Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Y report

July 13 Report.

Fishing the Middle right now is pretty darn good. We fished yesterday with a gentleman from Pittsburgh who could throw a line like nobody’s business. He caught the trout slam: catching a nice brown, bow, and brook on various nymphs, streamers, and dries. Sadly though, the elusive Youghiogheny yellow trout managed to elude him. We had one just about to take when a greedy little bow snatched the fly from his waiting maw. He also managed to catch his best PA trout ever, end he fishes places like Penns and the J regularly.

On the downside, water temps on the lower section of the float are getting a bit warm. Morning fishing and the first half of the float were great, but afternoon trouting in anything but highly oxygenated water was pretty slow--dead, in fact. At four in the afternoon and one mile above the take take out we took the water temp--a luke warm 69. So our advice is to fish early or late down there, or pull some big streamers for bass as those temps are conducive to the bass bite.

Bugs on the river right now are the usual summer suspects: Iso’s, BWOs, Caddis, crane flies, Yellow Drakes (spotty), and midges. Terrestrials are taking fish as well.

Streamers and nymphs continue to take fish with 2 1/2 to 4 inch patterns working best in streamers and nymphs to match daily bugs will get ‘em.

So if you'd like to come looking for your personal best PA trout--give us a call or shoot us an email--we'd be glad to go looking with you.

I'd post a pic of the gentleman's nice brown, but I just got a new mac and can't figure out how to adjust the size yet. You'll have to check the website. www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

Have fun,

LHGS

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:48

Re: Y report

From Pgh
A little early for warm temps isn't it, even down there? Especially since the summer has been so cool.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:32

Re: Y report

On the river again today, temp in Ohiopyle 66 at 5 pm on a cloudy day. Not bad. But you have to consider that the Casselman has been peaking at around 80 each day. That's a big charge of warm water. Add to that all the exposed mid-river rock getting charged by the sun all day and you're going to have warm temps. Any time the discharge gets below 600 this time of year that bottom section of the middle gets a bit sketchy with regard to temps.

It fished really well today until the storms came through--oddly enough. It shut down for about three hours until the sun came out--oddly enough again.

All said and done we had around fourty fish in the boat, with a third of the being bass.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 21:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
101 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com