where to start?

nealfish

nealfish

today i was near the beach so we drove down to look and i started thinking, what would ffing here be like? i want to get into it so ive been researching and it sounds like october is a good time for jersey coast im still only 15 so im not sure how school will work with this so prolly night fishing on like fridays if i can. theres a nice 10 wt in the loft but my dad says we need a new reel. possible that i could talk my couzin into it, he ff's a lot and i think hes got gear for the salt. starters?

your on the right track. This time of year head to Sandy Hook. Lots of places to FF, and a 10wt is just right. Are there better other places? Sure but that is a well know/easy to get to place with easy parking, well marked trails and lots of fish! Bring some clousers in white and white/chart and maybe a top water like a Bob's banger. Cabelas has a decent "Striper/Bluefish" Assortment. Not exactly they way I would tie them but they'll work.

Whats wrong with the reel?

i was just digging around and i found it. the drag is all messed up, its like the equivalent of a 4 wt drag. its an old reel but is it possible to fix that?

If you get your setup together in time, you should come to the Sandy Hook jam. Lots of guys willing to share info, and hopefully more good fishing again this year.

I only started fishing saltwater last fall, but I've seriously gotten into it. It can be tough, but it's definitely worth the effort!

I know some people will argue that you need a good reel but for stripers it's not as critical as for albies and blues. Bass tend to make short slow runs. But you will probably need a new reel. Lamson are the reels I use. It's got a great drag system and a big spool. The Konic it's what I use for my 10 wt and it a great reel. Cost about 100 bucks but I think you could find it cheaper somewhere online. Nothing like catching a bass on the beach. IMO saltwater in general is 10 times better then anything else. The salt would deffently be something you would want to check out. It a whole new world of fishing nothing any trout fishing.

i am going to start saving up some money for a new reel and im gonna talk my couzin into taking me to the salt jam maybe. would be awesome to get out to one of these forum events!

nealfish wrote:
i am going to start saving up some money for a new reel and im gonna talk my couzin into taking me to the salt jam maybe. would be awesome to get out to one of these forum events!

Your more than welcome to attend the Salt Jam I'm sure you will learn allot . Last year more than half of the people that attended it was there first fish/fishing caught in the salt and many were hooked after that . As far as your gear call the owner of Colton fly company his website is coltonfly.com and tell him you are coming to the salt jam and he will give you the discount to all jam attendees . Be warned the man loves to talk about fishing .

Back