Twisted Tippet

jbewley

jbewley

I read all the posts I could find on leaders, but they did not address this problem. I was casting bass poppers, using a six foot braided leader with a 3X tippet. I had no problem turning the leader over, but after several casts the tippet became badly twisted. I guess the popper rotated around during the cast, so how do I prevent this?

Jim

It's difficult to prevent sometimes. I notice it more with streamers than poppers, but still. Try moving to a heavier tippet...say 10 or 12 lb mono...the cheap stuff you'd put on a spinning reel. That's pretty thick stuff and it should be harder for the fly to twist it as you cast and strip. You can also try just changing flies. Sometimes one will be less prone to line twist due to minor differences, even in a seemingly identical pattern. Other than that, just deal with it and replace your tippet section every hour or so...easy to do with a braided leader and cheap if you're buying regular old mono in the big spools.

was the braided section new? and if so did you thoroughly stretch it out prior to fishing it?

Heavier tippit would help and a stiffer butt section too.

Thanks all. I'll try as you suggested.

Jim

+1 on the heavier leader - I use 12-14lb test for bass.

You might want to try a different popper. I don't like the ones that have a cupped face that is slanted. These heads often produce a fly that, when you pull it up to cast, will immediately spin like a propeller. Try a popper with a flush front that isn't slanted, these work better for me. I threw out all my slant head poppers years ago and won't go back.

Thanks guys
I was fishing yesterday and notice my tippet kept twisting

Back