Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bushkill Creek, Northampton Co.

Fished the unstocked water, caught 2 nice wild brownies,bushkill has some really nice wild browns you just have to find them. Fished it since I was a kid started flyfishing in 2000, talk about spot burning, trout unlimited put up signs on this creek about the wild trout in areas that I don't see many people fish but have seen more fisherman since. I did at one time contribute to them but no more. I don't offer no help when I fish there, just smile and walk on. I will try to figure out the picture thing.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:44

Edited by Fishidiot on 2012/2/27 7:42:34

Re: Bushkill creek

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
welcome to the board kid. What county is bushkill in?

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:53

From Gettysburg
Kid,
Welcome to the Paff forums and thanks for the report. If you don't mind, we ask for some essential info in reports. In your title line, please include the date and county fished (see others). Some info on what you saw in terms of water conditions is especially helpful. Insects and maybe flies that worked (or didn't) is useful too. Just saying "I caught a couple" is fine but is of little use to folks trying to get a grip on what the stream is currently like. What you've written is fine for a thread about Bushkill in the Stream Locations forum but could use specific info and date to be here in Stream Reports.
Thanks,
Dave W

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:55

Sorry, trying to get a grip, caught 2 on a purple pheasant tail I tied, seems like when the sun is out they work, bushkill in Easton, northampton county,not the catch and release although I do fish there,water was 46 degrees

Posted on: 2012/2/26 23:14

Re: Bushkill Creek, Northampton Co.
From Gettysburg
Kid,
Thanks. Date?
To upload photos, they need to be downsized - I usually select "weblog" size which I think is usually under about 100kb.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 7:44

From Long Island
Fished the C & R section on Wednesday afternoon last week, from the dam at Herco Dye down to the run they call the "Chute". Not a touch. Used san juans, eggs, sucker spawns, stones and pt's. Water was 46 degrees also. I think though during the wintertime the late afternoon is not a good fishing time.- Kev

Posted on: 2012/2/27 13:00

From Berks County
How does the catch and release section hold up after rain? I want to fish it in a few days, but there is more rain on the way. I looked at the USGS site, but the station was well upstream I think. It looks like it doesn't fluctuate much. Thanks!

Troy

Posted on: 2012/3/1 9:54

From Philadelphia
Here's the guage you want to look at. This is right there where the special reg area is. Looks to me to be quite fishable now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/ ... 446776&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

Posted on: 2012/3/1 10:03

From Berks County
Foxgap,
I did see that gage, but I was assuming it was upstream a bit. I know there are a lot of springs that influence the stream so I didn't know if that gage would be comparable to the stream downstream. If it is, it looks like rain doesn't have much affect on the stream as in a lot of limestone creeks. Thanks!

Troy

Posted on: 2012/3/1 10:12

From Philadelphia
Oh it can but I think you should be okay. A little off color never hurts. Let us know how you do.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 10:13

From Berks County
I will. I never fished here before, but always wanted to. I'm headed to Stanhope, NJ for a concert and we are going to fish before since it is right on the way. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2012/3/1 10:24

From Barto PA
I haven't fished this stream for a couple of years now and haven't seen the signs about the wild browns that kid mentioned. These signs are actually a great thing in that they are there to try to educate the general population as to the difference between stocked and wild fish and encourage people to release all wild fish they catch. Kid, if you only started fishing this stream in 2000, you have no idea of how many big wild trout it used to hold. Sadly, for one reason or another, the stream is only a mere shadow of what it once was when it comes to wild fish. Hopefully the signs will do some good. They certainly can't hurt.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 18:50

From Perkiomenville
I fished the catch and release section on Sunday afternoon. Fished from the 13th street bridge upstream to the first damn I came across. Only saw midges coming off and didn't see any risers. Ended up catching two browns, one around 12'' that looked to be a stocker (by the condition of the fins and body shape) and a 7'' wild brown. Both were caught on an Al's Rat. Not really sure I enjoyed the section I fished, as wading was pretty trecherous and the depth of the water was not something I was accustomed to. Some areas looked to be in excessive of 6' deep. Probably won't fish here again but since I was in the area it was worth a shot.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 12:43

From Berks County
I fished that same stretch a little while ago. That was my first time at the stream and also found that stretch to be rough wading. I was with my girlfriend so that made it worse. There are definitely some nice holes through that section, but it was tough to get around.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 12:53

From Northampton County
Hiya!

Frist time posting. Reading thru a few post there is a lot of unstocked wild trout waters on the Bushkill. I myself have fished that Creek for a good 18 plus years. And I have pulled my share of wild Brook and Brownies and stockies of all kinds. I live in Tatamy as a kid and have lived in Nazareth for years best places if your looking for wild trout would be Tatamy as it was stocked for years then became a wild trout stream but they were right about making it so I would say it is one of the best sections of the Creek.

From Tatamy bridge to the third bridge in Tatamy off Bushkill dr. But heck you could even fish almost all that into Penn Pump park then down to the C n R. Well I hope that helps I didn't want to make this a huge post so I left out the upper end of the Creek In Jacobsburg witch is better.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 0:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com