From Philly
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
You can wade out on the flats at low tide at Barnstable, but make sure you get the Hell out of there before the tide comes back. 8-12 tidal exchange there, and many have had to swim. You'll have about 60-90 minutes. Throw sinking tip or head with small Cape Minnows into the deep water off the edges, and strip up onto the flat. They hang at the edge of the flat on both the upstream and downstream sides, and on the current rip. If you see them cruising the flats, throw a light colored crab pattern. Lead them 10' or so-they won't take one dropped in their grille as often as a permit. Short, short strips.

Thanks for the tips surf!

I did give the flats around west orleans a try one day. It was clear and sunny, and the current still had me on edge. I was probably close to a mile out and when the tide rose from my shins above my knees in about 15 min. I'm sure I could have stayed longer, but I didn't feel like testing it...I've read enough horror stories about getting stuck out there.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:36

From LV
Are you going to hit any trout streams while there?

Posted on: 2012/9/16 9:44

From Gettysburg
When I'm on Cape Cod.....I'm chasing stripers.

I can chase little brookies back here in PA. But to each his own.

I'm sure there's some interesting fishing for trout - including for salter brookies - on Cape Cod and Long Island. I just can't envision driving to these areas and not fishing the salt.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 14:40

From Gettysburg
Quote:

jay348 wrote:
(FI, I think he could use a lesson from Benny). He loves exploring, but his nose will absolutely get him into trouble; so I still gotta keep a constant eye out. Someday!

Bring him. Benny just won't be able to keep up.....but lessons from The Incredible Fly Fishing Weiner Dog are available.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 14:42

From Philly
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Are you going to hit any trout streams while there?

Nope, never fished the freshwater up there. Tons of ponds and there was a nearby "Trout Brook Rd" which I was curious about...never checked it out though.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 11:11

From Meridian, ID
Great report. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/9/20 15:34

From Boiling Springs
Trout streams in eastern MA are pretty rare. Aside from a couple of salter runs, they're really more like non existent.

The kettle hole ponds around Plymouth and the Cape hold some surprisingly big holdover trout however. Not to mention landlocked Salmon. They lack proper spawning habitat so all fish are stocked, but their are several ponds with excellent hold over habitat. If anyone is headed that way and interested in giving them a try, PM me.

Nice to see some pictures of my home water. This is the first years in close to twenty that I haven't fished for Stripers. I may just have to head up and see Mom and Dad. It's the best time of the year after all. Also, if you're up there, don't forget to head over to the Canal or the west end and look for some Albies.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 6:42

From Da 'Berg, PA
Fall is tough on the Cape, even before the southway closed. Most people fish with a car on the sound side or 4x4 and permits on the bay side or Nauset beaches.

The bass are where the bait are - you're chasing blitzes effectively from beach to beach or parking lot to parking lot. People look for birds.

Alternatively you can fish the sound side jetties on the upper cape for big blues and Albies but you need to know your spots and keep an ear out for local intel.

IMHO rhode island or even montauk are better bets now. RI spots like watch hill, napateague and south county beaches will put you on more consistent action.

The spring fishing from mid May onwards is a lot more consistent on the Cape than fall. The bay side beaches and creeks will produce bass daily on the fly up to 35" of more. Many times sightfished right on the beach.

Fishing the falling tides are safest, pick moon tides and overcast days for best results.

Any eyed sandeel pattern will do - olive over white, root beer over grey or lavender over grey, yak hair, fishair or flatwings, fished on an intermediate line .

I just moved to pa after 8 years of flyfishing the Cape, if anyone wants to PM me for info, Please do.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 15:38

From Philly
Thanks for the info geebee. If all goes as planned, I'm hoping to get back up again next this year. I may have a couple questions for you when the time comes.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 10:08

From Da 'Berg, PA
please do.

the fishing on the second moon tides of May can be outstanding regardless of the weather.

24th to 30th this year. i hope to be there myself.

i fish the upper cape mostly as its closer to Boston, but i hear the fishing can be great up at wellfleet (I've found it hit or miss) and the Pamet river on the outgoing, if you are staying on the lower cape.

if anyone has some spots on the delaware estuary down to Lewes and around the barnegat & stone harbor in NJ, i'd appreciate a heads up via PM.

best tide charts for the cape are on boatma - i use Sesuit Harbor for bayside tides.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 18:02

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
geebee I recommend grabbing a copy of fishing the new jersey coast. it by Jim Freda, a very well know guide in new jersey. the book is basically his knowledge along with several other guides too. the book give good info about all of new jersey. from fly to spin and boat to beach. There is a lot of places fish just got to get out.

as for barnegat IBSP is secret. id say stay central to north jersey. just imo.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 15:22

From Da 'Berg, PA
i'll have a look at it Marc thanks.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 18:27

From Morrisville
Not sure what is so secret about IBSP?

Posted on: 2013/1/2 18:53

From Da 'Berg, PA
i think he meant specific spots on the beaches - a bit like Nauset or the national seashore on the Elbow perhaps ? miles of 'empty' beach and people have their secret spots...

i wasn't looking for specific spots btw just sections of beach to explore for sandbars, cuts and holes or rips. points etc that are suitable for fly fishing.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:32

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com