Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Good News / Bad News on the Yough

I'm going to lead with the bad news like Ali did with the jab: the mid-day trout fishing has completely succumbed to whatever disease has been eating away at its cratered and wasted bones for the past two weeks. Dead like Latin. It fought hard and made a courageous surge back towards the light on Thursday and Friday (thanks to some decent cloud cover), but alas, that seems to have been only the most final of its death throes as the sun returned on Saturday and silenced it once and for all.

Melodrama aside, mornings have been decent (four or five good fish in a morning is doing well right now) and so have evenings. There are still some caddis around in the mornings (16), bwo spinners (18), and the odd cahill with his or her timing off (14-18). You might see some sallies throughout the day and a the odd Iso, but they have certainly slowed down a great deal. We've witnessed some truly impressive spinner falls over the past few evenings, but very few fish have been on them, leaving us to wonder what in the hell they are on, if anything.

That being said, if you stick with it and really fine tune things to specific areas of the river, you can find some decent mid-day trout: it just isn't easy. A good angler ought to be able to scratch out ten good trout (not counting fingerlings) in a days fishing.

Doing their feeding after dark you might be thinking? I though the very same thought, so I stuck around after dark on two different nights and waited to hear the trout slurping the continuous mat of spinners pouring out of the riffle above. Didn't happen. I also had an interesting talk with some guy who had night fished the entirety of the night session for two nights in a row with only two fish to show for it and very little else to report.

So we, and everyone else with whom we've spoke of late, have been left to scratch our heads and ask what has happened to the fish? The heat wave? Maybe. Fish kill? Easy explanation, but unlikely. The incredible amount of rubber that the rafting companies have been putting on the Middle this year? Perhaps. Time will tell.

The good news: the lack of predictable trout fishing has led us to look elsewhere and to other species for bent rods. Bass and Youghiogheny bones have been the targets, and we've been finding them in some really respectable numbers and sizes. I can honestly say that I haven't had this much fun in a drift boat for a long time, so if you're up for some warm-water fun, the fishing is really good right now and should only get better as August arrives.

adieu'

LHGS

www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

Attach file:

jpg  typical bass.jpg (123.20 KB)
874_4c4dec0d7f9cc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  mid-day streamer trout.jpg (137.67 KB)
874_4c4dec1deb333.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  young man with best-ever bass.jpg (76.59 KB)
874_4c4dec31b900b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/7/26 16:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com