Virgina Beach - Lynnhaven Inlet Area

TUNA

TUNA

I usually like to figure this kinda stuff out by myself, but I'm having little luck. I have a sister that lives a few miles from Lynnhaven Inlet @ Virginia Beach, and plan on making a few trips south this year. I found some info about the flyfishing in a "Kayaking" book, but thats about it.

I would be visiting in the Summer and plan on flyfishing. I am willing to take/rent a kayak or just fish from different beaches or jettys. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the area? Things like species, (Speckled Trout, Croaker, Sand Sharks, Cobia in deeper water, I wish, any more?). I'm also not sure what rod to use. I have a 10' 7wt Redington RS3 and a 9' 8wt Dan Bailey along with a few others. I have access to heavier rods, too. I'm lost on the rest of it. Lines? Leaders? Flies? Anything would help.

You have it down pretty good so far, the 8 wt. would best fit your needs. an intermediate line and a sink tip around 350 grain will do. as for leaders most time a piece of 20,40 lb. in 3 to 6 foot will do. A few 9' tapered down to 12-20 lb too for those spooky fish. lets not forget blue fish might want a wire trace. popper, clousers (chart./white/silver) deceivers, spoon flies, size 1-2/0 should do. maybe a few crab and shrimp patterns as well.

I started my saltwater fishing in Lynnhaven Cory Routh who wrote the Kayak Fishing book took me out there about 15 years ago. We fished in the inlet for spots and trout. Been going there every since at least one a year. Great fishing around the boat dock under the lites. Rudee inlet is another place to fish there. The Kayakers will fish the bridge tunnel out to the second island. Hampton bridge tunnel gets hit by the kayakers also.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I used to Vaca at Hampton Roads every summer, and fished off of the pier there. Well, the Pier fell in a few years ago during some weather and I haven't been down since. I got the itch to go again, and after reading the info you guys posted, it seems possible for me.

sandfly- I've never made spoons before. Is it okay to use Silly Putty for the molds or is there something that works better? Also, is there any special care needed for my reels after fishng the Salt. I imagine they'll need cleaned well and probably lubed up?

Just wash them good and dry, when you wash its best to remove the fly line. don't forget the rod too. especially around the guides..

you can use silly putty, I just tie the tubing on at rear then push the front on till the material flares out then cover with some sort of poxy. I use frbric paints easier to do..

Hey I'm glad I found this thread...especially on my "home" website. I'm originally from this area in Va, my family now lives in Norfolk. I've read a few articles about Fly fishing Lynhaven inlet but
never managed to get out and do it.
I've become somewhat disconnected from the fly rod the past couple years (in constrast to previous years where I was a total fishing spaz) due to buddies moving away, work travel, etc but after the Philly fly show I'm pumped up again.
So anyway I'm trying to do some planning to
make this a good year and would like to add this to my list.
If anyone could give me any tips it is appreciated...
-launch spots
-times of year
-times of day or tides
-etc

I have a pontoon drift boat, which I've never used on the salt. Don't know if there's any issues using it besides looking kinda out of place. Plus I have a trollin motor and don't know if I'd have to then get a boat license?
Otherwise I'm not opposed to renting a kayak.

Any info is appreciated...Thanks

Phil,
This is an area that I don't have much familiarity with. I've done some fishing around there and Tidewater in general including some kayaking in Rudee Inlet and surf fishing down at Sandbridge (I highly recommend the nearby VA Marine Science Museum). Really, Lynnhaven is a big and busy area but there are some public access areas and a pontoon boat would probably be a decent fishing platform for some of the backwater areas, esp with the motor. As for times of year, I'd focus on spring and fall. In the April-June period you can likely find weaks and specs and maybe some tailing reds. They're there in summer too (along with spanish, blues, and fluke) but harder to catch with a fly rod. In most cases, saltwater fishing is best with a moving tide and I'd imagine this area is no exception. You'll hear a lot of buzz about giant stripers and cobia and such around Lynnhaven but this is mostly outside the inlet around the CBBT and not a game you can play with a pontoon boat (at least I sure wouldn't try).

I'll be in Va. Beach a couple times this summer on business. I'm looking for the same info. Great timing. I'll just lurk and not hijack.

You guys might want to browse through;www.tidalfish.com in the VA Section.Good bunch on there

Back