Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tributary and "Small Stream" Smallmouth Waters?

From lancaster county
Conestoga River and all its warm water tributaries in Lancaster County have good seasonal bass populations.

They will even run up the tribs of the tribs. Some weedy, degraded spring creeks in Lancaster have excellent smallmouth bass fishing.

Its hard not to find a good bass creek in this neck of the woods.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 1:52

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
but I really don't know why bass fishing in creeks was so poor last summer (at least for me).

Whoa.... me too. Double weird. Lower Oil Creek, which held LOADS of smallish bass and was and EASY, quick fix: a place where I could take a kid or beginner and, barring the rough wading, give them a great time on smallies; was nearly BARREN of fish last year. I NEVER had even a decent day. Unless you knew Oil Creek, you wouldn't know how weird this was, but I'm sure you have you own 'gimmie' criks with lots of smaller fish. The Allegheny was bad after June. I only caught a couple in French creek, which, honestly, isn't as a fecund fishery as the other 2.

I can understand the big river being quirky. The fish can just disappear. But on Oil Creek: where would they go?

It's interesting to hear someone else from somewhere else having the same thing happen.

Syl

Posted on: 2011/2/3 17:29

From West Lawn, PA
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Conestoga River and all its warm water tributaries in Lancaster County have good seasonal bass populations.

They will even run up the tribs of the tribs. Some weedy, degraded spring creeks in Lancaster have excellent smallmouth bass fishing.

Its hard not to find a good bass creek in this neck of the woods.

My wife and I scouted the lower Conestoga River in December. Looked very promising for SMB. I'll prolly put a couple streamers in there on the first day of regular trout season. :)

Posted on: 2011/2/8 7:24

From Franklin Co. PA.
I've had good success for SM in the Conococheague south of Chambersburg.I try to get away from the popular holes close to roads and bridges.Taking the kayak for a float and hitting some of those out-of-the-way stretches is very productive.
This is my first year at a serious attempt of FFing so I'm looking forward to some Smallie action on some different gear!!

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:28

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
You may have read these reports from the MD DNR anglers log...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/ ... cen=t&sou=t&nor=t&amnt=10

and

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/ ... wes=t&nor=t&sou=t&amnt=10

I would check out Seneca creek up stream of Poole's country store. You may get lucky and hook up with some decent rainbows too. The patuxent upstream of Rocky Gorge is worthwhile. The Monocacy from Buckystown Dam to the mouth is excellent, but be very careful when wading in off color water. IMO, the MAC is currently the best river to easily locate smallies in the summer. The Susky is amazing in the fall, winter, and spring; however, it can be difficult to locate smallies in the heat of summer. You can walk the C & O canal during spring when the river rises to above 6 ft at Point of Rocks and fish clear running tribs. The higher flows cause the clear tribs to rise and hold fish. You will find trophies stacked up in schools and actively feeding in sections 100-200 yards above confluences. Conococheague Creek
is amazing and easy to fish, but it is very deep above the confluence. I would focus around an area where people like to race ;)- Lastly, don't forget to check out the warm water conservation park this time of the year. It's excellent from the discharge down to white's ferry.

If you need detailed advice I'll spot burn a lil'...

Posted on: 2011/2/9 9:21

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com