Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Back from the Heartland

The boys at LHGS are back from the west and the mid-west respectively and a fine time was had by all. Trout were caught in both venues (my little girl landed her first fly rod trout), but the lion's share of time was spent doing what vacationers do when with their families (which was a nice change of pace).

As for the river:

We went right back to fishing the bass bite this week and, if anything, the fishing seems to have improved while we were gone, which makes sense as it is August and if you like to fish river smallmouth here in PA, August and September are tough to beat. The topwater bite was off on the piece of river we fished, so we fished intermediate and fast sinking lines with larger flies in the 5-7 inch size range and did very well on bass of all sizes but managed to bring quite a few bigger bass to the boat as well.

We also managed to get some trout fishing done on the cold-water portion of the river this week and we found some good fishing there as well. We really weren't expecting that much as it was an afternoon foray, but it was a cloudy day so we took a chance. Lucky us. Good numbers of fish were on attractor dries in the heavier water in the river. Double dry-fly rigs with something big on the point and a small dropper worked very well.

We'll be back on the middle for a few days here at the end of the week though our season is winding down. Next week is the last before I'm back to teaching so the guiding will be a weekend only affair and it follows that the reports will slow down from there, but we will keep them as fresh as we can.

Remember that as August continues to wane our river temps will be climbing, and generally by sometime in September the flow from the dam will be so warm that any angler worthy of the name should discontinue the trouting until the water cools again enough that we won't be killing the trout we do catch. So keep an eye on the USGS site and more specifically on the temps at the dam and at O-pyle.

But right now you can pick your poison: get out there and enjoy some late summer trout fishing while we have the water temps or chase some native Yough game fish.

Either way there's plenty of fishing to be had on the river right now.

Best,

LHGS

www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

Attach file:

jpg  lots of these this week.jpg (74.82 KB)
874_4c69513e0f8e8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  my little girl's first trout.jpg (171.08 KB)
874_4c69518702e2f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/16 10:58

Re: Back from the Heartland
From Gettysburg
Good stuff. Thanks for the frequent tips, pointers, amd reports on the Yough. That river and the immediate area offers something for everyone.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 9:15

From Monessen, PA
The PFBC was supposed to dump excess hatchery trout in the 6"-9" range at Ramcat and Ohiopyle. Have you seen any effect from that or is it still to be done?

Picture of your daughters was cute; the catcher looks like a movie star with those shades. Was that out West? Curiosity makes me ask which creek you were on when that photo was snapped, but you don't have to tell.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 9:19

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Those fish were stocked recently, and with any luck, they'll hold over well and we'll have some very nice fishing over the next few seasons.

With regard to the mystery creek, it is west of Pittsburgh but east of Chicago.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 11:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com