Warmwater fun with my 3wt

1wt

I just purchased a new mouse and keyboard for my Mac. I can now play around with Photobucket to see where it all went to blank?
This is a test run for reports to follow?

Tight Lines,
1 wt

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss5/raf99_2009/IMGP1973-2.jpg
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss5/raf99_2009/IMGP1964-3.jpg

Is that first pic a white perch?

yes it is a white perch

Where do you catch white perch on the fly? I have always caught them in brackish water...never known them to be a fresh water fish.

BelAirSteve wrote:
Where do you catch white perch on the fly? I have always caught them in brackish water...never known them to be a fresh water fish.

Like you, I tend to associate them with brackish water and the Chesapeake Bay. They are, however, expanding their range in freshwater here in PA. Lake Marburg, for example, is swarming with 'em. If you can find 'em in decent sizes, they make for a great fish fry.

Fishidiot wrote:
Lake Marburg, for example, is swarming with 'em. If you can find 'em in decent sizes, they make for a great fish fry.

You are very observant, FI! Actually, the white perch in that pic is from Marburg a couple days ago!

The white perch breed two times a year and are overrunning Lake Marburg. Everywhere along the shore at Marburg are signs now that ask anglers to please keep all the white perch you catch.

Every morning and late evening, the schools of white perch gather on the top to chase the small minnows. A little streamer is just perfect for catchin' them. During the day time hours, the perch stay in deep, about 30', water and a spin rod is the only way to catch them.

As far as tablefare: yeah, from a clean lake like Marburg, the perch fillets are great eating. The big ones, usually around 11", have a dark red section in the middle after you fillet them. You have to cut it out because of the strong taste. But the smaller ones, 8" or 9", make a perfect white firm tasty fillet. I use a electric fillet knife and can make nice fillets in 15 seconds!

Most boats that troll in the afternoon are using inline spinners with a hunk of worm, and usually catch over 100 white perch every trip. Schools have been reported at ten feet thick and over 100 yards long...... they are taking over the lake and eating all the small other fish!

Even though I'm a C&R guy, I keep a few white perch to help the lake?

hey 1wt,

what parts of Marburg do you fish for white Perch , what nearby roads, access points etc, I have a kayak and can get to them if I need to. I have always liked WP fishing because when yu get into them it is just one after another.

when I lived in Harford co MD I use to fish rapids below Conowingo in July and Aug when water was shallow and bath warm. i would catch whie perch one after another lots of fun with a little current. Every now and then you would hok up and then a stripper would come and steel your fish and fly.

thanks

hey 1wt,

what parts of Marburg do you fish for white Perch , what nearby roads, access points etc, I have a kayak and can get to them if I need to.

Sorry for the delayed post! I haven't looked at the WW for a while, I'm obsessed with the OT forum?

Smith Station Rd has two access points, both are great, this is the best way to get to the deep water.

Sailboat Launch is also good, but now filled with weeds pretty good.

The Marina is also good.

When the white perch are on top, a fly rod is a beautiful thing. I smack them pretty good with a 3wt.
But 95% of the time you have to use a UL spin rod to catch the perch. I use 2lb NanoFil (.002 diameter) translucent super line with 1/80 oz jigheads with "Microspoons" soft mini plastics or I tie my own leadhead streamers.

I'm the only guy in Lake Marburg that uses a fly rod....... so I'm pretty easy to spot! LOL

Send me a PM.

why not make a small shooting head setup for a 3 or 4 wt. and troll flies too.

Back