what knots do you guys use for musky fly fishing?

J

joel

Just curious what others are using because when I go into the eight the knots seem to get hung up and spook fish.I use loop to loop then to special alright and back to loop to loop.I missed four aggressive fish the other day due to the knots hanging up or making noise scraping the guide.is there any way to not have so many knots? Thanks joel

Sounds similar to my setup except I use a uni to uni knot to attach my 2 sections between the loops on each end...not sure if that would make it anymore streamlined though.

I've heard of guys using shrink tubing up at the fly line connection to reduce hangups from the knots. But this seemed like way to much of a pain, so i never looked into it.

Maybe use a single piece of leader material to avoid the extra knot(s) between line/tippet/fly?

Perhaps TD/Paco can chime in once they are back from their Wisco trip.

p.s. 4 in a day is more than I've seen all year...good stuff!

joel wrote:
I missed four aggressive fish the other day due to the knots hanging up or making noise scraping the guide.

Interesting - I've never heard of this before, esp the part about knots making noise and causing muskies to miss. I'm guessing there's some other issue. But, with that said, I use the same leader set-up that I use for bass except for the tippet:

BUTT: 50lb connected with a splice to the fly line
BELLY/TIPPET: 20lb w/blood knot
Overall leader would be about 6-7 feet.

I think I might be doing something wrong then.it must be when I go into the eight.im new to the fly rod so im learning. How do you actually go into the eight on a fly rod?do you hold the line and rod in one hand or strip sweep. I got to figure out something.I did manage to have 2 more aggressive follows last night and they spooked before I went into the eight.water is way too clear.

joel wrote:
I think I might be doing something wrong then.it must be when I go into the eight.im new to the fly rod so im learning. How do you actually go into the eight on a fly rod?do you hold the line and rod in one hand or strip sweep. I got to figure out something.I did manage to have 2 more aggressive follows last night and they spooked before I went into the eight.water is way too clear.

Sounds to me like you're doing something right. Muskie fishing is mostly about putting in your time and finding fish in the mood. If you're getting follows....you're in the right place and time. You'll stick a fish soon enough.
With respect to doing a figure eight with a fly rod.....it's tough. I've never actually hooked a muskie on a fly while doing a figure eight. With conventional gear - esp from a boat - the trick is usually to get the rod tip down deep into the water. With a fly rod, esp if you're wading, you can't really do this. What I usually try to do is get the fly about maybe 12-20 inches out from the rod tip and sort of sweep the rod back and forth keeping the fly just under the surface. Of note: most of the time if you see a muskie following don't slow your retrieve. Speed it up! You can't pull that fly too fast for the fish. As soon as you see that fish behind the fly, give a rip and pull it to the side - anything to speed up and change the direction of your streamer. Aggressive muskies are usually right behind the fly/lure - we're talking just inches and are often snapping their jaws and rattling their gills. The fish that slowly follow several feet or more back from the fly are much less likely to eat. And I agree that, if the water is clear, they are tougher. You know where these fish are - go hit 'em when there is a bit more water or it's stained. Keep us informed - you're close and should get one soon.

Doing a oval or a figure 8 is almost impossible from the bank unless ur up on a rock something with deep water right infront of ya. And trust me noise from knots and scraping the rod tip on the bottom does spook a hot fish. Hitting the fish with your rod or bring a fish in on the turn through your shadow does.

Having oversized knots that get hung in the tip top and guides is a problem after hook up when the leader is up in the rod.

I don' t think the knots making noise scare the fish really because wouldn't the rod ripping thru the water spook them even more than just a noise. The biggest thing with big knots is when your leader gets stuck you have your fly stop and you can't do much so that just sorta gets the fish uninterested. I was always afraid that if I did hook a fish with the knot in the guide when it came back thru I would blow up guides. I used to go straight 80lb flouro from fly line to fly but now changed because of knots getting hung up. Now I use 3 to 4 feet of 40 to 50 pound flouro for the terminal part of the leader and then use about 1 foot of 80lb flouro for the bite guard. put some uv knotsense on the knot to help transition it into the guides. Just use a nail knot for leader to line connection and then that should be the only knot that you will have go thru the guides.

Thanks guys for the info.I managed to get another half dozen follows last weekend but can't get them to eat.maybe with the fullmoon il stick one.btw I fish from my 18ft jet boat so I dont have a problem with figure 8s other than the water is crystal clear

after 3 long months of teaching myself how to cast and friends telling me why am i chasing this ellusive fish with a fly rod i finally did it!!! a nice healthy 41" musky. i was starting to doubt myself ,but after losing a larger fish yesterday i knew i was going to get one.

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3
Sweet! With the action you've been seeing, it was only a matter of time.

Congrats.

Congrates on your 1st. And a very nice fish too. But all other types of fishing pales in comparison now doesnt it?

Well done Joel - you earned that fish.

(Now if if I could just find so many eager muskies). :)

Nice fish. Congrats.

I have caught many other muskies on conventional tackle since I began hunting them,but nothing compared to this. Not even catching my biggest fish a 35lb tank. I think il be fly fishing for life! Thanks guys

It is absolutely awesome to hook one on a fly rod. It's like nothing else and is such a rush.

Today I lost a nice fish,rolled another and had the largest musky I have ever seen following my fly and couldn't get her to eat.I absolutely love fall fishing.I will be haunted by this one for a while.the thing I just dont understand is my buddy is in the boat with me and using conventional gear and he hasn't even got sniffers and this has been going on for about two weeks now.oh well I can't complain about my action :-D

We fish along side of some buddies that throw gear and its usually 1 or the other. Either the gear or the flys on. But I'm confident now understanding the fish and waters more that I'm at least gonna get fallows ever trip. Which in its self gets you more focused on the process even more.

Back